Plums

Almost everyday this summer I've eaten half a watermelon for lunch at work. Its freaking perfect and I feel great. I alos eat a ton of bananas throughout the day. So I figured my digestive system is pretty well accustomed to a high fruit diet, but today I ate about ten plums for lunch and its been killing me all day.

What gives? If i keep eating plums will i get used to 'em?

Almost everyday this summer I've eaten half a watermelon for lunch at work. Its freaking perfect and I feel great. I alos eat a ton of bananas throughout the day. So I figured my digestive system is pretty well accustomed to a high fruit diet, but today I ate about ten plums for lunch and its been killing me all day.

What gives? If i keep eating plums will i get used to 'em?

When's the last time you ate them?

I'm not sure. Its been awhile. I just started craving them last night, because was thinking of how peaches are in season and it made me crave plums -- so I went to the 24 hour produce place at 5:30 this morning and bought 5 pounds. So ... several months ago I guess.

I'm not sure. Its been awhile. I just started craving them last night, because was thinking of how peaches are in season and it made me crave plums -- so I went to the 24 hour produce place at 5:30 this morning and bought 5 pounds. So ... several months ago I guess.

Yeah, I meant before that. I don't know, I mean, even if you're not eating a lot of raw food, you should be able to stomach fruit with no problem, unless there was some kind of allergic reaction?

Prunes = dried plums, and prunes have a noticeable digestive effect.

Eating LOTS of plums may have given you too much of a good thing

... Since prune juice is equally effective, but lacking in fiber, some food chemists suggest that another constituent other than fiber is the real reason they are so effective as a laxative. Prunes contain an unidentified derivative of the organic chemical isatin, which is related to another natural substance called biscodyl, the active ingredient in some over-the-counter laxative preparations. Biscodyl is a contact laxative that induces the secretion of fluid in the bowel and stimulates contractions of the intestines to push waste through the colon more quickly and efficiently.

From: http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/fruits/plums.htm[/url]

@tommybricks: I just ate about 2 pounds of plums which I picked yesterday. They have no laxative effect on me. I am used to them. My advice: Keep eating lots of them but do not drink afterwords. there is no need to drink because they have enough water and additional water will lead to poor digestion...

@Geoff: If you have a healthy digestive tract there is no reason not to eat even high acidic fruit in large amounts. Especially because they are digested alkaline.