eating to LOSE FAT and maintain LEAN BODY MASS

milochka

not to be rude, but could you please answer the original question before getting sidetracked? thanks!

To TRY and answer your question in as basic way as I can,

multiply your goal weight by 12 (so, if your goal weight is 130lbs., you would calculate: 130 x 12 = 1560 kcal you should be taking in daily...sorry, have to convert kg to lb for this calculation!) , and that should give you a daily calorie count to strive for. If you are still not losing, multiply your goal weight by 10...although that is in more extreme cases.

Also, increase fruits and veggies and decrease grains a bit. That should help you out.

Also...off the calorie subject, one thing that I have incorporated into my life recently is juice "fasting". I did a 5 day "fast" and now "fast" once a week. That really got me over a hump when I stopped losing weight I had put on. You may want to research that a bit. I posted before I started and received some great advice, so it's on the forum.

Also Potter - Should I try to get one of these Tape Measure + BF Caliper packages? Any recommendations?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/SFA6P5ZOL0XU/ref=wl_web

Please let me know when you have had a chance to look at some of these

No those things are way off. I've got a friend thats a competive strongman competitor and he skin folded 4%...theres no way he's under 15%...its just way off. As for the tape measure thing...it works a bit better but its still off.

not to be rude, but could you please answer the original question before getting sidetracked? thanks!

To TRY and answer your question in as basic way as I can,

multiply your goal weight by 12 (so, if your goal weight is 130lbs., you would calculate: 130 x 12 = 1560 kcal you should be taking in daily...sorry, have to convert kg to lb for this calculation!) , and that should give you a daily calorie count to strive for. If you are still not losing, multiply your goal weight by 10...although that is in more extreme cases.

Also, increase fruits and veggies and decrease grains a bit. That should help you out.

Also...off the calorie subject, one thing that I have incorporated into my life recently is juice "fasting". I did a 5 day "fast" and now "fast" once a week. That really got me over a hump when I stopped losing weight I had put on. You may want to research that a bit. I posted before I started and received some great advice, so it's on the forum.

thanks a bunch, kailla! the only question that i have is that i heard that one should keep the body "guessing" all the time in terms of calorie intake, so if i were to *theoretically* eat 1200 kcal everyday *oh, and no way its going to happen if i were to work out on that very same day *, wouldnt my body simply lower its BMR?

also, another question, this one goes out to everyone: i seem to be getting conflicting advice, some people say eat more fruits/ others - more whole grains, as the main carb source ... so, where is the truth ?

i've also been reading up on the phenomen known as "carb cycling". do you think it would help in my case? <3

Grains are just fine but fruits are better. To get say 100grams of carbs with grains you get very little with it other than some fiber and a bit of protein but with fruit 100g of carbs carries lots of vitamins and minerals with it. So therefore the calories are much more useful.

I think i missed typing it.

It cost me $30 in the BodPod.

Given that the 2 biggest universities here are

- Rice University

- University of Houston

The next further away in Austin

- University of Texas, Austin

What key words would you recommend when I go searching on their websites / google?

Also Potter - Should I try to get one of these Tape Measure + BF Caliper packages? Any recommendations?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/SFA6P5ZOL0XU/ref=wl_web

Please let me know when you have had a chance to look at some of these

No those things are way off. I've got a friend thats a competive strongman competitor and he skin folded 4%...theres no way he's under 15%...its just way off. As for the tape measure thing...it works a bit better but its still off.

Hmm.. I guess the measuring tape would help me measure any gain / loss in size of body parts.

Looks like you are AGAINST the caliper method that pretty much MOST fitness people at any / every gym use. Any other thoughts here?

Would it help to measure CHANGE in bodyfat even if the original one was off say by X.. so the new measurements would be proportional?

Crashnburn, you took the words (well, some of them) right out of my mouth. The accuracy of body fat measurement is not as important as a CONSISTENT way of measuring when you are trying to lose body fat - not body weight, which could be water and/or muscle and/or fat. Those Tanita-type scales are not good, IMO, and the water tank method is not practical.

I have my body fat (calipers) and measurements (same person with tape measure) and weight (same scale) measured every 2 to 3 weeks. This allows me to track my progress by trends which may not be precise but are certainly consistent.

