joints cracking

roc

According to what a chiropractor told me, if the popping sound happens just once when you do a particular movement, then the sound is usually gas buildup releasing, and that it's a good thing.

If you repeat the movement right afterwards and it makes the same sound again and again, then it's usually caused by something like a tendon slipping across a bone. If that's the case and you keep popping it, you can irritate things.

Crepitus. Some say its ok, some say its bad. I have it in my shoulder. It's because I lifted like an idiot before and now my shoulder isn't up to par like it should be. However, I get it when I do triceps, but it isn't painful at all. In my opinion, I think some cracking is ok while other cracking isn't. There may be incorrect rubbing of bone, etc, or it may not be bad enough to cause damage. I'd just get a feel and if it doesn't hurt, you're probably groovy.

If it doesn't cause any pain, most of the time its just water getting into the joint which is good a lot of times. Otherwise its bad if there is built up scar tissue and or bone on bone friction which would hurt. Either of these is bad...I've got a big problem with that in my hands and wrist.

• 2 weeks later...

"bone on bone friction which would hurt. Either of these is bad...I've got a big problem with that in my hands and wrist." ouch veganpotter.

no pain for me however doesnt sound like much thanks everyone.