greetings!

rebecca

hi everybody! this is an amazing forum and i am so excited to get to know as many of you as i can.

my name is rebecca and i have been vegan for almost 8 years. 2 years ago i bought a raw food book and tried a few recipes - even shared some at a family gathering. i was interested in it, but wasn't ready to embrace it. this past january i had a revelation, a defining moment, when i knew that i had to go raw. for the next few months i ate about 90% raw, as i was learning and letting go of my addictions. by may i knew that i was ready to jump in all the way. i am researching and reflecting and refining each day and am so excited to be on this path. i feel amazing already and have only been a part of this new world for mere months!

with all of this newfound energy i have been biking a lot more (about an hour a day, split between trails and pavement), gardening (at least an hour a day, sometimes up to 4 hours), and doing a lot of at-home workouts. once i return to portland in the fall i will get a gym membership and get this raw body nicely toned.

yep another portland vegan! here's a quick history: i am from northern michigan, have done lots of traveling through the states, moved to portland in may of last year and lived there for a year, then came to peterborough, ON for the summer. i'll be leaving here soon to spend some time in michigan with family and friends and will return to portland early october.

i joined this forum because i am in the planning stages of creating a raw food business in portland. i am so passionate about this lifestyle and want to share this vibrance with the world! i really am this excited. i love preparing and eating food that is alive and nutritious and so incredibly tasty! i want to create live meals to deliver to families and individuals in the portland area. i welcome any ideas that you might have and will gladly answer any questions. i will post some threads in the next few weeks, because there is a lot on my mind and i think this is a fantastic community to share with.

i can't add pictures just yet, but feel free to add me on myspace. www.myspace.com/rebeccakuhn.

Welcome Rebecca!

Great to have you here on our forum! We have a very strong Portland community here as you know.

I really look forward to meeting you when you return. Enjoy your time here and I'm sure you'll meet a bunch of us soon.

All the best and welcome aboard!

thanks again for all of the greetings!

DV, robert and jessi, what do you think about being my taste testers for some live meals when i get to portland? and anyone else who is passing through... i hope to have buffet-style meals several times a week, to get the word out before i officially start the business.

here's a very rough idea of what i'm hoping to start:

breakfast delivered to school children, with a lunch to take with them. breakfast: smoothies, cut fruit with almond butter, fresh juice, etc.

lunch: tomato cucumber salads, sprouted hummus with zucchini slices, guacamole with red pepper slices, variety of fruit, etc.

lunch delivered to office buildings: soup and salad, with the option of adding on a dessert and/or appetizer. this is something that the customers could sign up to receive every mon/wed, or tue/thur. i would deliver 2 meals each time, so they get 4 lunches a week.

the menu would vary, depending on local, organic produce i can either grow myself (!) or purchase from local farmers, or co-ops.

any ideas, suggestions, or comments? i'll take whatever you've got!

peace

thanks again for all of the greetings!

DV, robert and jessi, what do you think about being my taste testers for some live meals when i get to portland? and anyone else who is passing through... i hope to have buffet-style meals several times a week, to get the word out before i officially start the business.

here's a very rough idea of what i'm hoping to start:

breakfast delivered to school children, with a lunch to take with them. breakfast: smoothies, cut fruit with almond butter, fresh juice, etc.

lunch: tomato cucumber salads, sprouted hummus with zucchini slices, guacamole with red pepper slices, variety of fruit, etc.

lunch delivered to office buildings: soup and salad, with the option of adding on a dessert and/or appetizer. this is something that the customers could sign up to receive every mon/wed, or tue/thur. i would deliver 2 meals each time, so they get 4 lunches a week.

the menu would vary, depending on local, organic produce i can either grow myself (!) or purchase from local farmers, or co-ops.

any ideas, suggestions, or comments? i'll take whatever you've got!

peace

This sounds fabulous Rebecca! If you need any advice about growing stuff, ask away I'm a pro.

I especially like the meals for kids idea. It is so important.

Best of luck!

This sounds fabulous Rebecca! If you need any advice about growing stuff, ask away I'm a pro.

I especially like the meals for kids idea. It is so important.

Best of luck!

thank you so much veganitaliana! i'm sure i will have lots of questions about gardening. i learned quite a bit this summer - now i just need to dig into my own garden!

i really appreciate the encouragement.

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to mmeting you when you get back to PDX. I am the mama of 3 perhaps they would give you some pointers on your luch ideas. They are all vegan and deifnately know what ehy do and don't like. They have eaten lots of raw foods, some they love and some they don't.

This would be a great place for an all raw cafe, have you considered that?

oh, i love this forum!

lotus - i sent you a pm. your ideas are fantastic and i am so excited to meet you!

jessi - thank you so much! i can't wait to spend some time with you, and feed you lots of tasty raw foods!

xveganjoshx - sorry i missed your post yesterday. thank you for your happy encouragements - you'll have to come visit and help make the business thrive! especially if i open up a raw cafe, like lotus suggested... ahh! it's so exciting!

veganitaliana - i became a natural health educator a few years ago and one of my ideas was to implement a truly healthy school lunch program. i think it's so important to go straight to the kids with the good stuff. they seem to gravitate naturally toward the healthy, tasty foods. plus, kids are much easier to convince than adults.

veganpotter - you're in virginia, right? you'll have to bike over sometime and try the food!

Hi there Rebecca, seeing as you've spent some time in Peterborough would you know of any vegan friendly restaurants in or around the area? My friend is currently living there for the summer while taking school, I figured I might surprise him with a visit at some point.

Thanks for any help!

hey matt, i noticed you're in hamilton.

peterborough has some nice places to eat, but i was only looking for raw foods. there are probably a lot more options if you eat cooked food.

"rusty snail" has a great salad with mango, strawberries, red onion, avocado and greens. it has live music and a chill environment.

"the spill" has great water. i went there for the atmosphere (missing coffee shops) and the barista was vegan and very helpful. she suggested checking out "lunch" for some great salads, and a coffee shop off of charlotte, down by the railroad tracks. i can't remember the name, but i got a fruit plate there. the baristas were very accommodating and friendly.

"maggie's garden" has some vegan options if i remember correctly. again, i had a salad.

hunter st. and charlotte st. have the most restaurants and cafes. i liked "rusty snail" the best, but you might have to look around to find something cooked that you like. good luck!