What are the bulkers eating???

Typical lunches:

-2lbs of potatoes together with some nice runner beans

-rice with what-the-hell-is-that

-quinoa

-1lbs of carrots, 1lbs of broccoli, 1lbs of cauliflower, 1lbs of paprika, 1lbs of onions

-soups and stews

-vegetable paella

-vegetable chili

-hummus

-pizza

-rice or bean burgers

-everything from fatfreevegankitchen - great recipes, man!

-loaf of my own bread

-whatever weird thing jumps into my mind; I love cooking and I do it all the time. Also, I try to come up with at least one new combination of food and spices everyday. Helps me staying in balance.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it very difficult to eat above 2000~ calories on all raw foods.

Raw foods are just too satisfying for the hunger to eat alot.

Like if I have one huge organic spinach salad with organic carrots, organic cucumber, organic alfalfa sprouts, celery, and dressing it fills me to my stomach, and it only has like 40 calories max!

I wouldn't say you necessarily have to consume lots of calories to stay healthy and fit

To me a calorie isnt just a calorie. It depends on where the calorie came from.

Like if I eat a bowl of oatmeal which has about 150-200 calories I sometimes dont get full

But if I eat a big 40 cal salad I cant eat anymore

Haha sorry people for the unorganized post, I hope yous get my drift.

Starches (brown rice, potatoes, buckwheat, quinoa & millet), legumes, TVP, fruits, nuts/seeds/avocado, soy milk, rice protein, oils and veggies. Pretty much in that order from most calories in my diet to least calories of my diet.

I supplement with EAA, beta-alanine and creatine.

• 2 weeks later...
Many of our forum members have lost or maintained body fat on a "high" fat diet.

For the record, I have to hide peanut butter in our storage unit because I've been known to polish off 1/2 a jar in an evening.

me too haha! I have a ridiculously high-fat diet: nuts, sunflower seeds, peanut butter smoothies, avocados, olive oil, easily over 100 grams a day haha.

I would be really careful with a high fat diet.

It can cause big time problems down the road.

I am a big eater.

4000 calories isn't even difficult for me...lol

Usually get some greens in, but that day I had none left.

I can hardly eat 2000! Seriously, I take a mental tally of what I've eaten for the day and it's like 1200-1500 most of the time, it's TERRIBLE. I need more since I'm doing weights and running...I'm just kinda poor. I eat like...bananas, oatmeal, quinoa, red beans, lentils, peanut butter, kale and broccoli.

Imagine one getting intake of 4000 or so by eating bananas, red beans, quinoa and veggies of the like; would that be satisfactory for a bulker's needs?

• 1 month later...

wheat gluten (I'm addicted to field roast sausages), soy sources whether soy milk or tofu or edamame etc., all varieties of beans, sunflower seed kernels, all varieties of nuts (I mostly get almonds), whole wheat breads (gotta really watch the labels on these), brown rice, tons and tons and tons of hummus. love it. one trick I've gotten in the habit of doing is buying soy crisps and using them to scoop up the hummus, but be sure to check the labels; the ranch soy crisps have milk ingredients.

get fats from avocado (I use alot in salads), of course also nuts of all kinds, and I personally love green olives and eat tons.

carbs from wheat breads and pastas, and obviously from fruits. my favorites are blueberries, blackberries, bananas, grapes, and apples. you can also get oatmeal, but alot of that can be sketchy so I just eat straight up quaker oats with berries, almonds, and soy milk.

make sure you meet other dietary loose ends like calcium from kale or leafy greens, and iron from chickpeas, selenium from brazil nuts, potassium from bananas, etc.

I'll make a big pot of stuff like spicy veggie gumbo with an array of veggies, the Mexican chipolte wheat gluten sausages and diced tomatoes, and just save it and eat on it for a few days.

this is very very general but my protein is about 20%, carbs 60%, and fats 20%. I don't crunch numbers, but just make good decisions. eat 6 times a day, and eat til you're full.

as for supplements, I just take one flax seed oil or a spoon of udo's oil a day, and one high potency multivitamin a day (read the label on this too, sometimes it can have fish ingredients)

and just generally read labels on everything that has one. avoid high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, msg, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

What Robert and VeganEssentials wrote on the first page really is the truth. When you're bulking, you eat. You cram high quantities of calorie-dense foods together and eat that shiz right up. I haven't bulked since becoming vegan, but my omnivore stuff was absolutely insane. I'd eat a pound of meat and double that in vegetables in one meal. It's that kind of quantity you're looking for if you want to bulk. Bulking is deliberate. It does not happen on accident (except for when you eat half a jar of delicious PB, lol), and that's what I tell people when I'm at work because, seriously, they seem to think that shiz is something that can accidentally pop onto them overnight. Muscle is deliberate, bulking is deliberate. You must deliberately eat lots of food that is high in calories.

