Global Warming not cause by human activity?

Zack

yes, temperatures can and do rise (on a larger scale) from activity other than human interference. but what drives people to be so skeptical of the role humans play in this? do you really think our contribution to atmospheric pollution does no harm? get a f#ckin' brain.

It's a gamble. The 3000 scientists that believe that global warming is an effect of human activity might be wrong and the 5 scientists that works hard for Fox news (because it is important to get both views) might be right.

Here are the stakes:

If the 5 are right we keep on living in wonderland, the oil will last forever and we will sooner or later go into a cooler era. No problems.

If the 3000 are right we might kill off upto 50% of this planets species, we will deplete the earth so it will produce less and less food with more starvation for the poor, we will see massive floodings and other weather related catastrophies. Among other things.

Funny thing is, even though the stakes are what they are, we are still gambling. We can't stop because it feels so good. People love to hear news like this since it calms them just like people love to hear that chocolate is the best thing you can eat.

Thats the most compelling argument ever wannalift.

CO2 at hightest levels in last 600 thousand years. more atomospheric carbon means less heat can escape back into space. since we can measure the amount of CO2 we are producing, we can know that we are directly responsible for at least some of this current condition. just because the degree of which our actions cannot be determined is no reason to absolve us or ignore the real and potential threats those actions pose.

Thats the most compelling argument ever wannalift.

CO2 at hightest levels in last 600 thousand years. more atomospheric carbon means less heat can escape back into space. since we can measure the amount of CO2 we are producing, we can know that we are directly responsible for at least some of this current condition. just because the degree of which our actions cannot be determined is no reason to absolve us or ignore the real and potential threats those actions pose.

Thanks, now we have a f#*king brain.

I think what CollegeB were trying to say was that you could have been a little nicer when telling us that you think the article is BS.

i don't necessarily think the article is b.s. it makes some very interesting points that i wish people would both know and use in their correct context. obviously a large meteor hitting the earth would do thousands of times the damage a nuclear bomb would. but lets not minimize the effects a nuclear bomb would have.

I'm pretty sick of the whole "global warming" argument. Even if human pollution isn't the cause of climate change, does that mean that we don't need to clean it up anyway? What about all of the major cities in the U.S. who ask people to stay inside for many days during the summer, because the air isn't fit to breathe? What about the hundreds of thousands of kids with asthma? What about acid rain and dying forests, streams full of fish with male and female reproductive organs on the same fish?

The right wing is using the debate over climate change to distract us from the facts at hand, as an excuse to do absolutely nothing about energy waste and pollution. The planet is sick and needs to be cleaned up, it can't wait for politicians and scientists, all of whom work for major corporations to finish their debate.

Hell...chances are we're causing the warming of those other planets too...just so we can say we aren't causing the temperature increases here.

yes, temperatures can and do rise (on a larger scale) from activity other than human interference. but what drives people to be so skeptical of the role humans play in this? do you really think our contribution to atmospheric pollution does no harm? get a f#ckin' brain.

Actually, i'd say most people blindly accept human causes as the only truth. Too many people want to make it a political issue, it's a scientific issue. I agree the environment needs cleaning, that's not what this is talking about....

Anyways, sorry for investigating other aspects of the issue instead of just accepting what you think as fact. Must've left my brain at the door.

Actually, i'd say most people blindly accept human causes as the only truth. Too many people want to make it a political issue, it's a scientific issue. I agree the environment needs cleaning, that's not what this is talking about....

how can you say it's not a political issue when it is money and politics that are keeping the world from following the research of scientists and achieving a higher environmental and health standard?

Anyways, sorry for investigating other aspects of the issue instead of just accepting what you think as fact. Must've left my brain at the door.

you should feel sorry....for yourself. look no further than the title of the this thread and judge your own objectivity on the matter at hand. i work as environmental engineer specializing in air pollution and what i posted was not what i thought as fact, but what has been measured to be conclusive evidence, by scientists.

wannalift,

Since you are involved in this and studying this, please let me know if this is a good basic argument. This is what I say when people ask about Global Warming (keep in mind, I know nothing about it, this just "makes sense" to me.....please correct me if I'm way off or give me a better "basic" response)..........

---------

"Global Warming basically means the Planet is getting warmer, the temperature on a global scale is increasing. We've never lived in a world with this many people, animals, cars and buildings. All of these things in some way impact temperature, especially since these numbers are in the billions. It only makes sense that a byproduct of this increased production will cause the temperature to rise. That is just science and fact. The level of our production and activity cause heat, therefore increasing the temperature of our planet on a global scale."

-------

Maybe I'm way off. I just take an approach that is logical my mind.

