Never ran a marathon before... Help!

dontxhide

I am considering running a half marathon (13 miles I think) next Saturday. Thing is, I have never trained to run long distance before. I have bene doing brutal fuctional training that pushes the limits of my endurance, but not running endurance.

I really want to see how far I can go before I pass out or die from exhaustion, is this a good idea? Just to test my limits? Or should I just not do this one and start training for a bit more of the long distance for the next month or two til the next one shows up?

If you are in relatively good shape you can handle a half marathon if you take it easy. Its gonna hurt not being prepared for it and your probably much more fit than your time would tell you but thats the way it is if you aren't trained. If I were you I'd go out and try a few easy 5 mile runs to see how you feel...running impact is very different than lifting and anything else. Relative to my cycling I'm fit enough to run a sub 3hr marathon but I know for a fact my muscles can't take me much faster than a 4hr(probably a bit slower even). Running is just so different than anything else....this is why Lance Armstrong did so bad when he tried running a marathon. Just take it easy and try to finish rather than going for a specific time.

If you are in relatively good shape you can handle a half marathon if you take it easy. Its gonna hurt not being prepared for it and your probably much more fit than your time would tell you but thats the way it is if you aren't trained. If I were you I'd go out and try a few easy 5 mile runs to see how you feel...running impact is very different than lifting and anything else. Relative to my cycling I'm fit enough to run a sub 3hr marathon but I know for a fact my muscles can't take me much faster than a 4hr(probably a bit slower even). Running is just so different than anything else....this is why Lance Armstrong did so bad when he tried running a marathon. Just take it easy and try to finish rather than going for a specific time.

I agree with Potter. Also your training is 90% mental ability. It's all how your mind thinks. I know of one guy who never trained in swimming, cycling or running. He did the Penticton Ironman for the first time. He finished it without killing himself , he said this when he finished that he would never do something like that without training.

So it's really how you feel. I think you have a good head on your shoulders so just race it what have you got to lose?

You'll get addicted really easy on improving your time

Have fun ! Good luck !

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with everyone here too. Running is a lot different than doing other things, like weight training. I'm in pretty decent shape, at least I'd like to think I am! Anyway I love to weight train, take Step,and other Cardio group fitness classes, and just recently decided I needed to start running. I have to push myself every time to go faster,or longer, and it is harder than lifting weights. But I think at least for me it has to do with building up my endurance levels.

I realize it's after the fact, but I wanted to speak from experience.

I think it's a bad idea to run that distance having not done any running-specific training. I've run four marathons (twice the distance) and a number of half-marathons, and I've attempted another marathon and half-marathon on cycling training (with some slow running distance of no more that 10 miles) and the latter were disasters. I was in a mountain of pain which kept me from doing anything for two to three weeks. And this was when I thought I was in "shape", 155 pounds, and a resting heart rate of 40bpm.

If you haven't run even 5 miles for a while, it likely will hurt, even at an easy pace. You also risk injury that can affect your everyday life as well for weeks or months.

I'd suggest picking a half-marathon three or more months out, then do a gradual training plan of increased mileage to adapt your body. A good site with training plans for novice runners is:

http://www.halhigdon.com/#half

I'd suggest at least 6 months for the marathon, but probably more if you haven't been running at all.

Just my $0.02. I'd also be interested in hearing how it went if you actually did it and how you felt during and afterward. Those are always adventures.

-Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with Matt... and I too would love to know how it went.

I'm doing my first half marathon in a week, and I've been training for it since May... and up to 45-50km a week the past month or so. I can't even imagine doing a whole marathon, even with the training I've done, let alone if I hadn't trained at all.