bcaa supplements

anyone take a branched chain amino acid supplement before/during/after a workout? my friend let me try amino vital since there are no animal products in it. i felt it helps ALOT during and especially after a workout. the problem is it contains aspartame - boooo! i am now looking for a bcaa supplement that is vegan AND does not contain anything bad like aspartame. any suggestions???

and sorry if this topic has been covered. i'm new here, and looked and i couldn't find it.

i went on veganessentials and checked it out. looks great. not to undercut them, but i found the exact supplement at the vitamin shoppe for less than half the price ($16.79). it has twice the mg of bcaa than amino vital for less than half the price. can't wait to try this one!

Thanks for looking over the site. Coincidently I was looking for BCAA supplements today as well. Veganessentials.com (linked from this site) has a powdered version.

I take that one (ON's BCAA 5000) immediately right after a really heavy workout during the summer months when I am taking off the the fat and can't bulk up with food. It takes a couple of minutes to work (like 15 minutes for me) in order for me to not feel the need to eat. Then I eat 30 minutes later.

The downside of it, is that it is not very instant in dissolving readily. And I take everything just with water, so it has a bitter taste to it (which is nothing compared to taking hemp protein powder with water ).

• 5 weeks later...

Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Amino Acids supplement is an effective and useful blend of essential amino acids for the human body. Bodybuilders can especially benefit from supplementing amino acids because they aid in repair, growth, and development of muscle tissue. The body, through assimilation of amino acids, produces over 50,000 proteins and over 15,000 enzymes. Amino acids are not only responsible for the production of all the body's enzymes (including digestive enzymes), but they also play a key role in normalizing moods, concentration, aggression, attention, and sleep. After protein is consumed, it is broken down into amino acids. Then, individual amino acids are used to create necessary body proteins and enzymes. Digestive enzymes break down the proteins a person consumes into amino acids. Scientists, experts, and medical professionals agree that getting enough amino acids in one's diet is an important factor in maintaining good nutrition.

One and one-half grams of powder three times a day should be sufficient to provide the body with an adequate supply of available amino acids to assist in digesting food and bulking up. There are no side effects with proper supplementation.

There aren't side effects to proper supplementation but there are problems if you need supplementation...like the fact that your diet requires supplementation. With the exception of B12 there is not a single thing we need to be eating out of a bottle if you eat right. Unless you want to grow excessive muscle mass you shouldn't need anything.

I mentioned that I was more sore than usual earlier this week and a trainer at the gym tried to sell me one of these branched chain amino acids. I asked her what exactly was in it that would make me recover better and what studies she could point to that proved this (studies NOT funded by the supplement companies, mind you and not comparing the product to subjects eating a poor diet and taking a placebo - good luck on finding that study). Needless to say, I did not buy the product and felt better after an additional hour of sleep and lots of water.

Hello,

I am also new here & beginner, I have not used bcaa supplement yet,

Anyway I have ordered a few supplements from bayho.com, as it provides vitamins, herbal, and dietary supplements that are all clinically tested and standardized. Earlier i have taken their products after Workout I have got much help.

Thanks!!

cameronjane

• 3 months later...
Anyone found good vegan bcaa supps?

NOW Foods Branched Chain Amino Acid Powder - 12 oz.

I didn't find the powdered form, but I just recently started taking the pill form of this from the same manufacturer. I take it with a small fruit smoothie about an hour before my workout, based on some unproven articles I've read lately 'documenting' the importance of pre-workout nutrition.

The reason I do this is that the article that peaked my interest in this was based on athletes who were fed pharmaceutical grade pure aminos w/ simple carbs an hour before workout (the article claims that some subjects showed 200% muscle growth compared to those who went without the pre-workout snack).

I'd just add protein powder to a fruit smoothie rather than using the supplement, but food combination logic states that this protein/fruit combo would be difficult for the stomach to digest, and I'm somewhat naively assuming that the supplement will interfere less than a normal protein powder would...

