Amaranth

Zack

Does anyone eat this? It's a huge protein source, and carb source and it tastes very good! I just discovered it, seems like it would be great for people bulking. I can't eat much of it cause it has too much iron, but it seems like it would be a healthy bulkers dream!

Nutrition Highlights

Amaranth, 1 cup (195g)

Calories: 729

Protein: 28g

Carbohydrate: 129g

Total Fat: 12.7g

Fiber: 29.6g

*Excellent source of: Calcium (298mg), Iron (14.8mg), Magnesium (519mg), and Folate (95.5mg)

I believe that's 1 cup dry... so it makes maybe 2.5 cups cooked.

I just ate a cup dry's worth, before I realized how much iron was in it...

Sadly, I'm still hungry. Gotta reduce portion size next time around!

I haven't had it but Jamie and I bought some a while ago and still haven't done anything with it. We planned on making the popped amaranth but never got to making anything with it. I don't know why because we spent a lot of time looking for it and finally found it and never did anything with it. Thing is we may never do anything with it because its all over Portland and when you can get something all the time you normally don't take part.

I really want to start eating it. I eat quinoa and rice all the time but I've got to get into amaranth as well. I think I'll try it this week

We'll have to make some when I get there. It's good stuff.

I don't think iron and vitamin c together really make that much of a difference. I rarely ever think about what I take my iron with...and when I look back at it I really only get vitamin C in my morning smoothie and maybe my desert smoothie which has pretty low iron. I get my iron in the middle of the day without any vitamin C source and I punish my body nearly every day without problems. So I'm thinking you take in most of it...probably a higher percentage of iron is absorbed than even protein.