What Robert and VeganEssentials wrote on the first page really is the truth. When you're bulking, you eat. You cram high quantities of calorie-dense foods together and eat that shiz right up. I haven't bulked since becoming vegan, but my omnivore stuff was absolutely insane. I'd eat a pound of meat and double that in vegetables in one meal. It's that kind of quantity you're looking for if you want to bulk. Bulking is deliberate. It does not happen on accident (except for when you eat half a jar of delicious PB, lol), and that's what I tell people when I'm at work because, seriously, they seem to think that shiz is something that can accidentally pop onto them overnight. Muscle is deliberate, bulking is deliberate. You must deliberately eat lots of food that is high in calories.

Yes but make sure the food is what agrees with you. Makes no sense to me to eat foods that simply do not work in my body. Each one of us is designed a bit different for example I do not like grapefruit.

Unfortunately this doesn't work for most. The above method leads to huge muscles, but also to huge fat. If your standard intake is 2500kcals and you jump up to 4000, most of the weight you will be gaining is fat....

Unfortunately this doesn't work for most. The above method leads to huge muscles, but also to huge fat. If your standard intake is 2500kcals and you jump up to 4000, most of the weight you will be gaining is fat....

That all depends on your body, your training, how "clean" you bulk (no bullshit, just whole foods), and your current fat level. While I was doing this, I was losing fat and gaining muscle mass. I was losing weight when I started training (I'm a 5'7 woman and started at 250lbs), but I started eating like this when I was 195 and trying to get down to 160 (weight max for my height/gender in the Marine Corps). I was doing hard cardio, hard lifting, and 1.5 hours of yoga 2-4 times a week towards the end. Took me 3 months to lose 35lbs and I was eating around 3500-4100 calories per day.

But your argument is that jumping from 2500kcal to 4000 overnight will make someone gain fat. Sure. But that doesn't mean that they can't add in 200-400 calories a day for a week, then add in more the next week, and eventually build up to the 4000kcal. I was just illustrating that's what needs to be aimed for. There's a supplement, and I'm not sure if it's vegan, called Black Hole by Controlled Labs. It's an appetite enhancer. I'll check on it.

• 4 weeks later...

For the first time ever I kept a food diary yesterday... and I came in at about 1900kcals. I was gobsmacked and I thought I'd eaten a fair bit. I'll be rethinking my diet and adding 200-400kcals per week will be the goal!

When I am trying to bulk I will just try to eat like crazy, but I will still lay off the junk because obviously that is fattening.

To be more specific, one of my biggest bulking foods is potatoes...potatoes will bulk you up like no other food will. I will also eat a lot of steaks, burgers, rice, milk, shakes, and things of that sort. But as I said potatoes are my main bulk food, and if you like them you are in luck because you will pack on weight quick with the potatoes!

• 3 weeks later...
When I am trying to bulk I will just try to eat like crazy, but I will still lay off the junk because obviously that is fattening.

To be more specific, one of my biggest bulking foods is potatoes...potatoes will bulk you up like no other food will. I will also eat a lot of steaks, burgers, rice, milk, shakes, and things of that sort. But as I said potatoes are my main bulk food, and if you like them you are in luck because you will pack on weight quick with the potatoes!

Did you miss the vegan part of the website name?

you have to take into account that everyone is welcome to this site. Vegan/non-vegan, everyone is welcome to come share and learn. If you read what was said they were emphasizing potatoes! Yeah, I did see the non vegan items too but they were pushing potatoes as a great bulking food. Ease up and try to teach rather than judge.

I can't wait to rip up some cinnamon toast crunch and some dark chocolate dream peanutbutter after next Saturday. I haven't been craving too many foods as of lately. I did eat a small container of vegan chocolate almond ice cream after a 5k run yest in which I thought I deserved it. Even though I'm not bulking... Lol

probars, larabars, and raw revolution bars are on my list as well

• 1 month later...

Just jumped to page 5 to add to the title.. excuse any errors of skipping over material.

I feel like this info is everywhere, and said many times relating to good balanced healthy intake and such.

The margin for me, is emphasizing fruit packed smoothies after work outs and to start the day, some good stir fry's in a steel wok, quinoa, lot's of fried tofu sandwiches on whole grain bread with lot's of lettuce, kale, or cabbage. I'm a fan of let your food be a powerful tool. It's amazing when you see which foods have what nutrients. Keep in mind a decent variety/ balance, and food combinations. Bananas are always good! Rates that your body processes which types and how long those nutrients/ fuel from those last. Most protein sources leave protein in your system for less than a few hours. Even better reason to eat more often meals. Fruits will go through your system the quickest. I'm about to go work out, then come home and make a large smoothie equivalent of 4-5 pints. It will move through me rapidly and leave me not so full. I'll follow that with a stir fry or more sandwiches. 7 tofu sandwiches spaced out 2 hours or so is one way of doing things. I did that for 3 months and found greater results than I would have ever thought.

