MMA and Muay Thai??

Hey everyone, I already posted something similar to this in the intro section but thought I would repost here to see if anyone else had some ideas/info. I am a 21 year old female really wanting to start Muay Thai or MMA and I live in the Beaverton/Portland Oregon area. I respect the sport and Im interested in all aspects of it. In other words im not looking into simply for the fitness reasons although thats a great element. Im pretty athletic already and and I want to find someone that is good and where I feel comfortable. Does anyone know of any good Muay Thai or MMA gyms in the Beaverton/ Portland area? I have talked to a couple of the main guys at the straight blast gym in beaverton and they seem really nice. Anyone have experience there? would it be a comfortable place for a female with no fighting experience to go? any help/info/opinions would be great!

That is the next place LizWorld will check out when she gets back. It's just down the road from us too, but we didn't have time to go to that gym based on the busy schedule we had when she was here.

So I'm sure we'll check it out soon too.

http://www.straightblastgym.com/where.htm

I didn't see Muay Thai on their schedule, but I think I saw it listed on the sign outside. Maybe I just missed it or mis-read is somewhere.

http://www.straightblastgym.com/images/portlandschedule.gif

Thanks for all the info! I think im going to go check out the straight blast gym next week, the one in Beaverton becasue its much closer to where i live. As far as kickboxing (sorry I dont know much about it) is it similar to Muay Thai? Obviously it uses legs, hands as well? And when I go check out the gym should i go during a particular class I want to attend, or do you have any recomendations about what class I should start in being totally inexperienced? I love MMA becasue it has everything in it, but i didnt know if it would be difficult to get into before i had experience in anything else. It seems like most people go from something like kickboxing, Muay Thai, or Ju Jitsu and then into MMA

kickboxing is usually very similar to Muay Thai these days and there is a lot of crossover. At my 'kickboxing' club, we do all the Muay Thai stuff - leg kicks, knees, elbows - but we also add more karate type stuff like fancier kicks and lots of boxing. Stricter Muay Thai will have a few less techniques overall and the Thai traditions and philosophies behind it. Kickboxing may have Japanese or Thai traditions or none at all. It really varies from club to club. As far as your progression - the instructors will help you decide on a program that suits your needs and goals. It's awesome that one place can teach you to stand up, take it to the ground and everything in between. Have fun!

Nice joliesxstar!

I will stay in Portland for 6 weeks and during them 6 weeks I was hoping to train muay thai or at least kickboxing at least 3 times a week!!! (besides for aikido and some weightlifting, and hiking...and anything else I can do before training to death hahah)

Maybe I have a new playmate

Let me knw what you thought of that gym. Of course, I'll check it out anyways.. I did go to one muay thai place but I wasn't all that keen on the instructor (who I think was a licensed MT instructor, at least he kept on blabing all about how good he was and the license he had and well...I stopped listening after a while) or the trainin gitself and the place. It lacked that humbleness that I love about MA and the training was just...messy! I just didn't really feel welcome.

But there are other places (thank goodness - because 6 more weeks without MT is not going to happen, it's been 4 already and I want to cry becaus eI miss it so much!!)

So i went to the straight blast gym in beaverton today to go and check it out and set up a consultation. I met and talked with mike and watched a MMA1 and 3 class. The atmosphere was super comfortable, it didnt feel like there was any ego, Mike was incredibly nice, the facility seemed nice, and it looked like a hell of alot of fun. So thanks everyone for all the info and help! I start thursday, super excited

Awesome! That is great! I'm sure I'll swing by that place at some point when my friend comes back. She'll be really into it.

Have a great time there, I'm glad our community was able to give some good advice, and it seems to be a great place to train!

So i went to the straight blast gym in beaverton today to go and check it out and set up a consultation. I met and talked with mike and watched a MMA1 and 3 class. The atmosphere was super comfortable, it didnt feel like there was any ego, Mike was incredibly nice, the facility seemed nice, and it looked like a hell of alot of fun. So thanks everyone for all the info and help! I start thursday, super excited

Awesome!

I can't wait now!!!!

I hope you have fun

Awesome, I think you will really enjoy it!

sorry for the really late response/question, LizWorld, how long have you been training Muay Thai for??

Not long enough lol

Since january, so Im still a beginner, I have a lot to learn but heck, I have found my true passion!!! In the near future I will move to thailand and practice MT as much a I possible can...

Thats awsome though! I still wish there was a really good MT place here in Portland, ive been interested in it for so long. Im really liking the BJJ and the MMA though, but going Thailand or moving there and training would crazy! Youd learn sooo much though, those guys train hardcore. Are you checking out the Portland straight blast gym?

Thats awsome though! I still wish there was a really good MT place here in Portland, ive been interested in it for so long. Im really liking the BJJ and the MMA though, but going Thailand or moving there and training would crazy! Youd learn sooo much though, those guys train hardcore. Are you checking out the Portland straight blast gym?

I h avent checked out that gym yet. Im flat broke and as soon as I get paid, Ill go there to check it out. Dang, I have only been doing MT once since June 7th..its driving me nuts!!!!! If I dont get to train soon, I dont know what Ill do lol. Ive never tried BJJ but Id love to. Im just one big MA fan