Vegan Friendly Cities (is yours?)

ronnie kray

I live in Watsonville, CA - which, like you Ronnie, is an immigrant, farming town. Very LITTLE vegan options - even the beans have lard, etc. But, that said, I live within 20 minutes of Santa Cruz and Monterey California and both of those places are very veggy. Santa Cruz appeals to the hippie veggie while Monterey meets the needs of yuppie veggies. It's a neat balance but I still haven't found my niche. A small drive is all it takes to stock my pantry, so I really can't complain.

Tempe, AZ - where I used to live, had vegan options very close but I didn't sense the veggie environment because it was such a large college town.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My city is pretty vegan friendly, there are a couple of completely vegan places to eat ( although the quality isn't really up to my standard)

but most restaurants have a few vegie optoions that are easily altered to vegan status and no one has a problem doing that for me.

also there are a few completely organic independent supermarkets close to me which stock a large range of meat alternatives, although all the supermarkets here have a section for that kinda stuff.

• 2 months later...

i just found out a new thai place called LOTUS has just opened in my city. i called already, and apparently i am not the only one requesting vegetarian dishes, because the man i spoke with said they can replace the meat with tofu in any dish!

guess who is gonna be a good customer!

Very veg friendly in Boulder, CO. Three Wild Oats, one Whole Foods, a local store called Vitamin Cottage. Years ago we even had a vegetarian grocery store! Do you know how nice it was to shop where there was no meat/fish counters?

All the restaurants offer at least a couple of veg items -- maybe not vegan. We also have a few restaurants that offer 40% veg/vegan menu.

A few years back there was a chain restaurant that didn't offer any veg entre. They had so many complaints the owner negotiated with the chain to offer a veggie lasagna.

compassionategirl, Trader Joe decided to stop selling eggs from caged hens because of HSUS campaign.

http://www.trackingtraderjoes.com/2005/11/trader_joes_to_.html

I don't care if it is cage free or not, I never buy eggs and dairy products as long as I live because soon or later chickens and cows (and calves) face cruel death in meat packing plants.

Nobody can get eggs and dairy products without hens and cows therefore egg eaters and dairy eaters are contributing to slaughter of these sentient creatures.

Violet thank you for the update on the HSUS Trader Joe campaign. I'm sure CG will not be buying eggs and dairy, regardless of whether they are caged or free range and I'm sure many here feel the same way as well.

A couple of vegetarian places have started sprouting up here, but none of the markets around here that I know of are completely meat and dairy free. Oh well, at least I can get most of the vegan stuff I need/want at some stores and online (thank God for internet shopping! )

Edited by Crash

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

Crash, I love that quote! Very nice.

Thanks CrispyQ. It's a "veganized" version of a quote.

compassionategirl, Trader Joe decided to stop selling eggs from caged hens because of HSUS campaign.

http://www.trackingtraderjoes.com/2005/11/trader_joes_to_.html

I don't care if it is cage free or not, I never buy eggs and dairy products as long as I live because soon or later chickens and cows (and calves) face cruel death in meat packing plants.

Nobody can get eggs and dairy products without hens and cows therefore egg eaters and dairy eaters are contributing to slaughter of these sentient creatures.

That's all well and good, but it's nowt to do with vegan friendly places. I can't say anythin though, the amount of threads I hijack.......

Well, since I'm in a small town rather than a city...no.

I can get some vegan food at a couple of restaurants, but I prefer to eat my own cooking (no white flour, or excessive salt, or whatever crap is in restaurant food, and a much better selection!).

I know of one other vegan in town, and he is friends with the owner of a German restaurant, so there are some actual vegan dishes on that menu, but when I ate there, I was not impressed (they made a rather ing tofu chocolate cake for my birthday, and I must say, it would probably be enough to turn people away from veganism! Another time, someone I was with got badly burnt potatoes. )

DC is quite veg-friendly. thanks in part to many advocacy groups that are located here - Compassion Over Killing, Vegetarian Society of DC, Farm Animal Reform Movement, PCRM, etc. PETA had their headquarters in the suburbs for years, which also probably contributed.

There are a handful of veg*n-only restaurants and others that serve both. There are a few places that serve vegan brunch. There are a handful of places that serve vegan cheese pizza. There are two places you can get soft serve vegan ice cream. There is an all-vegan bakery. There are vegetarian-only catering services. There is a movie theater that serves vegan hot dogs. There are a handful of veg*n-only health food stores/co-ops.

I feel quite lucky.