I know most people think the tanita scales are useless and I know they are not accurate. But they can help you get an idea that you are making progress by checking your weight/fat% once a week and the same time/scenario each time.

I would get on once a week - which would be Saturday. I would weigh myself after waking up and going to the washroom - This worked for me and gave me an idea of how I was doing.

I have heard of other people drinking 2 cups of water (making sure they are hydrated) - along with keeping the same scenario ie. same time so on... The water your body does or does not hold throws the fat% reading off.

Me keeping track of everything in / out for calories and food I believe also helped...

Remember nothing beats taking photos every 2 weeks - The motivation of pictures is amazing!!!

I'm not against the caliper method I just don't think it works. If you have pretty elastic skin you can even increase in BF reading when losing fat if you aren't gaining lots of muscle...its very odd. However it "can" show results. I know people at gyms swear by them but at the same time those are the same guys that swear by red meat and whey so I wouldn't trust them...hell most of them support the low carb diet to lose fat which is just moronic...it works and makes them look good but they aren't making clients healthy.

I'm not against the caliper method I just don't think it works. If you have pretty elastic skin you can even increase in BF reading when losing fat if you aren't gaining lots of muscle...its very odd. However it "can" show results. I know people at gyms swear by them but at the same time those are the same guys that swear by red meat and whey so I wouldn't trust them...hell most of them support the low carb diet to lose fat which is just moronic...it works and makes them look good but they aren't making clients healthy.

dear veganpotter:

i just did some reading on carb cycling and it makes perfect sense to me. the only problem that i have with it is having to eat about 120 g of protein (i weigh about 52 kilos these days). could you provide a perhaps more structured critique of why a low carb diet would not be advised and what one would do instead while "cutting"? cheers!

Low carbs in general are bad for you plain and simple. Protein is not something you should be using for energy and a low carb diet forces you to do that. Also you don't need that much protein. The only people that need 2g per kilogram are people that are eating tons of food to begin with and the protein should correspond with increases in carbs for energy. I'm not saying this diet doesn't work...it does but its just not good for you.

To cut weight simply eat better carbs...meaning eat a bit less grains/rice bread etc. Eat the good carbs(fruits mostly with some grains) when you know you need to keep peppy...this normally means in the morning and before working out. After you work out don't eat for an hour or two. This is when your body wants fuel for rejuvenating itself. Your body will eat itself since it has nothing else to do. After that eat a normal balanced meal with some fat, carbs and protein. You'll feel a bit week at first when you do this but you'll adjust pretty quick. Its not the healthiest way to do this(as the healthiest way to lose fat is very slowly and most people don't wanna do that) but it beat going through ketosis.

thanks a bunch, kailla! the only question that i have is that i heard that one should keep the body "guessing" all the time in terms of calorie intake, so if i were to *theoretically* eat 1200 kcal everyday *oh, and no way its going to happen if i were to work out on that very same day *, wouldnt my body simply lower its BMR?

also, another question, this one goes out to everyone: i seem to be getting conflicting advice, some people say eat more fruits/ others - more whole grains, as the main carb source ... so, where is the truth ?

i've also been reading up on the phenomen known as "carb cycling". do you think it would help in my case? <3

as you lose weight, you will always lower your BMR because that is what it's based on. A 200 pound person burns more than a 120 pound person because he/she is carrying around 80 more pounds...which takes more energy (kcal).

Fruits are better than grains, I think...more fiber (awesome for weight loss) and nutrients.

Carb cycling is okay to do. It does keep your body guessing. There are various ways to do it...3 days up, 3 days down.

I prefere calorie cycling...where you eat more on a day and then less on another. As long as you are balancing out to your calorie needs for that week. So, if you are consuming 1500 kcal, you could do 1300 one day and 1800 the next day, then 1600, etc..

Also, 1200 kcal is pretty low if you are that active. Give it a try though, and see how it goes. If you need more fuel for your work out day, eat!, this is where calorie cycling is a great practice.

I'm trying out the "Johnsn Up-Day Down-Day Diet" (which has the unfortunate acronym JUDDDD) ... it's extreme zig-zag. But seems to have some interesting health benefits, if one believes the studies.

I'm doing 600 - 2200 (alternating days)... and it's helped me off a plateau. I'm just 4# from my bodyfat and weight goals now, so it had better keep working for a few more pounds

Here's the site: http://www.johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.com/