Tattoos During Vegan Vacation (read soon)

robert

I want to get a hoop in my nostril. I'd like to get my eyebrow done again but that didn't go so hot so I'm trying not to think about that for a while.

lol that's one freaky foursome man

Quick question though. How much would a Tattoo cost?

I am sure it is due to color choices and size. So allow me to paint ya'll a small lil picture. I want it on my right uper arm( Right under my shoulder...I think it's called my bicep ) I don't know the exact inches/diameter of it but I'd say maybe five inches high and two inches wide. It's going to be a white rabbit with a gun, a mean look and plenty of attitude. All Black and white.

For the most part tattoos run about $100 per hour(thats the going rate but some really well established artists charge much more). If you get a custom job that takes many many hours(meaning over 10 most of the time) the artist generally gives you a price for completion since things may come up that make the tattoo take longer.

Damn! I wish I was going to Portland. I so need to find a vegan tattoo place here in NYC. *sob* all the good stuff seems to be out here in the west.

Hey, good news. I went to get my first pair of vegan shoes at MooShoes today and they are quite lovely btw. More importantly, I asked the tatted worker about vegan tattoo artists and she directed me to a place nearby so I went to check it out.

It's called Daredevil Tattoo and the artist who is a hardcore vegan and does many vegan themed tattoos is Seth Wood.

Info:

http://www.sethwoodtattoo.com

http://www.myspace.com/sethwood

email: [email protected]

addresses:

Daredevil Tattoo: 174 Ludlow St (212)-533-8303

Brooklyn Private Studio (Bushwick) (917)-548-2120

I asked about vegan inks and they said that almost no one uses non vegan ink anymore. It is alot more expensive and perhaps, maybe, possibly, some of the old timers may still use it but few and far between. They said the ingredient used in non vegan inks was glycerine but that was a very long time ago. Obviously, he uses vegan ink as well. They said to book 3 months in advance as he is the most well known vegan tattoo artist in NYC. His fee is $200 per hour and negotiable on bigger projects.

Syrlinus, I checked out his portfolio, it's good. On his links page, they also said he's quoted on temptations ice cream page, interesting.

Well anyhow, this seems like a great route to pursue, hope it helps your cause!

He does great work...I'd definitely be interested but $200 is high...I'm guessing that has a lot to do with cost of living in NY.

most likely. It is a very expensive area where that tattoo parlor is located. Perhaps if you contact his cell and get work at his private studio it is cheaper. I have no clue; maybe he just overcharges and gets away with it bc of his reputation and talent and people don't mind paying extra.

What's the situation with the artist in portland at scapegoat? Would they design it for me if I gave them an idea of what I wanted? What is their name? Do we have a date and a time in mind that we can go together?

Yeah, I was there with another forum member and she gave Brian (the owner) a description of what she wanted and he whipped something up in the next day or so and showed it to her and she was super excited and ended up getting it and loved it. So yeah, he can design something after communicating with you.

Thanks for the link. I'm just getting back from being on planes for 15+ hours.

I took a look at his gallery and it's great! It's not just the inks that are in question but also the vaseline that is often used to make movement of the needles easier.

I'm thinking of getting a bike grease mark -- either tire, chain or cog -- tattoo'd on my leg (it's a play on the fact that I get so many grease marks when I do my tours )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IMPORTANT!

I need to get a hold of the crew on monday and book a date.... Those who wanted to get tat's, ideas on an agreeable date that we'd all go together? That would be cool.

Why? I spoke to Brian and he is completely booked up until January 2009, WOW I need to see if any of the other artists can accomodate me, hopefully they can

let me know please

• 3 weeks later...

I scheduled my appointment; Sam is going to ink me. So excited, my first tattoo!!!!

Anyone else booking yet? I would suggest it as I believe he was the only one that was even available when I tried....

I am going on the 27th and it is estimated to take 3 hours. 12:30 in the afternoon I believe.