which fruit contains all essential amino acids?

Hero

I forgot about that site. Thanks for the link.

I love that they question the negative aspects of certain diets. I also like the explanation of why personal stories (called "case studies" in much research) are necessary when new ideas are discovered but before much research has been done. Hey, that was for you, Flanders!

I believe that there are definite downsides to many diets (including vegan) and it's unfortunate that many don't know how to eat properly and supplement properly for a certain diet. There is a lot of recent research (more recent than some writings on that website) that could help vegans and omnis reach their optimal health but the politics surrounding food and health seem to slow the flow of information significantly.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to feel guilty by this but I started reading this web site:

http://www.beyondveg.com/

I skimmed through it a little - and unless I'm missing something - it's not at all vegan friendly...

One of the main reasons I follow a vegan life style is for the health benefits - and according to this website, we're healthier when following an omnivorous diet and we were meant to be omnivores...

It seems to me they're attempting to debunk veganism in general just as much as raw food veganism...

I guess sometimes it's good to look at it from both sides, but this site isn't very encouraging...

????

I skimmed through it a little - and unless I'm missing something - it's not at all vegan friendly...

One of the main reasons I follow a vegan life style is for the health benefits - and according to this website, we're healthier when following an omnivorous diet and we were meant to be omnivores...

It seems to me they're attempting to debunk veganism in general just as much as raw food veganism...

I guess sometimes it's good to look at it from both sides, but this site isn't very encouraging...

????

Well no your right....I mean anybody can fail at something then trash it, if he was successful at it he would of been singing it's praises!

This site has been around for years infact it was one of the first websites on Fruitarianism that I came across when I first started out, man it broke my heart because I felt so good but this guy was saying it was not healthy, well needless to say I carried on anyway, then later found out that basically he messed up all by himself, he didn't take care of himself and messed up then trashed the lifestyle, it's pretty much the anti-raw vegans go to site because he pretty says what they want to hear to back up their opinions, personaly I've learnt from my own experience and been around too many healthy raw vegans that are living the lifestyle correctly to fall for that.

Which is cool because all is fair in love and war but the new raw vegans that don't know any better need to know that there's hope!

Check this out!!!

http://www.ecologos.org/tb.htm

Edited by Bigbwii

This is ran mostly in part by vegans, veggies, and raw foodists. They are taking a more down to earth approach to debunk general myths that vegans to raw people say about their diet. That it isnt the be all end all health goal. I do agree on the vegan aspect of it, because I didnt go vegan for health, I went for animal rights, the health just followed. But it helps many people recognize like with any diet they have to take things carefully or end up unhealthy.

Its nice reading about the negative raw aspects because most of the information out there, like many have said here, is personal and sometimes filled with holes that may work for one person, but not others. This website helps explain in more scientific down to earth ways why raw can be good and why it can be bad, instead of heads up in the clouds opinions that I have found in a lot of raw books, that say all cooked food is poison. That to me seem more of a turn off that scientifically looking into the diet.

????

Well no your right....I mean anybody can fail at something then trash it, if he was successful at it he would of been singing it's praises!

This site has been around for years infact it was one of the first websites on Fruitarianism that I came across when I first started out, man it broke my heart because I felt so good but this guy was saying it was not healthy, well needless to say I carried on anyway, then later found out that basically he messed up all by himself, he didn't take care of himself and messed up then trashed the lifestyle, it's pretty much the anti-raw vegans go to site because he pretty says what they want to hear to back up their opinions.

Which is cool because all is fair in love and war but the new raw vegans that don't know any better need to know that there's hope!

Check this out!!!

As I was reading the fruitarian section I was thinking of you Bigbwii! Like I stated above, I like the website, and I love being raw, but sometimes its nice to get a second opinion about things :/

????

This site has been around for years infact it was one of the first websites on Fruitarianism that I came across when I first started out, man it broke my heart because I felt so good but this guy was saying it was not healthy, well needless to say I carried on anyway, then later found out that basically he messed up all by himself, he didn't take care of himself and messed up then trashed the lifestyle, it's pretty much the anti-raw vegans go to site because he pretty says what they want to hear to back up their opinions.

Check this out!!!

As I was reading the fruitarian section I was thinking of you Bigbwii! Like I stated above, I like the website, and I love being raw, but sometimes its nice to get a second opinion about things :/

Hey man, that's cool, sometimes it just seems like people aren't happy until they find fault with something.....at the end of the day if your happy with your lifestyle and I'm happy with mine, who cares about opinions....keep on keeping on man!

Well, i havent taken the time yet to read through the whole page and all articles but i read the "IDEALISM vs REALISM in raw foods" article

http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/ideal-real/idealism-realism-1a.shtml

and found what it said quite reasonable. I don't think the article it's against raw foodism or in favour either. It just clarifies some things that you have in your mind mixed up. Personally, as i was reading, i found myself more in the "realism in raw foods" aspect while at some specific points i was definately in the idealism side (like the fruitarian biological structure of humans for instance). When i explore the other articles too, i guess i'll have more complete opinion of the site...

