Recipes from Vegan Vacation Potlucks & Beachhouse meals

Jessifly

Especially for xveganjoshx, bvp663 and tofutod...

I made this cheese sauce for xveganjoshx at the beachhouse but I didn't have the recipe so I wasn't sure how well it would turn out. It must have been ok 'cause I ended up making 2 more batches to meet the demand. Then I made it again for the opening dinner potluck and tofutod took home about 3 pounds of it!

Vegan Queso/Mac & Cheese

Ingredients

2-3 Tbsp Earth Balance margarine

1/4 Cup Flour

1-2 Cup Nutritional Yeast Flakes

3 1/2 Cup Water (or Rice/Soy Milk)

1 1/2 Tsp Salt

1 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder

1 Pinch of Turmeric

1 Tsp Mustard powder

1 1/2 Tsp Paprika

2 Tbsp Soy sauce

Melt the margarine over low heat. Stir in flour. Continue to stir over medium heat until mixture is smooth and bubbly.

Continue stirring while slowly adding boiling water (or rice/soy milk). Then add salt, garlic powder, soy sauce, turmeric, mustard and paprika to the liquid.

The sauce should cook until it thickens and bubbles. When that happens, mix in nutritional yeast flakes (if the sauce is too thick, add more water). Add more seasoning/nutritional yeast to taste. At this point I put it in my vitamix and blended it on high for a few seconds to make it extra smooth.

Serve over cooked macaroni as mac & cheese or mix with a can of chili or tomatoes and serve with chips as queso.

I make the same thing and do so much with it...I usually use wet stoneground mustard but other that that i use the same ingredients.

It is super good on Pizza!

Also I love to make up some seasoned Tempeh or tofu and have that with the mac and yeast!

from Ani's Raw Food Kitchen, my favorite raw recipe book, in fact probably my favorite vegan recipe book of all. (Well, except Vegan with a Vengence for less healthy yum vegan food.. that one's also my fav!)

Anyway... this was a big hit... we girls actually didn't want to share it!

I originally wanted to share the recipe here, but I'm not sure if it is allowed for copyright reasons so I edited it out, but check out the book, it is full of amazing recipes!

Edited by Jessifly

I made the Tofu Dill Salad Sandwiches for one of the potlucks. I will try to give an accurate recipe but I don't usually measure anything. So alter this recipe to taste!

Tofu Dill Salad

1 pound of firm tofu, drained and crumbled

1-2 Tbl finely chopped red onion

2 Tbl chopped fresh dill (dried would be okay but not as good)

1/4 cup Vegenaise mayo

1 Tbl apple cider vinegar

1-2 tsp dijon or yellow mustard

Salt to taste

Mix the mayo, vinegar and mustard together before adding to the other ingredients. Assemble sandwiches with tofu salad and spinach leaves. If in Portland, use Dave's Killer Sprouted Bread and the fresh bulk tofu available at the Daily Grind, People's or Alberta Co-op.

Believe me, even if I followed the above recipe I would change the amounts. It all depends on the taste of the tofu, the mustard, the vinegar, etc.

Next time I will go by the exact recipe you posted, so it will taste more like the one you made.

We used mostly granny smith apples, and a couple golden delicious as well to add sweetness to the tartness. Also I think I put in extra cinnamon - I didn't measure it but it came out really fast! Otherwise it was true to the recipe.

• 4 months later...