What are the bulkers eating???

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last night:

• one box kashi golean (sucks fer the sugars)
    half a jar of peanut butter
    some granola
    bottle of unsweetened almond milk

Holy fuck!

!DEATH BY CEREAL! I had been up for 24 hours straight too boot-toob oot

Cereal is a weakness of mine. It's so easy, and unsatisfying. I gave it up this month. I was going through 3 or 4 boxes of natures path a week. So, I decided to relax on it for a bit. 17 days clean.

yeah cereal is too easy! Id given it up for about 2 months before... 'cept for my huge bowl of S.C.Oats every morning at 4am.

maybe OT:

any bulkers ever wake up every 2-4 hours at night simply starving? This happens to me almost every night and ill eat something small. im afraid my digestion may never get a rest

last night:

some granola

Holy fuck!

Hey you know Golean has honey in it? I'm sure you do, silly question. But hey, is honey the only thing you compromise on? It was something I was on the fence about for a while.

last night:

some granola

Holy fuck!

A whole box of Kashi?! Those things should come with a complimentary bottle of Febreze

last night:

some granola

Holy fuck!

Hey you know Golean has honey in it? I'm sure you do, silly question. But hey, is honey the only thing you compromise on? It was something I was on the fence about for a while.

Also it comes from the asses of bees right? I wouldn't eat anything coming from my ass or someone else's ass, the ass of a dog, cat, bee or any other animal

• 3 weeks later...

I had an "accidental" bulking night by eating around 2500 cal. worth of nuts while watching movies before bed. I wasn't hungry all day (probably had only eaten something like 1500 cal. total), but once I tore into the snacks around 2 AM, it was all downhill from there I think that they're going to call a national shortage on curry cashews and candied pecans after this one.

How can someone put away 5K of calories a day and still be lean?

My 2200Cal diet is crying....

Anyway, calorie dense 'bulk' foods for me.

CEREAL

Grape Nuts

Oat Bran

Oats

Raisin Bran

BEANS

Kidney

Garbanzo

Black

OTHER

Long Grain Rice

Quinoa

Tofu

Whole Wheat Bread

FATS

Ground flaxseeds

Avocado (delicious!)

Almond Butter

Mixed Nuts

Also, for quick energy carbs, dried fruit can't be beat.

How can someone put away 5K of calories a day and still be lean?

Interesting question - I'll pretend it wasn't rhetorical. The answer would have to be 1) thousands of kcal worth of exercise (=lots of regular fat & carb oxidation) + 2 very low fat, very high CHO diet. Probably only happens in extreme vegan athletes, lol. But for sure, one can build muscle and lose fat at the same time (see my other posts for references).

Overfeeding studies using similarly large kcal amounts (and little or no exercise) all show inceases in LBM and fat stores, with the most muscle and least fat being acheived via a very high carb, very low fat diet (see my other posts for more info than you may desire). The higher the percentage of kcal from fat, the greater the unwelcome shift in the LBM:F ratio. A pair of related studies used a 4300 kcal hi-carb diet with 20% fat - since their activity level was very low the energy surplus was high: they gained about 1/2 lb of muscle per day (about 60 grams of actual protein out of 90 consumed - that's a 66% retention caused by elevated insulin levels via carbs). In addition they gained 70g fat per day, a near 1:1 recomposition ratio which is one of the best results in the literature (since most overfeeding studies are high in fat, the ratios are high, varying from 5:1 to up to 20:1, meaning each net gram of protein gained is accompanied by 5-20 grams of fat (yikes)! Thus the science shows us that the more we shift metabolism away from fat processing and towards carb processing, the more muscle and less fat is gained. For example another study showed that if you eat zero fat in a day, while meeting hunger (kcal maintenance) - you will still be burning over a gram of fat an hour. In other words it is possible to consume a surplus energy WITHOUT fat gain - but it is extremely rare because it doesn't take much fat intake to shift things in the wrong direction (of course exercise is another method for shifting in the right direction, as about half of energy used derives from fat. Personally, my program involves both very low fat and fasting (oxidizes about 4-6g fat per gram protein) - all in an effort to shift metabolism away from the highly efficient fat processing system!

