melon seeds

Hero

I dont see why not.

I dont know...just like why dont people eat the outside of a banana or an orange peel? I didnt know if we were supposed to discard the inside with the seeds, or if we can eat those too.

I am new to fruits

Unless they're blended, they'll go right through you-which is what the plant wants for dispersal purposes. Did you know that some seeds actually need to go through a digestive tract in order to become viable? Pretty cool, the relationship that has evolved between predator and prey, isn't it?

I think that, like all seeds, they're not the best nutrition, but probably won't hurt you in moderate quantitities.

Watermelon seeds cleanse the kidneys when eaten whole!

Grape seeds are a great breast cancer fighter and are even more effective when grinded into powder.

Apple seeds have some poison so a big no no! cyanide i think cant remember.

Apricot seeds when you break the shell and take out the white seed, is a great cancer and tumour fighter.

The white part of citrus fruits contains bioflavanoids which the body needs and is great for hemmorrhoids.

You can research all of this information in google. But stay away from any propaganda from pharamceuticals trying to taint beliefs.

• 3 weeks later...

I chew and eat watermelon seeds. Canteloupe seeds have a hard surface, so I chew them up, swallow the inner part and spit out the "shells".

why dont people eat the outside of a banana or an orange peel?

Orange peels will give us indigestion, so people learned not to eat them.

Apple seeds have some poison so a big no no!

Ooops! I just started eating some - from home grown apples 'cause they're really soft.

Veganitaliana, those aren't good words to describe plants and animals. There's kooks out there that already think plants feel pain.

I EAT LOTS OF WATERMELON SEEDS ALONG WITH THE FRUIT ITSELF AND NOTHING BAD HAPPENED TO ME SO FAR

ABOUT ORANGE PEEL, IN MY COUNTRY WE MAKE IT SWEET AND IT'S DELICIOUS AND VERY HEALTHY (WHEN THERE'S NO WHITE SUGAR IN IT).

P.S. I WOULDN'T DESCRIBE MAN AND FRUITS AS PREDATOR AND PREY. WE'RE NOT CHASING THEM TO KILL THEM AND I THINK THAT FRUITS DON'T HAVE ACTUALLY A CENTRAL NERVOYS SYSTEM AND A BRAIN FOR PAIN MESSAGES. AFTER ALL, IT'S ONLY NATURAL FOR A TREE TO LOOSE ITS FRUIT WHEN RIPE...

P.S. I WOULDN'T DESCRIBE MAN AND FRUITS AS PREDATOR AND PREY. WE'RE NOT CHASING THEM TO KILL THEM AND I THINK THAT FRUITS DON'T HAVE ACTUALLY A CENTRAL NERVOYS SYSTEM AND A BRAIN FOR PAIN MESSAGES. AFTER ALL, IT'S ONLY NATURAL FOR A TREE TO LOOSE ITS FRUIT WHEN RIPE...

In evolutionary biology, those are the scientific terms used, better words could be chosen I suppose.

Very useful thread - it does seem strange that some seeds are said to be okay whilst others, such as apple seeds, are said to be toxic.

Since seeds need to be dispersed intact in order for new trees to grow, it seems logical that they are not supposed to be chewed up and digested.

It also seems logical that seeds contain enzyme inhibitors, as has been discussed before.

I'm open to other theories ...

Very useful thread - it does seem strange that some seeds are said to be okay whilst others, such as apple seeds, are said to be toxic.

Since seeds need to be dispersed intact in order for new trees to grow, it seems logical that they are not supposed to be chewed up and digested.

It also seems logical that seeds contain enzyme inhibitors, as has been discussed before.

I'm open to other theories ...

Interesting . But SPROUTS are SEED-lings as well. . Thoughts?

PS: I think weighing everything in the same vessel is not the best. Most plants use some kind of pollination. BUT THEY ALL .. use a variety of different kinds of pollination techniques (school biology memories)

I am thinking some seeds were designed (by nature) to be EDIBLE and some not EDIBLE. The pollination was designed such that it would depend upon the RATIO of SUCCESSFUL seed to number of seeds produced.

Hopefully with the given POLLINATION CARRIERS (wind, water, birds, animals, etc) the RATIO would be met.

I think weighing everything in the same vessel is not the best. Most plants use some kind of pollination. BUT THEY ALL .. use a variety of different kinds of pollination techniques (school biology memories)

I am thinking some seeds were designed (by nature) to be EDIBLE and some not EDIBLE. The pollination was designed such that it would depend upon the RATIO of SUCCESSFUL seed to number of seeds produced.

Hopefully with the given POLLINATION CARRIERS (wind, water, birds, animals, etc) the RATIO would be met.

totally agree

I've been a bit confused on this topic but it's clear now that some seeds are edible and others aren't. I thought of some more that most obviously are: the seeds of kiwifruit, dragon fruit, passion fruit, figs ...

Figs can be eaten with the peel. it's healthier as long the figs aren't larvicided, and my doctor has recomended it to me especially for this season as they have a very very strong antioxidant effect for some specific toxins our body gathers during summer months.

I think we cant do a one size fits all move. I was reading about the diets of Chimpanzees (closest living species) and Gorillas & Orangutans.

They suppossedly dont even have that much FRUIT. They have minimal amounts of INSECTS and maybe EGG on a rare occassion.

Chimps are very light in weight compared to us but their muscles are MUCH stronger.

Go figure the myth of size & strength.