I usually avoid experimenting on myself based on nothing more than wild claims, but for some reason I've opted to give this idea a try...

After lots of research, I've changed my opinion on BCAAs. I am now using them regularly and am seeing an increase in strength and recovery. There is research to back this up. If you are looking to add mass as a bodybuilder then this is one supplement worth looking into, IMO.

After lots of research, I've changed my opinion on BCAAs. I am now using them regularly and am seeing an increase in strength and recovery. There is research to back this up. If you are looking to add mass as a bodybuilder then this is one supplement worth looking into, IMO.

Agreed. I use them and love them.

• 10 months later...

I recently read this about BCAA

solutions of amino acids are no option because they are very reactive and unstable in solution and in addition are forbidden in the EU.... Amino acids did not obtain GRAS classification (Generally Recognised As Safe) in the US and are not allowed for use in food production in Europe. They are unstable in drinks and react with sugar (so-called Maillard reaction). And finally, they raise the osmolality of the drinks, which leads to poorer sugar, water and mineral absorption.

source: True Protein's pepto pro thread

does any body know what they mean by "reactive and unstable"? Does this mean that BCAA's aren't such a good idea? I posted these questions here also: True Protein's BCAA thread

• 3 weeks later...
I take that one (ON's BCAA 5000) immediately right after a really heavy workout during the summer months when I am taking off the the fat and can't bulk up with food. It takes a couple of minutes to work (like 15 minutes for me) in order for me to not feel the need to eat. Then I eat 30 minutes later.

The downside of it, is that it is not very instant in dissolving readily. And I take everything just with water, so it has a bitter taste to it (which is nothing compared to taking hemp protein powder with water ).

I think hemp tastes great. This just me? Mmmmmm.

I wasn't talking about hemp, but about BCAAs by ON (Optimum Nutrition). It is very bitter in its taste (definitely alkaline).

Now hemp, tastes OK, but the texture of it is too much for me. I was doing 3 shakes of hemp during my cutting phase and so I took it straight with water. Actually it got to a point that I just drunk it with a straw to get it down. Then I noticed that most of it was coming back out ( if you know what I mean). Took some digestive enzymes and that made it less coming out, but that was cutting experiment of 2008. Now I am on to winter bulking 2009 experiments, and not to get over 180lbs this time! (Am at 167lbs this morning after breakfast and yoga. Am trying to match the gain in lifting weights with my gain in bodyweight, but I think I need to try something else).

I wasn't talking about hemp, but about BCAAs by ON (Optimum Nutrition). It is very bitter in its taste (definitely alkaline).

Now hemp, tastes OK, but the texture of it is too much for me. I was doing 3 shakes of hemp during my cutting phase and so I took it straight with water. Actually it got to a point that I just drunk it with a straw to get it down. Then I noticed that most of it was coming back out ( if you know what I mean). Took some digestive enzymes and that made it less coming out, but that was cutting experiment of 2008. Now I am on to winter bulking 2009 experiments, and not to get over 180lbs this time! (Am at 167lbs this morning after breakfast and yoga. Am trying to match the gain in lifting weights with my gain in bodyweight, but I think I need to try something else).

How cut should you be before you start a bulk? I'm just curious. I've heard 10% BF, 6-7%, and "6-pack" as three apparently different recommendations...

I

does any body know what they mean by "reactive and unstable"? Does this mean that BCAA's aren't such a good idea? I posted these questions here also: True Protein's BCAA thread

What that means is that they are unstable in a wet/solution form - as in a protein drink. They are sold in a dry form and are consumed soon after mixing with water so this should not be a problem. For instance, some medications are only stable in solution for 24 hours so directions on the label state that the medication should be used within 24 hours of being reconstituted. I hope that explains it.

I hope that explains it.

Yes! thank you DV. I thought it might be something like that, but I can be a bit of a hypochondriac.

...Has your bicep in your profile pic always been so huge, or it it a more recent picture? either way, bad ass!