vegan soap

veganmadre

I like Dr. Bonner's soaps. It comes in a paper wrapper. Many different scents. I had one that had hemp in it. I also use a bar soap that has tea tree oil in it, it smells very good. I dont know about lotions. When I was little I had sensetive skin and would break out with many soaps. My mom found that dove soap worked well on me. I dont remember breaking out b/c of soap, but if i still am sensetive the two soaps i first mentioned have not had any adverse effects on me.

Instead of lotion, try coconut oil. Put it on right when you get out of the shower and your skin is still damp, so it seals in the moisture. It'll take a little longer to "soak in" than lotion (you might even have to towel off the excess) but for me, it works so much better. You can even use it as hair conditioner. Rub a tiny bit between your hands, then run fingers through wet hair. (Just don't get too much... )

The long lists of ingredients on some lotion bottles is just too creepy for me. Especially the ones that list "alcohol" - why put that in something that is supposed to moisturize? Coconut oil is cheaper than lotion, too. A bottle lasts me a really long time.

Thank you both! Most certainly will look into coconut oil (where can I purchase that?). Bought some soap and shampoo from Trader Joe's today. Couldn't find Dr. Bonner at the other natural foods store in the area but will definitely look for it at Whole Foods next time I drive to Monterey. Skin feelilng ok tonight....( I got TJ tea tree oil soap - smells great!!)

hey veganmadre,

May I ask that you please boycott Trader JOe's for now? WHile Wholefoods and WIld Oats have agreed to STOP selling eggs from caged hens, Trader Joe's has refused to do so.

THere is currently a boycott directed against them, and you could help by signing the petition -details of it are in a thread by Rob entitled "Trader Joe's Eggs" or something like that.

Thanks - I know the animals can count on you!

You should be able to find coconut oil in most health food stores, like Whole Foods Market. Since the book about the Coconut Oil Diet was published, I've started seeing it more in mainstream grocery stores, usually in their "health food" sections. You may have to hunt for it, though - I've found it with the cooking oils, with hair care products, and sometimes in other weird places.

• 1 month later...

I buy my soap in China Town (Downtown L.A.) I found a little store where they sell all kinds off stuff, they sell the best soap for only a buck a piece and its supposed to be made by monks in China, its made from flowers and vegetables, they smell great and they leave this computer dust covered geek quickie clean. I don't know how good it is for the skin but its animal free and cheap. I drop by once a month to buy soap and incense. Look for places like these around your area, eventually you'll find something good that won't cost you a lot.

I recently bought some Dr. Bonner's Hemp Rose Soap. It is WONDERFUL (thanks B)! And, I'm not supporting Trader Joes and purchasing their soap (which by the way I can buy 4 bars of for the price of 1 Dr. Bonners)!

Please do tell me, Natalie, when Trader Joe's gets their junk together!!

Crypto, I live up north between Monterey and Santa Cruz...I think I've seen that soap up here in New Leaf. I'll check it out - it was dirt cheap! I didn't see ingredients so I wasn't sure about it.

Tiff,

You might want to send trader Joe's your receipts of your purchases from the other stores and tell them that you are giving these other places your business until they stop supported battery egg farms!

This is a great activist tip for everybody. Collect receipts and after you have accumulated say a hundred dollars worth, send them to your Trader Joe's or preferably the head office with a letter explaining why you arae boycotting them and want they must do in order to regain your business!

It can be to other stores too that you have an ethical problem with. Not just trader joes. I will keep you all updated on the Trader Joe's campaign in this thread.

peace

• 1 month later...

just bought some awesome vegan dish detergent today - "Nature Clean natural grapefruit dish detergent"! Smells good enough to eat!

and no animals had to be blinded or burned for it. and its environmentally friendly. and my dishes came out sparkling. and it wasnt that much more money than your average evil "sunlight" or "palmolive".

so it is a win win situation all around.

just bought some awesome vegan dish detergent today - "Nature Clean natural grapefruit dish detergent"! Smells good enough to eat!

My FAVE dish detergent is "Earth Friendly Products Ultra Dishmate." Smells like almond and cherry (reminds me of some Aveda hair products). No animal testing. No animal ingredients. AND it cuts through things that some other dish detergents I've tried don't (lothers leave a film on the glasses I use for my morning smoothie, this stuff cuts through the stickiness and leaves no film).

For soap, I used to use the liquid stuff, but since reading that liquid soaps require some kind of preservative, and bar soaps don't, I usually use bar. My favorite "de-stinkifying" soap is "Tursday Plantation Tea Tree Vegetable Soap" (tea tree works well as a natural deodorant, antiseptic).

• 2 weeks later...

Many of you probably suspect that I work for them, but I don't.

Aubrey Organics rocks. Their skin & hair care products are the most pure on the market. Check out their website & then go to your local HFS to see if they carry what you want. If not, ask them to get it. I'll bet they can.

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/

BTW, if you have dry skin, I see they are offering 15% off their Rosa Mosqueta products. I finally got my husband to start taking care of his skin better & he's very pleased with the results.