Nutritional Yeast??

I just bought Nutritional Yeast for the first time . . .

Everyone raves about the flavor - but, mine seems quite flavorless . . .

Anyhoo - does anyone know any risks of supplementing with this??

Candida??? Yeast infections???

I bought it because of all the positives and now I'm thinking . . . hmmmm . . . maybe I don't really want to eat this stuff!!

Thanks!

I can't imagine any problems from it. Also a lot of them say they won't cause candida and it seems like none of them would because they aren't really very different.

I just bought Nutritional Yeast for the first time . . .

Everyone raves about the flavor - but, mine seems quite flavorless . . .

Anyhoo - does anyone know any risks of supplementing with this??

Candida??? Yeast infections???

I bought it because of all the positives and now I'm thinking . . . hmmmm . . . maybe I don't really want to eat this stuff!!

Thanks!

Nutritional yeast is "killed" yeast -- it can't reproduce or cause any type of infection or overgrowth.

It's a great source of B-vitamins and can be an ingredient in tasty "cheesy" sauce!

I've tried a couple different kinds... one was in a shaker container, it said "nutritional yeast" but also said "brewer's yeast" on it. The taste was mildly cheesy and sort of nutty and the texture was granules. It was ok, but I didn't like it much. I forget the brand name.

What I usually get is the nutritional yeast flakes from the bulk bins at Whole Foods Market. The flavor is a bit more pronounced, like sharp cheese. This is my favorite, so far.

Check out the Uncheese Cookbook. Lots of suggestions on things to do with Nutritional Yeast... I like it on my popcorn!

I have a copy of this one, too... definitely a good resource for former cheese addicts like me.

• 3 weeks later...

I love nutritional yeast. I never heard the MSG thing before....interesting.

I make a "cheese" sauce with it often and put in on noodles for mac and yeast, on pizza instead of cheese, i sprinkle it on salad, popcorn, beans and rice, lentil curry, toast. There is lots you can do with it.

If you want b vitamins you have to buy enriched Nutritional yeast. Redstar vegetarian formula is the best and most common. It is what most health food stores stock in there bulk section. the label should say on the bulk container if not just ask a clerk to go in the back and check the box. It is best to keep it refridgerated.