How much water?

I take a liter bottle of water with me to the gym when I treadmill.

I take a swallow of water about every 5 minutes.

After an hour, my shirt is wet down to my stomach.

I finish what's left of the liter in the last 5 minutes during the "cool down"

When I do 2 hours, I stretch the water out.

But I've notice that I sweat a lot less during the 2nd hour.

Am I getting dehydrated?

I take a liter bottle of water with me to the gym when I treadmill.

I take a swallow of water about every 5 minutes.

After an hour, my shirt is wet down to my stomach.

I finish what's left of the liter in the last 5 minutes during the "cool down"

When I do 2 hours, I stretch the water out.

But I've notice that I sweat a lot less during the 2nd hour.

Am I getting dehydrated?

Your body may be getting used to the workout. That said, from my own long distance cycling experience, I find that one liter per hour of workout is pretty decent. This article may also help.

I do manual labor outside, so I drink about 2 gallons a day. What I find is really important though is the water you drink before you workout. I can drink water all day at work, but if I don't drink a lot of water before and after as well, I get horrible cramps in my legs. So a liter while working out sounds good to me, but make sure you drink plenty of water all day to stay hydrated.

I've read numerous sources that say you should urinate at least 10 to 12 times a day and that the urine should be clear almost like water. Therefore, you should eat enough high water foods or drink good water (I prefer distilled or pure spring) to make sure you're not dehydrated. I've had kidney stones in the past-the most painful thing ever-worse than labour-so I'm very sensitive to dehydration. Too much water can be dangerous too. Hope that helps.

"Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia."

i found this here: http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

Anything in excess is bad. I guess so is this.

I've recently started thinking a lot in terms of 'NATURAL' eating / drinking methods.

As ancient humans in nature we would not COOK as much. We would eat high raw. But, there was a reason why we learnt to COOK somethings - because those were not consumable without cooking. e.g. Kidney beans, Soy etc.

With the same mindset - I am thinking back in the day humans did not have the time, energy & logistics to have SO MUCH water all day. Did we? I would highly doubt it.

Also, the amount of HYDRATION our body would get would not be from PURE WATER. It would consist of:

- Ground / Spring Water with Minerals from the soil

- Fruits (Lots of interesting minerals)

- Veggies

For some odd reason NATURE does not provide us or any other animals with PURE DISTILL water. It always has a way of providing water with minerals.

I think this is by design. Because our bodys would not respond well / Would respond better with the minerals, salts etc.

I think the same fundamental is discovered by Pro athletes & researchers when using a GATORADE type drink v/s just water.

PS: Conclusion: Have a lot of Watermelon.. LOL!...

I've been having a HIGH FRUIT diet off late and I have to go to pee OFTEN and its ALMOST always clear even if I dont have a lot of water to drink.

So I think the whole, having CRAZY AMOUNT of water theory might have some holes.

PPS: JUST A THOUGHT!!! .