Acai

I tried Acai a long while back, but have recently rediscovered it... Wanted to know if anyone else uses Acai in their diet. I've done a lot of reading and aside from being called a "Superfood", it's also been called an energy fruit.

Can't tell if it has caffeine or something in it or if it's just energizing some how.

would love to hear other people's experiences with Acai

I love açaí! My Costco used to sell the boxed açaí juice which I thought tasted awesome. I also have some Sambazon açaí frozen sorbet which i'll throw into my smoothies sometimes. I think it's found it's way into a few other things I eat.. I know ProBar has some açaí in it and I have some sort of protein/health powder thing that has some in it as well.

I think it's fantastic fruit that tastes awesome and makes you feel great too. Just wish I could find those drinks again. I saw them at a health food store the other day but they cost twice as much as they did at Costco.

I love it too. I can't afford to make it a part of my daily diet but I would if I could. I love how it tastes and its extremely antioxidant rich...but so are lots of things.

I don't know what makes it a 'power' fruit, but the proponents say it's full of powerful antioxidants. According to Sambazon, Acai berry harvesting is totally sustainable and is actually more profitable for the Amazonian farmers to harvest it, than to cut down the rainforest and plant soy for cattlefeed. That's gotta be a good thing.

I use the Sambazon smoothie packs once in a while. They're great, altho a bit pricey. One of these days I'll spring for a tub of the Acai sorbet. Wonder if it'll be as good as the hemp 'ice cream'...

I don't know what makes it a 'power' fruit, but the proponents say it's full of powerful antioxidants. According to Sambazon, Acai berry harvesting is totally sustainable and is actually more profitable for the Amazonian farmers to harvest it, than to cut down the rainforest and plant soy for cattlefeed. That's gotta be a good thing.

I use the Sambazon smoothie packs once in a while. They're great, altho a bit pricey. One of these days I'll spring for a tub of the Acai sorbet. Wonder if it'll be as good as the hemp 'ice cream'...

I picked a 3-pack up at my Costco awhile back. Don't know if they still have it, but it wasn't too expensive there.

Açaí - ah-suh-e

most of people don't even know what the real acai is, cuz if you're not living near the area that produces acai, you're probably not going to find the ''real'' thing, without any water added or anything... the real acai has a strong flavor, it's really good, it's also really thick... it's totally different from the 40bucks-water-flavored-mixedw/berries people buy...

it's the truth guys... in belem/pa/brazil you can buy more than a gallon of acai... w/ less than 10bucks.. pure acai.. not the acai w/ water or berries added people buy..

Edited by andgbr

I just drank it actually. It was super thick. Maybe a tiny bit thinner than mashed bananas but not by much. I loved it...despite the fact that it felt sticky icky. It came in sort of a soft drink box with a peel off foil cover for the opening which made it a bit harder to drink.

• 4 months later...

I was in Florianópolis, Brasil in February of 2006... I had quite a bit of açaí while I was down there. Its so good and filling.

The resort I work at in Wisconsin Dells hires Brazilian Students every winter to come up and work on 3-4 month visas. One of the students who works for me just gave me some dehydrated açaí pulp today. Here is the brand: SATERÉ MAWÉ

I have been looking for the pulp to purchase and could only find one online site here: Diamond Organics that carries the Sambazon organic frozen pulp. Price is about $2.80 to $3.40 per 3.5 ounce bag, depending on how many you order. (price figured included their $25 standard shipping charge plus $1.25 per pound). Does anyone know if this price is high? Seems good to me. I might be ordering some in a few weeks.

Is it expensive there too??? Or is it like Yerba Mate? Good Yerba Mate is pretty expensive here but damn near free in Argentina and Paraguay.

The only place I purchased it was on the beach at little smoothie bars. It came in the traditional bowl, with bananas and granola. I think I remember it not being cheap at these little smoothie bars, but at the time I had never heard of açaí so I didn't know what to expect for a price. I think it was comparable to about $4-$5 (US dollars) for the bowl I got, but I'm sure you could get in the grocery store for cheaper, but I never looked for it when we were at the grocery store. I have several long time friends from Brazil and could ask what them to find out the in store prices of the frozen pulp... I'll find out and post it...

Acai tastes graaaand! I love it!! it has more

antioxidants than red wine or even green tea or carrots....keeps you young!

in 100g:

calories: 247

wetness: 45,90g

proteins: 3,80g

fiber: 16,90g

calcium: 118,00

Phosphor: 58,00

iron: 11,80

Vitamin B1: 0,36

Vitamin B2: 0,01

Niacin: 0,40

Vitamin C: 9,00