Feedback?

wannalift,

Since you are involved in this and studying this, please let me know if this is a good basic argument. This is what I say when people ask about Global Warming (keep in mind, I know nothing about it, this just "makes sense" to me.....please correct me if I'm way off or give me a better "basic" response)..........

---------

"Global Warming basically means the Planet is getting warmer, the temperature on a global scale is increasing. We've never lived in a world with this many people, animals, cars and buildings. All of these things in some way impact temperature, especially since these numbers are in the billions. It only makes sense that a byproduct of this increased production will cause the temperature to rise. That is just science and fact. The level of our production and activity cause heat, therefore increasing the temperature of our planet on a global scale."

-------

Maybe I'm way off. I just take an approach that is logical my mind.

Feedback?

nothing even comes close to heating the earth the way the sun does. the problem is that some of our actions cause the heat (that should be radiating back into space) to get trapped within the confines of our atmosphere. the degree to which this causes global warming is uncertain, but the fact that its does significantly contribute to global warming is just a fact that some people need to get over real fast. there are many other consquences of air pollution, but this is one that affects the earth universally. others though (noted in Michael's post) pose a more serious and immediate danger to our health and the sustainability of the earth.

the problem is that some of our actions cause the heat (that should be radiating back into space) to get trapped within the confines of our atmosphere.

I'd like you to elaborate on that, I'm really interested in this stuff. you are much more educated on the subject than I am. There's just not a lot of people i've talked to that realize it's more than human action that affects global warming.

Also, do you know anything about why scientists predicted global cooling in the 1970's? I've heard mixed arguments about it..

Edited by Zack

Yeah, as Mikey said, regardless of global warming, we should attempt to minimize or reverse damage to the environment. I don't understand it when people say "global warming isn't happening" or "global warming happens regardless of what humans do" - as if that's a reason to not care about anything else. All the things that are done to preventing global warming are good in themselves, even if global warming is inevitable / not true.

Yeah, as Mikey said, regardless of global warming, we should attempt to minimize or reverse damage to the environment. I don't understand it when people say "global warming isn't happening" or "global warming happens regardless of what humans do" - as if that's a reason to not care about anything else. All the things that are done to preventing global warming are good in themselves, even if global warming is inevitable / not true.

I agree. The only thing I was trying to get at is that there's factors other than us that affect it.

the problem is that some of our actions cause the heat (that should be radiating back into space) to get trapped within the confines of our atmosphere.

I'd like you to elaborate on that, I'm really interested in this stuff. you are much more educated on the subject than I am. There's just not a lot of people i've talked to that realize it's more than human action that affects global warming.

Also, do you know anything about why scientists predicted global cooling in the 1970's? I've heard mixed arguments about it..

yeah, i'm sorry i came off so harsh. if you saw what i had to deal with day in and day out maybe you'd be more forgiving of my attitude, but still that's no excuse. also i strongly question the expertise and motives of people who think our contribution to global warming does not exist.

i would say this link http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science/global-warming-faq.html would be a very good resouce to get a general background on the situation at hand. i don't deal directly with global warming. i deal in industrial pollution control and know enough about climatology and the general makeup of the atmosphere to venture an opinion on the matter.

i think what really bugs me though, and not just unique to this subject, but the overwhelming need people have to minimize their personal/collective responsibilities and maximize those factors that are not in their control. people want all the freedoms and at the same time be absolved of all the consequences. its a very poor attitude that only seems to be growing exponentially in popularity.

I agree. The only thing I was trying to get at is that there's factors other than us that affect it.

Yeah, I didn't think that's what you were saying

yeah, i'm sorry i came off so harsh. if you saw what i had to deal with day in and day out maybe you'd be more forgiving of my attitude, but still that's no excuse. also i strongly question the expertise and motives of people who think our contribution to global warming does not exist.

i would say this link http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science/global-warming-faq.html would be a very good resouce to get a general background on the situation at hand. i don't deal directly with global warming. i deal in industrial pollution control and know enough about climatology and the general makeup of the atmosphere to venture an opinion on the matter.

i think what really bugs me though, and not just unique to this subject, but the overwhelming need people have to minimize their personal/collective responsibilities and maximize those factors that are not in their control. people want all the freedoms and at the same time be absolved of all the consequences. its a very poor attitude that only seems to be growing exponentially in popularity.

It's cool, Thanks for the info, I'll research it.

the thing that bothers me is the crazy ideas some people get which they believe could solve global warming, like pumping a bunch of stuff into the atmosphere to block the sun.. I think ideas like that are equally dangerous.

We could always just make gigantic freon tanks and make one gigantic nuclear powered air conditioner for the whole planet....then if the CFCs make the ozone layers holes even larger...you just need to turn the air conditioner up.