Many of our forum members have lost or maintained body fat on a "high" fat diet. A great read for anyone interested in how we store and burn fat, I highly recommend How Fat Works. Fasting may result in fat loss but it will also result in muscle loss once you've used up your circulating amino acids stores. The vast majority of bodybuilders do not fast and many of us eat every 2.5 to 3 hours (with sufficient protein per meal) in order to avoid lean muscle catabolism. Regardless of what studies show, I think fat loss is more complicated and individualized than we realize.

For the record, I have to hide peanut butter in our storage unit because I've been known to polish off 1/2 a jar in an evening.

For the record, I have to hide peanut butter in our storage unit because I've been known to polish off 1/2 a jar in an evening.

amen to that! i do the SAME THING! When my ex lived here, i used to eat my 1 tablespoon.... ...then make him hide it on me.

then it kind of turned into a game. which wasn't good. if i found it, i won, but i also ate a ton of it....so i guess i lost too...

as zack would say-good ole peanut butter.

There was a post on best vegan proteins with best amino score, pumpkin seeds is still winning the 1st place -- 136 if I remember well?

So here's a recipe from a commercial product I forgot the name...

Pumpkin seeds and ginger raw energy bars

pumpkin seeds, agave nectar, almonds, dried cranberry, dried pineapple, ginger

• 5 weeks later...
Glad I'm not the only one!

You're definentally not the only one lol. I can finish off a whole container of Peanut Butter.

I've noticed recently that PB goes great with Silk Soymilk.

Oh yes!!! I had that for breakfast once! It was heaven at 5AM

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I eat soy quite a bit but I am concerned that I may be getting too many omega 6 fats. Is it possible to counter the omega 6 with omega 3? for example if you eat a lot of omega 6 also eat eat a lot of omega 3? Does the omega 3 murn up the omega 6 or are you just still clogging up your arteries with the omega 6?

• 1 month later...
I am a big eater.

4000 calories isn't even difficult for me...lol

Usually get some greens in, but that day I had none left.

I can hardly eat 2000! Seriously, I take a mental tally of what I've eaten for the day and it's like 1200-1500 most of the time, it's TERRIBLE. I need more since I'm doing weights and running...I'm just kinda poor. I eat like...bananas, oatmeal, quinoa, red beans, lentils, peanut butter, kale and broccoli.

I could easily eat more calories on the same budget, it would just be more fat though, and I don't really want that. Damn the cheap American diet standards!

• 3 weeks later...
I am a big eater.

4000 calories isn't even difficult for me...lol

Usually get some greens in, but that day I had none left.

I can hardly eat 2000! Seriously, I take a mental tally of what I've eaten for the day and it's like 1200-1500 most of the time, it's TERRIBLE. I need more since I'm doing weights and running...I'm just kinda poor. I eat like...bananas, oatmeal, quinoa, red beans, lentils, peanut butter, kale and broccoli.

I could easily eat more calories on the same budget, it would just be more fat though, and I don't really want that. Damn the cheap American diet standards!

I do the same, I can't stand to sit there and count 100% accurate, but I just eyeball it. I've been eating the same for a while so I know the calorie contents. I usually don't eat that much just because it takes so much effort to do, gets annoying, still easy to do though.

I've been known to eat ridiculously high amounts of carbs, enough to make any female on a low carb diet hate me. Ask thendanisays, or veggieprincess about that one.

• 1 month later...

Wow, some of these diets are alot real freakin food!

My question would be..

The amount of fiber in a vegan diet. I cant imagine taking in 4 to 6 thousand calories a day of just plant foods, especially if your weighing under 200 pounds. Do you have to get use to this many fiber rich foods (how much fiber is it anyway). I was able to hit the over 5000 mark many years ago when I was drinking milk , eating red meat, and sometimes using refined sugars (like soda) when I couldnt get enough calories from food. But thats not a diet im recommending to anyone for sure, LOL!

• 1 month later...

"-Peanut Butter and Jelly in a burrito (it's really not that bad!)"

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!

I eat a LOT of spaghetti.

209.4 body weight, 360 1RM flat bench.

Edit: I also pack in a lot of french fries and all-you-can-eat pancakes.

Many of our forum members have lost or maintained body fat on a "high" fat diet.

me too haha! I have a ridiculously high-fat diet: nuts, sunflower seeds, peanut butter smoothies, avocados, olive oil, easily over 100 grams a day haha.