veganmadre

Another Picture Guide - though I believe it's relatively self explanatory:

Vegan Pancakes

2 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

2 cups soy milk

2 tbsp oil

You could be dilligent and mix the dry ingredients and then add the milk and oil. I just throw it all in a bowl and mix it up!

Preheat a skillet over medium heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Scoop about a 1/2 cup of batter, swirling as you scoop to make a circle. Cook until air bubbles are visible on top of pancake - you should see the bubbles evenly before you flip - otherwise it will cook the other side unevenly.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7087/pancakes16ff.jpg

Flip pancakes and cook an additional minute. Remove. Continue until all batter has been used..

http://img273.imageshack.us/img273/5034/pancakes28gk.jpg

OK, so now top 'em. Syrup - maple, berry, chocolate...I like Strawberry Jam and powdered sugar. Another variation is to add fruit or chocolate chips to the batter. I have a recipe for an apple cinnamon topping so I made it last time and I'm adding the recipe.

Apple Topping ( I'd double it this to serve with the above pancake recipe)

1 Apple, peeled and chopped ( I didn't peel - would have been better peeled)

1/4 cup water

1 tbsp maple syrup

1/2 tsp cinnamon

In a small saucepan, stir all ingredients together.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7496/appletopping9ng.jpg

Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium high. Continue cooking until apples are tender - approx 5 minutes.

Top pancakes and serve.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2665/pancakeswithapples5bu.jpg

They are! And easy! But, really, I am too lazy to make them often...and when I do make them , I use l 3 skillets at the same time so that I'm not in the kitchen long...OK, secrets out - I'm crazy lazy.

Thanks for the compliment! And, welcome to the board (did i welcome you already? i'm lazy with that too! )

Vegan Momma,

You rule at the recipes! It is so awesome to see all your posts about these foods and even photos included!

Great work!

I used to make a lot of food but somehow I got lazy and mostly get foods that are already prepared for me.

You just might inspire me to get back on track and make more food myself!

-Robert

Thin Thin Flat Him

Hmmm... *lickshislips*

Looks yummy!

I like your recipe-threads, madre, the photos are very cool! Awesome!

Pancakes are not a difficult recipe, but most (unvegan) people might wonder if pancakes are even psooible without eggs (in some places in Germany they're actually called "Egg-cakes").

But what's the difference between baking soda and baking powder? I thought it was the same thing...

Vegan Greetings,

Daywalker

They look like good pancakes, much better than mine which are really more like 'Nam bread.

Daywalker, i looked up in the dictionary the terms which confused you:

baking soda:

A white crystalline compound, NaHCO3, with a slightly alkaline taste, used in making effervescent salts and beverages, artificial mineral water, pharmaceuticals, and fire extinguishers. Also called bicarbonate of soda, sodium bicarbonate.

baking power:

A mixture of baking soda, starch, and at least one slightly acidic compound such as cream of tartar that works as a leavening agent in baking by releasing carbon dioxide when mixed with a liquid, such as milk or water.

Baking soda is baking soda. Baking Powder can be MADE as follows:

HOMEMADE SUBSTITUTE FOR BAKING POWDER

2 tbsp. cream of tartar

1 tbsp. baking soda

1 tbsp. cornstarch

Sift together. Store in airtight container. One teaspoon of this is equal to 1 teaspoon store bought baking powder.

Thanks Richard! Now i know they're not the same

But i still don't know where's the difference

hey i wonder how this would be if i used choc silk soymilk???

yum!!!!

It would be great!

I sometimes mix vanilla soymilk in it, but chocolate works also.

To me, the best pancakes are wholewheat, whole buckwheat or corn pancakes *drivel* and i like maple syrup on 'em best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
I made some of these pancakes this morning!! They were ABSOLUTELY delicious!! Yummmmmy. Thanks a lot for the recipe.

Ya, vegan madre is the queen when it comes to vegan cullinary delights. be sure to check out here other recipes, posted last year so you may have to go back a few pages.

Oooh, I'll definately have to check out her other recipes! how exciting.