If anyone is interested, this tells you more:

http://vegdc.com/restaurants.php

But I was just wondering if the people that work for HSUS (an animal welfare organization) are mostly veg*n. Did your conversation with Balk reveal any insight into this "burning" question of mine?

apparently, HSUS used to have the nic-name "HS-useless" in the AR community. i think b/c they were mostly focused on companion animals. but, that's changing.

since Wayne Pacelle (the executive director of HSUS) started, there has been a better focus on farm animal welfare and advocating veg*nism. he's vegan and was chosen as exec. director of the year by VegNews.

they have a great farm animal welfare team that is mostly (if not all) vegan and they now have a vegetarian starter guide. i know/have met about 10 vegans that work there.

Mine isn't very veg friendly at all. There's one hfs that sells a vegan wrap & I can find almost everything I need in terms of food, but I have to order a lot of our toiletries online (or pay an arm & leg for them at the health food stores!).

Vegan Essentials is a 45 minute drive from us, though, so that's kind of nice. Um, I have yet to visit their store, though. doh! Then there's Madison, which is about a 2 1/2 hour drive. They have Peacemeal, which is a vegan restaurant, plus other vegan friendly restaurants.

So, living here isn't all that bad. I still can't say I like it much here, but I don't have much choice at the moment.

Grand Cayman is sort of vegan friendly. All 4 supermarkets offer vegan selections that are actually pretty reasonably priced compared to the price of other foods in general. I find it kind of fun to watch people gripe about having to pay $5 a gallon for milk when my soy milk is only 2.86 a gallon! All the restraunts (I've been to so far) offer vegan selections and there's agreat Thai restraunt that has a special vegetarian menu--awesome food BTW. There is also a vegetarian only restraunt in George Town.

However, the concept of animal rights and treating animals humanely is not exactly well accepted here. The poorer residents of the island starve, abuse and neglect their animals horribly here and there is no real law enforcment to stop it. So it's quite frustrating.

Otherwise for such a tiny little place and last remaining British Crown Colony, we're not doing too bad..

New Mexico is not vegan (restaurant) friendly. What very little there is, is very expensive, snobbish and aimed at health nuts. And there is very, very little of even that.

why are there so many "price point" vegans who cry about shit being expensive? i'm sick of having to eat in cheap, gypo places simply because the owners of veg eateries seem to think that vegans like squalor.

There are 0 vegetarian restaurants around here. The vegan options at restaurants are severely limited. Italian places usually have 1 pasta dish that is vegan. Salad is easy to find. That's pretty much it!

Luckily the grocery stores are pretty nice though. There's Whole Foods, Trader Joe's(even though I don't shop there), and Meijer's surprisingly has a lot of stuff(more expensive than even Whole Foods though ). So as long as I don't eat out I'm OK.

Milwaukee isn't great, but it could be worse compared to other large cities out there. There are a few places that recently expanded their menus to offer a selection of vegan dishes, but most of them are deep-fried type things so if you want to eat healthy it just isn't happening. But, there's getting to be enough to where a vegan doesn't have to worry about not having enough choices, particularly if you like Japanese, Chinese, Middle-Eastern, Thai, Indian and other ethnic cuisines. Standard American vegan fare is slim, but hopefully this will get better.

Oh yeah, there's also this shop called VeganEssentials here. I hear the owners are pretty decent people

• 5 months later...

I think Richmond is a great vegan city considering it only has about 200,000 people and its considered a southern state. We've got two vegetarian restaurants(1 being vegan)...not a big number but they are great. VCU(my college) has a great vegan section in the cafateria(open to the public too). And we have a great natural food store(not vegan but lots of goodies)

• 2 months later...
is the city you live in vegan or vegetarian friendly? like with lots of restaurants with vegan options, or supermarkets with a large vegetarian selection?

I am from Toronto and the city is VERY VEG friendly ~ from restaurants to festivals to supermarkets. There are so many options to choose from here, it's great and I feel fortunate. I love living here (but I'm still the only veggie i know!)

Your not looking hard enough...there's gonna be a ton of vegans there...just walk around for a day with a shirt that says VEGAN in big letters and you should meet a bunch of people

VeganPotter, I don't doubt there are many vegans in the city of Toronto, in fact I'm sure there are hundreds and hundreds! Just recently, I've developed great online friendships with wonderful veggie and vegans (mostly in the States, go figure).

I don't have much free time and with the free time that I do have, I spend it with my wonderful friends. However, I will make sure to take your advice at the same time.

Edited by Honey