Human Weapon - new martial arts tv show

tonight on the History Channel there is gonna be a new show about various martial arts styles. from what i can see there will be several episodes. here is a quick summary.

"The Ultimate search of a Human Weapon, Each episode of HUMAN WEAPON charts an expedition through foreign continents, famous cities, exotic villages, back alleys and lush landscapes with hosts Jason Chambers – mixed-martial-artist and professional fighter – and Bill Duff – former professional football player and wrestler, who will learn how each individual location gave birth to its distinct form of combat and will study their form of martial art."

some styles they will be covering in different episodes include Muay Thai, Pankration, Judo, Krav Maga, Eskrima, Sambo, and alot more. it debuts friday, but it will be repeated a few times over the weekend. looks interesting, catch it if you can.

here is the website: HUMAN WEAPON

Saw it. Most of the show was pretty cool - I'm going to pretty much all the places they showed in Thailand in December - even one of the Muay Thai gyms (Sor Vorapin 1) if I can find the time. ANd I'll definitely be going to the fights at Lumpini Stadium, I'm staying at a hotel around the corner at one point in my trip.

It was cool to see the different forms of Muay Thai and Krabi Krabong - esp the Lop Buri (monkey town) style. The fight at the end was a joke though. The Thai guy would've knocked that host out so fast. It was obviously a staged exhibition for the show. They weren't hitting hard at all - it was sparring! Still, I look forward to the rest of the series - next one's Karate I think.

I watched the muay thai episode and told Lizworld all about it.

such a cool episode. the fight at the end was defintely dulled down to sparring for the tv show. But I Cant wait to go to Thailand one day! and im excited to start muay thai within next couple of months.

thailand is so beautiful. I want to live there extended time if I ever can!

Thailand's a cheap place to go and train Muay Thai for a few months or even a year. There are camps everywhere - you live there and train every day. Fighters from my club have done it a bunch. I'm going to go and train for a couple months one of these years. My December trip will be too rushed to stay in one place and train. I'm going all over Thailand, Cambodia and Viet Nam in one month. Next trip I'll take some time to live at a gym. It's so cheap and the training is intense.

Thailand's a cheap place to go and train Muay Thai for a few months or even a year. There are camps everywhere - you live there and train every day. Fighters from my club have done it a bunch. I'm going to go and train for a couple months one of these years. My December trip will be too rushed to stay in one place and train. I'm going all over Thailand, Cambodia and Viet Nam in one month. Next trip I'll take some time to live at a gym. It's so cheap and the training is intense.

yep.

I plan to save up and go to Thailand for as long as I can, after I do a eurotrip. i want to move all over thailand and see the nature, animals, landscapes, and people. and of course the curry!

yep.

I plan to save up and go to Thailand for as long as I can, after I do a eurotrip. i want to move all over thailand and see the nature, animals, landscapes, and people. and of course the curry!

Word!!!

VV '08 - Training at Tiger Muay Thai in Phuket, Thailand?

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vegan vacation thailand is a must.

we should seriously suggest it.

theres so much exotic fruit, the biggest vegan animals on earth (elephants) and many other beautiful animals we arent exposed to, and varying landscape from coast to northern thailand hills and forests. and money will go a long way in Thailand. its a perfect place for a vegan vacation and eco-tourism.

VV '08 - Training at Tiger Muay Thai in Phuket, Thailand?

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vegan vacation thailand is a must.

we should seriously suggest it.

theres so much exotic fruit, the biggest vegan animals on earth (elephants) and many other beautiful animals we arent exposed to, and varying landscape from coast to northern thailand hills and forests. and money will go a long way in Thailand. its a perfect place for a vegan vacation and eco-tourism.

Word!!!

(I think I'm starting to repeat myself!)

There's apparently an MMA gym and sort of famous MMA figther in Decatur. Maybe if i find time for a job school and training next year I'll do this. If not I will have enough money to train next summer. I got screwed this summer. Long stupid story and mainly my fault.

VV Thailand sounds kickass!!!

Anyone see Episode 2? It was about Escrima - really good. I didn't know a whole lot about Escrima - it looks like a very practical, street-wise martial art for the most part.

I wasn't so enthused about the animal abuse in the show - they wrestled a water buffalo - quite unsuccessfully, but the guy was trying to pull it down by its ear. And the Escrima ring doubled as a cock fighting ring, of course they showed a bit of cockfighting and didn't say anything about it other than it was illegal in the US and had deep cultural roots in the Philipines.

I wasn't so enthused about the animal abuse in the show - they wrestled a water buffalo - quite unsuccessfully, but the guy was trying to pull it down by its ear. And the Escrima ring doubled as a cock fighting ring, of course they showed a bit of cockfighting and didn't say anything about it other than it was illegal in the US and had deep cultural roots in the Philipines.

i'm with you on that, especially the cockfighting. i can't believe they even put that footage in the episode. very disappointing.

at least this fight was not an exhibition fight. that Escrima champion put a serious whipping on the hosts. broke his finger i believe. i'm looking forward to the Sambo and Krav Maga episodes.

i missed this last episode but am gonna try to catch the encore over the weekend. anybody see it?

by the way, that Tiger Muay Thai looks amazing!

The Karate episode was pretty cool...

Although the matches seemed kind of silly, since hand to face contact was not allowed, I was definitely feeling the guy hitting a boulder to toughen his hands up! That was pretty insane.

...reminded me of my early training, except that I was in a small town in Southern Ontario, Canada, not Okinawa, and I didn't hit boulders to toughen my hands. Kyokushin fighting may look a bit silly without the face contact, but it's pretty hardcore. No gloves, no padding and it's all about power. The kickboxing style I'm doing now is a mix of Kyokushin and Muay Thai. We do some Kyokushin-type rules sparring as well as face-contact/full contact that's more Muay Thai. Our traditions, stances, kata etc are all Kyokushin. I enjoyed this episode a lot - so much was familiar. The hosts looked really out of place as Karateka, was sort of funny. The training and conditioning was pretty intense though!

This isn't a bad series, despite the cheesy intro, the odd animal-rights cringe moment and the goofy hosts.

Or when the hosts reiterate a concept for our benefit right after an instructor has explained it, and get it slightly wrong... Oh well. All I keep thinking when I watch the show is that those two hosts had a great job for a while!

• 3 weeks later...

did anyone catch the Pankration episode? i had only known very little about it, i really enjoyed all the history and old school workout techniques they had. and it goes back so far, thousands of years ago. but it looks like a modern MMA fight. great episode in my opinion.

now i have to wait until tomorrow to catch the Krav Maga encore.