I'm not so sure about that beyondveg site or Tom Billings. Found this after a little searching:

http://www.ecologos.org/tb01.htm

The point is, everyone's got an opinion, there's an 'expert' out there espousing the virtues of every point of view on nutrition. For instance:

http://www.biblelife.org/myths.htm

What do we really know except what we feel and observe in ourselves? I know I feel the best when I eat more raw. I ate 100% raw last January and February and it was cold here in Canada, and I had no cravings for cooked food. After a weekend of hanging out with and shooting (photos!) of some raw foodists who are big in the raw scene (Dr.Doug Graham, Matthew Monarch, Angela Stokes, Aaron Ash and all their counterparts) I am going to get back to a higher percentage of raw. I know how I felt, I know how I should feel, I know how I feel right now. And, man, did those people look healthy!

What do we really know except what we feel and observe in ourselves? I know I feel the best when I eat more raw. I ate 100% raw last January and February and it was cold here in Canada, and I had no cravings for cooked food. After a weekend of hanging out with and shooting (photos!) of some raw foodists who are big in the raw scene (Dr.Doug Graham, Matthew Monarch, Angela Stokes, Aaron Ash and all their counterparts) I am going to get back to a higher percentage of raw. I know how I felt, I know how I should feel, I know how I feel right now. And, man, did those people look healthy!

oh wow! You were 100% raw in January-February in Canada??? And no cravings for anything hot (foodwise) ? that's awesome man! would you mind sharing of what you had been eating at that time? If you did it in Canada it's much more feasible in Greece i guess. i just feel that there arent much raw to eat during winter and the energy slack feeling cannot be avoided. If we'd live in our caves like bears it would be easier but we humans have been so dramatically evolved that we need a lot of energy during winter too...

I ate a lot of fruit and greens. Sure, it was imported fruit, but it was better than eating stored grains and potatoes - which is about the only thing that's local here in the winter. Except for maybe greenhouse produce but that might be just as bad for the environment as imported. I was working on a show the whole time - roughly 14 hours a day, 5 days a week, running 5km 2 or 3 times a week and in the kickboxing gym 3 times a week, + workouts at home every night (or morning). I hit my personal best # of push-ups at that time too (I'm a bodyweight excerciser) which was 117. I had my first of 2 full contact fights in early March too and was in great shape for it (altho I lost a decision).

Since I slacked off the raw a bit, I haven't gained, or lost anything, altho, I probably can't do quite that many push-ups right now. I'm getting back into the raw thing a bit more - from 75% to maybe 95%.

That's so cool. Thanks for sharing your experience. i'll try to increase my percentage of raw intake this winter and see how is it going. I have in my mind to exercise daily at a swimming pool as well. I think an easy going transition to a raw lifestyle is the best for me.

be well

I'm not so sure about that beyondveg site or Tom Billings. Found this after a little searching:

The point is, everyone's got an opinion, there's an 'expert' out there espousing the virtues of every point of view on nutrition. For instance:

Hey that's my link....give it back!!!!

Hey Trev, how goes it stranger!?

LOL all I had to read was this and I didn't need to go any further:

Cholesterol in eggs does not cause heart disease.

Saturated fat in red meat does not cause heart disease.

Actually, they cure it.

Yeah, so let's give the 60 yr old man that's dying of heart disease more red meat and eggs. That ought to cure him right up... What a f@*$ing joke...

Really well, thanks for askin' Big! Busy like you wouldn't believe tho - that's why I haven't been 'round the forum much lately - working on a TV show almost full time, shooting stills on my weekends, working out tons - kickboxing, yoga. I gotta kick back one of these days! Just had the Taste of Health Veggie conference here in Van - was awesome. I learned a lot and realized I have to spend some time chilling!

Really well, thanks for askin' Big! Busy like you wouldn't believe tho - that's why I haven't been 'round the forum much lately - working on a TV show almost full time, shooting stills on my weekends, working out tons - kickboxing, yoga. I gotta kick back one of these days! Just had the Taste of Health Veggie conference here in Van - was awesome. I learned a lot and realized I have to spend some time chilling!

You know what I'm going through the same thing myself, I'm busy trying to make my lifes passion bear fruit, I've also realised I gotta focus on myself and make sure I'm happy with my life and my actions, sometimes I get caught up in all the raw drama and that doesn't make me happy, but I'm having a blast with my training and my boot camps, so I'm not gonna be around here so much either coz I'll be focusing on those, well man, I'm glad your busy and taking care of biznezz, keep on keeping on and say hi to Suz for me!

be good!

F1