Kurt's First BodyBuilding Show

I'm first going to say that I'm sorry to the forum that I have not been on much. I've been preparing for my first BB show for the last 12 weeks and before that I was in the mist of semester at college. Along with dieting and training for this contest, I've been working three different jobs this summer, so my free time to sit and read the board has been limited but I thought people might be interested in hearing what I did. I posted an intro about myself last June 2006 if you want more info about me, although a lot has changed about me since I wrote that post over 1 year ago. I've now been vegan for just over 1 year and three months and been vegetarian for longer.

Anyway, I did an OCB show in NJ yesterday. I competed in the novice short and the open short class. I'm about 5'6"-5'7" and I weighed about 125lbs on stage. This was my biggest downfall!! I was ripped to shreds, my conditioning my great, I was holding very little water, but I was outweighed by 20, 30, 40, 50 pounds. I'm going to post some links for some pics from the photos that were taken from the show and hopefully they open, if not, I'll post some myself. (I've never posted pics before so I may need some help)

The end result was that I placed 5th out of 7 in the novice short and placed 8th out of 9 in the short open. I know If I had about 20 pounds on my frame with my conditioning that I brought to the stage I would have done much better.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the way I looked. I feel that on stage I looked about 90-95% as good as I could have. I could have been a bit drier and been a bit more carbed up (fuller) but I really don't feel that would have helped my placing much at all.

I'm planning on now taking some real time (couple years) to really pack on some size and try and step on stage about 15-20 pounds heavier with the same conditioning that I had. Thanks for reading this post and I'd love to see and hear about more people stepping on stage on this forum. I know Rob is always competeing and I see a "new" face in Dr. Joe, who is doing great for himself. Looking forward to seeing Daywalker step on stage again as well with some new found mass.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/amprok/11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/amprok/7-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/amprok/6-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/amprok/4-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/amprok/3-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/amprok/1-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/amprok/DSC_0046.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/amprok/DSC_0049.jpg

Edited by kurtjs

Shredded Wheat! You're in awesome shape man, great conditioning! Awesome that you got up on stage. I've known for many months you'd be competing and I've been looking forward to the results and photos. Thanks for posting them.

Well done! I look forward to chatting more about bodybuilding. I'm getting back into it again. I competed this summer and I'm taking time off from stage but I'm still lifting.

More and more of us are getting on stage and it is really exciting. I'd love to feature you on the front page of www.veganbodybuilding.com I'll get in touch soon.

You are much smaller but you looked much better than the rest in terms of showing what you have. You looked very ripped....especially in the mid section.

Great job on your first show! You did a super job on your diet as I can see you conditioning was very good.

The OCB is a good organization. They require all athletes to be drug free for a minimum of 5 years (polygraph tested). I actually promote an OCB show every July in Newburyport, MA.

I think taking some time off to add some size is a good idea. Train hard and eat clean and you'll keep making progress. Best of luck. Peace.

Joe

Rob - Sorry I fell out of touch. The contest prep took over my life the past months and I had no time to update you on what I was doing. But getting on stage was great. One of the coolest experiences of my life. Very rewarding feeling when I look at these pics. Please feel free to get in touch

Potter - Thanks for the compliments. My midsection is by far one of my best features.

Dr. Joe - Thanks as well. I felt my conditioning was spot on. I don't think I could have been any leaner without losing any more muscle. I would love to get in touch with you. We are very close neighbors here in the East.

Octopussoir - I've seen your pics. There is no doubt in my mind that you shouldn't get up on stage. I'm suprised you never have. JUST DO IT!! NO REGRETS!!

Damn dude. Zero body fat on you. You're just straight muscle. I see what you mean about needing to add a few pounds to your frame. Looks like the others had the advantage on that. Congrats on competing. You look like you're in great shape. Vegans represent!

Well done Kurtjs!

Good conditioning, esp. for a first show. The guys next to you are bigger, but i'd rate them down for not being in competition shape. They look like me off season

Looks like you got the posing nailed, too, although i'd say crunch in more in the ab poses - but that's hard to judge by two pics only.

What is OCB? Is that a natural fed?

You won't see me stepping on stage very soon, right now i'm enjoying weight and strength gains too much to destroy that with a pre-comp diet I'll compete in a novice strongman comp in two weeks tho

Well done Kurtjs!

Good conditioning, esp. for a first show. The guys next to you are bigger, but i'd rate them down for not being in competition shape. They look like me off season

Looks like you got the posing nailed, too, although i'd say crunch in more in the ab poses - but that's hard to judge by two pics only.

You won't see me stepping on stage very soon, right now i'm enjoying weight and strength gains too much to destroy that with a pre-comp diet I'll compete in a novice strongman comp in two weeks tho

OCB is Natural. Good luck in your comp!

Well done Kurtjs!

He did great (I know I was there, just didn't know "who" he was). OCB is Natural. Good luck in your comp!

• 3 months later...

After randomly PMing Kurt to chat he showed me this thread. I can't believe I missed it before!

Congrats on the comp . You came in amazing shape. Completely ripped and cut. I would agree with daywalker, some of the guys look like they need to lose a few pounds to really be in comp shape.

Add about 15-20 pounds with the same conditioning and you'll place really well. Congrats!

After randomly PMing Kurt to chat he showed me this thread. I can't believe I missed it before!

Congrats on the comp . You came in amazing shape. Completely ripped and cut. I would agree with daywalker, some of the guys look like they need to lose a few pounds to really be in comp shape.

Add about 15-20 pounds with the same conditioning and you'll place really well. Congrats!

Thanks Josh. Just trying to give vegean bodybuilding a good name!!

• 2 weeks later...