Hello

abc

I'm new to this site. Just started a Body for life challenge (12 week body building program).

Based on that, I was told that I need 170 grams of protein, 160 g carbs and 36 g fats on a daily basis.

I have been having a lot of trouble getting up to those numbers on vegetarian diet. Also, because my eating habits have been such that I ate very little for many years.

I would like some advise on how I can meet this challenge on Vegetarian diet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Abc

Hey abc, welcome!

You know what.........I did the Body-For-LIFE challenge in 2000 and that is what inspired me to get into bodybuilding. I gained 19 lbs in 12 weeks and would have gained more if I didn't have the school stress and low budget at the time.

I wrote about it here:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=article_bodytransformation

I can provide more tips and advice as well.

It worked out great for me on a vegan diet and got me interested in bodybuilding.

Thanks for finding our forum. Enjoy your time here and welcome aboard!

About me

----------

37 year old - male. Have been practicing Yoga and following Yogic lifestyle for over 20 years. Have taught Yoga to many people and have given classes in the local universities.

I have been a vegetarian for ever. During University days, when I started living away from home, I ate some meat for about a year of so but quickly got over it.

As per Yogic diet, considering the animals are treated with respect and love and not as commodities, milk has been very well praised for its nutritive value and is included in the Yogic diet - but I understand that that is not the case these days. Animals are treated badly.

I am also a Homeopath and run a developing clinic.

I am fairly fit and look much younger - having practiced Yogic lifestyle for so long. I have also been a marathon runner and a triathlete for some years. Now I am getting into building some muscles.

--------------------

Thank you so much for this detailled info!

There are many members (including me) who are practicing yoga. But I am quite sure you are the most advanced yogi! We did a great yoga session at the beach during VV2007! You will find the pics in the VV2007 section.

Two questions remain unanswered: Where are you from and how do you look like? Maybe you can add an avatar and some info in your profile.

All the best to you. I hope you reach your goals!

>Two questions remain unanswered: Where are you from and how do you look like? Maybe you can add an avatar and some info in your profile.

Born to Indian parents, I live in Canada currently. I'm about 5'11" tall and weigh about 70 Kg. I will add an avatar asap.

If my math is right, that diet is 1608 calories daily, with 43% being protein, 40% carbs, and 18% fat.

I think that's way too much protein and too little carbohydrate. I would consider 20% protein to be a high protein diet; 43% is just crazy protein!

With the same number of calories, but a 20/60/20 protein/carb/fat split instead, you'd need 80g protein, 240g carb, and 35g fat.

1600 calories seems low, though, unless you are trying to lose weight. And if it's a bodybuilding diet, it seems you should be trying to gain or at least maintain.

Oh, and welcome! I forgot I was posting in an intro thread...

I agree 160g is way too much. Even 80g should be more than adequate for a long while...at least until you actually get really big and are capable of breaking down more muscle while training. Its a much healthier way to go about things.