Had my first yoga class yesterday

suz

So, a friend took me along to one of his yoga classes last night on a free pass. I was pretty nervous and didn't really know what to expect but I LOVED every minute of it.

I'm pretty flexible already and have great balance (from kickboxing 4 times a week) I was pretty happy to discover that I could do the eagle on my first try without much difficulty. That got me pretty stoked.

Yoga seems to be the perfect thing to add to my kickboxing schedule -- wicked cross-training. I'm just wondering if going only once a week is too little? Or does it really matter how much you go?

Hi!!

In an ideal world and probably according to most styles of yoga - it is most beneficial to practice every day - even smaller amounts of time - rather than one long practice.

However . . . living in the real world - and loving all types of physical activity - sometimes we only have the chance to practice once a week - which is of course, better than none at all.

In my perfect world - I get up - do cardio first thing . . . then have a weight training session around lunch time and have a yoga practice 5pm or after . . .

Ahhhhhhhh. . . to dream . . .

Depends on what you want out of yoga.

When my flexiblity is lacking (due to the weight training) I try to go three times a week (every other day).

If I just want to get in touch with how my body is feeling, and a good indication of how my mind and spirit are (hips tight, neck tight, or just about anything else that is uptight), then once or twice a month is good.

If you keep learning yoga, you will see how alot of poses are strength and flexibility all rolled into one, and you can incorporate them into any other exercise routine you might have.

When I weight lift, I like to check out the muscle that I am working on, in correct alignment in a yoga pose, and feel with a learned body intuition as to what is going on with that muscle. Can I lift heavier? Did I lift too much and am going to have to call it quits and start recouperating it? Shall I lift light with alot of reps today, or go heavy with massive intensity in one or two reps?

All in all, every class seems to impart some wisdom into my world. So it matters not how much you go, just what you get out of it when you do.

Well, it didn't take long for Suz to drag me into the yoga studio for my first class today - but I'm glad she did. It was amazing! I won't be stepping out of the ring anytime soon, but I'm definitely adding yoga to my fitness regimen. I'm hooked. It's a great counterpart to martial arts training, and a nice change of atmosphere.

I think flexibility training is super important and it is good to balance out the shortening of muscles with the lengthening of them.

I just won a free 2 week unlimited pass to a Yoga studio here from the Vegan Vacation silent auction! Whoo hoo!

It is an AWESOME studio too.........and just down the road from you Annie and Todd are the owners and they are super nice!

Have fun with it! I may be doing more classes at Yoga Union soon too. Yoga has already helped me in a number of ways and I only took about 4 classes over the past couple of weeks.

I've found that doing yoga more frequently early on is a big help in getting some of the basic alignment and flexibility down. You don't even need to go into the studio every day. Try to work on a few basic poses at home every morning in addition to your weekly class and you'll see some awesome progress.

Yeah, yoga's great for bodybuilding. Check out this advanced yogi, Harold Zinkin (Mr. California 1957 and founder of the company that makes the Universal Gym), doing a backbend at Muscle Beach.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2006/09/09/2003251540.jpg