Bananas

tommybricks

A lot of people tell me that eating 10+ bananas a day is probably dangerous because of too much potassium or something. I ignore them and eat what I want anyway. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Since I am broke, I love bananas, and they are 39 cents a pound, I want to experiment for a few days and figure out how many pounds of bananas I'd have to eat a day to feel nourished. I'll probably eat watermelon too though. Any ideas about an all banana diet?

Don't worry about that. Bananas won't hurt you at all. You can only take so much potassium in dietarily...the rest will come out with your urine. If it were a problem we'd have a bunch of dead forum members since an overdose of potassium is extremely deadly.

Typically its not an issue. But, I read somewhere that if your kidneys have an ISSUE they might be unable to FLUSH out excess Potassium which most normal people are able to do.

Sodium on the other hand is more dangerous. But, Potassium is fine because excess gets FLUSHED out without being absorbed unless there's an issue with that.

Typically its not an issue. But, I read somewhere that if your kidneys have an ISSUE they might be unable to FLUSH out excess Potassium which most normal people are able to do.

Sodium on the other hand is more dangerous. But, Potassium is fine because excess gets FLUSHED out without being absorbed unless there's an issue with that.

I agree, come to think of it I only had a problem when I had nearly zero sodium intake.

http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/questions/potassium.html

I eat 10 a day also. Although I am trying to find new ways of eating them because sometimes the texture makes me sick after eating so many. I do put a lot in my smoothies.

I always like cheap raw foods. I normally spend anywhere between 150 - 180 dollars a week on raw food just to keep up my calories. So if there are anymore cheap raw foods you guys know about, keep em coming

Buy various organic beans in bulk, oat groats, wheat berries, quinoa and maybe flax seeds and sesame seeds. Soak them in water for 24hrs then drain and rinse them every 8-12 hours. If 2-3 days depending on what your sprouting you'll have sprouts. Its also much cheaper than buying them.

oh! a tangential question for all the banana eaters -

has anyone been getting bananas lately (last 2 months or so) that don't ripen? they're like stuck at yellowish green, and then they just get rotten?

i've gotten this recently in regular and organic bananas.

putting them in a bag doesn't help.

a bunch of people started mocking me at work, b/c we were talking about it, and i said 'maybe there's something they're not telling us!'

and they started laughing, asking 'how freaking paranoid do you have to be to think there's some kind of banana conspiracy?'

I've been running into that a little bit. Its been a bit different for me though. I buy them with some green and thats the way I like them but before they even start spotting the bananas are getting soft fast...then they get super mushy all over. I don't give them time to get black though...I throw them in the blender before then.