tattoo sleeve - under construction (cover-up)

kihon_gent

As promised elsewhere on the forum.

I'm 35 now, nearly 36. My first 'tattoo' was from playing with ink and a needle as a kid. That left one small dot. Too small for a pic.

During my late teens/early twenties a star and an anarchy-sign were tattooed on my right arm (no pic available).

Later on I thought that was a bit amateuristic, they were hardly "real" tattoos, and when some friends of mine got tattoos I went for it as well - 'though I must say I was a bit intoxicated at the time and it was very impulsive. The star and the anarchy-sign were covered by a tribal and a (native american-style) feather, and I got a snake on my back.

I've got a pic of the snake, but it's way too ugly to post. The snake will be covered by another tattoo in the years to come.

Anyway - after, what, 15 years of not being happy with the tattoos last year I finally decided to take action.

First step: inquiring about laser removal. Turned out to be quite painful and above all ridiculously expensive.

Second step: finding a very good tattoo-artist to cover the tribal & feather. Success! We agreed to tattoo a koi over them and do a Japanese-style sleeve (currently still under construction).

First picture: you can still see the old tattoos, and the drawing/outline of the koi.

Second pic: adding the surroundings.

Third pic: needles, ink & blood!

First session finished:

Two weeks later: second session finished.

Six months later: third session finished (two more sessions coming up in december/january).

The ink & colours still have to 'settle' in these last 4 pictures...and as you can see I couldn't hide all my fat, so it's back to the gym for me asap!

Tattoo-artist: Len - http://www.haraitattoo.com/ - http://www.myspace.com/116694619

Edited by kihon_gent

Thanks everyone!

I'm very glad that I found such a talented/skilled guy in my own city.

Can't wait to see how it'll look when it's finished... Should be completed in January (the tattoo-artist has a 6-months waiting list, he's very busy, which is ok because I really need the time to save the money).

Not sure yet whether I'll stop at the elbow (short sleeve) or whether I'll make it a slightly larger (3/4) sleeve...

Plus good tattooist will touch you up for free for life so long as it looks like you've been taking reasonable care of it. Rule of thumb is to just tip them but they shouldn't charge you anything.

• 1 month later...
I'm waiting to do a full sleeve until I'm older.

Not because I care about people seeing it and going "OMG TATTOO, he must rape small children" but more because I don't want the sun to fade them out.

Sun screen / long sleeves

I hate long sleeves or believe me I'd have tattoos on my forearms by now.

• 2 months later...