BTW, it was tasteless to mention those dead animals on this forum in my mind. Dude doesn't even have a profile pic, has 6 posts, and mentioned nothing of trying to go veg. .02

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I eat five - six meals per day, and they pretty much look like this:

Meal 1: a.m. preworkout: apple with handful of almonds and green tea or flaxseed bread with almond butter or soy yogurt with almonds or walnuts

Meal 2: Vega protein shake with spirulina, fruit, coconut oil or flaxseed oil, rice milk, sometimes smooth tofu for extra protein

Meal 3: (there are many options here usually, but here's just a few:) tofu with brown rice and veggies sauted in olive oil and garlic, hummus and veggies with a spinach salad with garbanzo or kidney beans, tomatoes, avocados, lentil soup with small salad, almond butter and organic jam on flaxseed or Ezekiel bread or whole grain wrap or rice cake, bananas cut up with steel cut oats with cinnamon and agave or brown rice syrup to sweeten

Meal 4: one piece or fruit (apple, pear, grapes, bananas) or veggies cut up, lara bar, one cup mixed berries

Meal 5: (again, many options and I love to cook dinner. Here's just a few:) organic flax or whole grain pasta with homemade tomato sauce with soy meat alternative crumbles or tofu crumbles, organic pasta with olive oil, garlic and tomatoes, various soups with any kind of bean thrown in (pinto/navy/chick peas/kidney/etc.) I always make some sort of vegetable here, as well, rice and bean tortilla with salsa and avocado

Meal 6: IF HUNGRY - protein shake before bed with water only or soy yogurt with pineapple (pineapple contains bromein which aids in digestion and breaking down fat)

I tend to eat a lot of beans and rice and tons of fruits and vegetables. I stay away from all refined sugars and only drink green tea or yerba mate tea, along with one gallon water (at least) each day.

• 2 weeks later...
For the first time ever I kept a food diary yesterday... and I came in at about 1900kcals. I was gobsmacked and I thought I'd eaten a fair bit. I'll be rethinking my diet and adding 200-400kcals per week will be the goal!

THIS is what everyone should do before they start any new "diet" or "meal plan". So many people tell me "I eat sooo much food you just don't get it! I can't gain weight!" and then I ask them ok, how many calories you eat a day? NO ANSWER! Once they actually do an HONEST food log for the span of atleast a few days they realize they have absolutely not been eating enough. Some people gain well on only a few hundred calories over maintenence and others, like myself, need almost 1000 cals over maintenance to see a progression.

And in my opinion, a true bulk means putting on some fat. It's really not a big deal. Do you want to put on the most muslce in the shortest amount of time? Get fat!!!! hahaha I know that's not what people want to hear but unless you're ok with only gaining a few lbs of TRUE muscle every few months then you need to put on some fat too. It's better to bulk heavy and trim the fat than bulk lean and slow as hell. (granted this is for people not on drugs as that changes things a little bit)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hang in there Grape Nuts. I tend to cheat quite a bit and even though I'm cheating with clean foods I put on fat pretty quickly. I try to follow the glycemic load principles of keeping all my meals at no more than 15. Anyone ever had any success with this? It's hard work. It seems like a lot of trial and error to figure out what works best for your own individual body.

• 2 weeks later...

you have to take into account that everyone is welcome to this site. Vegan/non-vegan, everyone is welcome to come share and learn. If you read what was said they were emphasizing potatoes! Yeah, I did see the non vegan items too but they were pushing potatoes as a great bulking food. Ease up and try to teach rather than judge.

I can't wait to rip up some cinnamon toast crunch and some dark chocolate dream peanutbutter after next Saturday. I haven't been craving too many foods as of lately. I did eat a small container of vegan chocolate almond ice cream after a 5k run yest in which I thought I deserved it. Even though I'm not bulking... Lol

probars, larabars, and raw revolution bars are on my list as well

That's why I followed with the " "...

• 7 months later...

I guess I am just not eating enough! I am baout 6'3" and about 203 lbs and can't seem to get above this weight!

When I look at Reobert's mass eating list from his book and what he wrote in this thread, I don't know how to eat that much without being sick. It is as if some people can't tolerate that many calories! I find myself forcing food when not hungy. Not fun. I just try to keep protein intake high.