Are You a Vegansexual?

gkleinman

That article makes it sound insane though...!

The main point is that people who don't care about animals are ethically unsuitable to be my partner, and therefore I wouldn't have a relationship, or any sexual contact with them. Not for those weirdy-beardy reasons in that article. And it's not 'extreme', it's just common sense. Non-vegans generally are not happy dating or having sex with people that practice other things which they find ethically wrong, such as cannibalism, murder, rape, child-abuse etc.

My wife and I went vegan together seven years ago, so yep--chalk me up as a vegansexual!

I'm sure there are many people who think it's extreme to only consider a vegan mate, but funny thing that freewill stuff, eh? While I'm not a Christian, I fully understand how important it is to some people to have a Christian mate. I understand that and would never knock that decision.

Veganism is definitely important to me and I think even if I were single...it would be tough being with somebody who sustained themselves on something that once got around using its muscles, just like me.

Your husband is an exceptional guy and he's totally awesome in so many ways.

I still haven't read the article, so I should. I do know that anything "long-term" for me will have to be with another vegan. I just know myself well enough to know that is how it will need to be for me to be happy.

Now....time for me to actually read the article

hah.. that was an interesting article.

I'm not a strict vegansexual, but I hear raw vegan sex is an entirely

different level than just vegan sexual experiences...

maybe one day I'll research this topic a bit more indepth...

do you know someone who is a rawvegansexual?

Why yes I do. Most of them are in relationships though, which can make it alittle bit easier.

And well..I would love to be, but I'm not sure how much I'd like to redefine the word "picky" in this lifetime... so, preferrably vegan is good

enough for me at this point

Why yes I do. Most of them are in relationships though, which can make it alittle bit easier.

And well..I would love to be, but I'm not sure how much I'd like to redefine the word "picky" in this lifetime... so, preferrably vegan is good

enough for me at this point

Maybe raw vegan cheating sex is *EVEN* better than just plain raw vegan sex.

I am... but I'm not. I can date and relate with non-vegans; I don't let it preclude me from hanging out with an otherwise awesome person as long as they respect my choices. For a serious relationship, I do prefer a partner who is vegan or at least vegetarian.

A raw vegan partner would be fantastic... but what are the chances of that? (I can keep dreaming...)

why not nonsmoker-sexual? or jewsexual?.. it's totally unnecessary to create names like that, and people only do that to torment us...

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the term is a bit silly.

why not nonsmoker-sexual? or jewsexual?.. it's totally unnecessary to create names like that, and people only do that to torment us...

I agree that it's completely unnecessary. I think they do it to make us look like freaks. Why? Because it makes them feel more normal. Why would they want to feel more normal? Because they think we might actually have a point, but they aren't willing to make that big an ethical commitment in their own lives - and they feel guilty about that. But rather than admit it, they attack in this passive fashion. Sad for them.

Everyday, people decide who to date and who to not date based on ethical compatibility, and that's all that study proves.

what's so different about vegans choosing vegans over omnies? isn't that what a lot of people do? choosing their own ''kind'' instead of the ''different'' ones.. ? it's much easier to live with someone like you, instead of someone totally unlike you.

Yeah I don't know why there is a word for it. Like I said before, I don't think it is to do with sex, it's to do with lifestyles, and ethics. As a heterosexual, I am only attracted to women. A vegansexual makes it sound like you're only attracted to vegans, which is nonsense. I still find non-vegans attractive, but because of their lifestyles and lack of ethics, I don't see them as possible partners. So it's not to do with sexuality, the word is pretty dumb.

• 2 weeks later...
why not nonsmoker-sexual? or jewsexual?

Well, there is 'Ecosexual' -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecosexual

Which is about ethics and morality.

This 'vegansexual' thing is an offshoot of ecosexuality.

I still find non-vegans attractive, but because of their lifestyles and lack of ethics, I don't see them as possible partners. So it's not to do with sexuality, the word is pretty dumb.

But what you are saying is that you would not view them as possible [sexual/romantic] partners, because they are not vegan.

Your reason differs from that given by these 'vegansexuals' though, in that it's mainly an intellectual decision, rather than being more like a basic matter of revulsion because they are walking graveyards.

I don't know whether that means that only people who wouldn;t get it on with non-vegans for that specific reason, would be considered to be 'vegansexuals' .... but that's the impression I get from the article.

I think they do it to make us look like freaks. Why? Because it makes them feel more normal. Why would they want to feel more normal? Because they think we might actually have a point, but they aren't willing to make that big an ethical commitment in their own lives - and they feel guilty about that. But rather than admit it, they attack in this passive fashion. Sad for them.

I see no evidence to suggest that this was the motivation of either Annie Potts or the New Zealand Centre for Human and Animal Studies...

For all we know, the woman might be vegan herself.

although, it's unlikely, who knows !

Certainly, plenty of vegans seem to be grabbing the terminology with both hands....

I would love to have sex with a vegan, though I never have. I'm sure they taste better than omni's, because after all, you are what you eat!

Then why in the world would you eat decomposing meat???