RAW diet

BJJVegan

I figured that would be the case. I just cant afford to lose weight! I actually want to put on about 40 lbs and I want to do at least a 75% RAW diet. So ANY tips would be great!

I'm doing that right now. About 75% raw is the right number in my case. Right now since things are starting to go out of season, I've been making large smoothies about 800cal each raw. Also, I believe green food is essential for good muscle growth, in my experience at least. I do a lot of vegetable juice, salads, and whatever fruit I happen to buy..

Just try it out, keep the calories up and see what happens, can't hurt to try.

I lost a little bit of weight at first but it came back on pretty quickly(I was trying to lose weight). Thing is you can gain muscle on the raw diet but 40lbs is a lot unless this is a lifetime goal. If you want to get on 40lbs in 2-3 years I just don't think its gonna happen.

Def not just a lifetime goal. I guess if im not gaining weight fast enough I can always modify my diet to achieve this goal. Then again ill prob just see how my body is changing and if I like where im at ill just stick with what im doing.

The only reason I was wanting to gain that much is I want to fight (MMA) at a higher weight class. Also the same weight class for BJJ tournaments. Right now i with a little bit of a weight cut i would be fighting at 145 lb. So anyways I guess Ill just see how its going then go from there.

Pretty basic. To gain weight you gotta eat. You can absolutely do this on a Raw diet.

Raw Nut butters, Cocunut Oil, Avacado and Raw Olive oil - all super high calorie foods. Also you can do raw Hemp Protien shakes... Lots of options outside of fruit and veggies to pack on the pounds.

Def not just a lifetime goal. I guess if im not gaining weight fast enough I can always modify my diet to achieve this goal. Then again ill prob just see how my body is changing and if I like where im at ill just stick with what im doing.

The only reason I was wanting to gain that much is I want to fight (MMA) at a higher weight class. Also the same weight class for BJJ tournaments. Right now i with a little bit of a weight cut i would be fighting at 145 lb. So anyways I guess Ill just see how its going then go from there.

Am I missing something here? You cut a bit to make 145, and you want to gain 40lbs and fight at 185? or maybe 170? That's a huge leap. How is that kind of weight gain going to affect your fight training? How do you maintain fight conditioning with that kind of weight gain? It just doesn't make sense to me. Not to mention, almost all fighters cut to make weights, so you're going to be fighting some big dudes, maybe guys that are naturally much bigger than you. Why not try to get to 155 and take it from there?

I think you can certainly gain weight eating raw, that's not the issue. I weigh around 139 - 140 and can cut to make 135 for a fight if I want. At 135, I'm a pretty big, strong fighter - stronger than most of the lanky 135s. I could fight at 145 a bit light and be okay. At 155, the guys are either a lot taller than me, or just stocky and I'd be at a huge weight disadvantage (I have to fight at 155 at my in-house club tourneys - it sucks). I'm at my fitness peak between 135 and 140. I can't imagine myself beyond 155.

Anyway, without knowing your height etc, it's hard for me to tell. I'm just going off you saying you fight at 145 now. As far as foods - as much fruit as possible - bananas are cheap and easy to eat lots. Greens are super important, like Zack said - fire up those smoothies with kale and algae. I would stay away from any added oils including coconut oil - I don't think it's very healthy at all - and I personally avoid nuts in any quantity. Just my two bits.

The thing is im 5'10" and im already pretty skinny. And im already at 155. The biggest amount of weight that is smart to cut is 20 lbs You can do more but its a major health risk. So I guess if I were to gain 20 lbs and cut to 155 that would be fine. But how much bigger will I really be with 20 lbs??

I honestly dont see how 40 lbs is going to affect my training. BJJ and Muay Thai are styles that can be used by any weight class.

Anyways im not 100% im gonna want to gain 40 lbs anyways. Ill just start gaining and see if I get to a point that I feel is the right place to stay.

The thing is im 5'10" and im already pretty skinny. And im already at 155. The biggest amount of weight that is smart to cut is 20 lbs You can do more but its a major health risk. So I guess if I were to gain 20 lbs and cut to 155 that would be fine. But how much bigger will I really be with 20 lbs??

I honestly dont see how 40 lbs is going to affect my training. BJJ and Muay Thai are styles that can be used by any weight class.

Anyways im not 100% im gonna want to gain 40 lbs anyways. Ill just start gaining and see if I get to a point that I feel is the right place to stay.

I believe he means that it may affect your weight, because you want to be strong for your weight, and make every pound count. He's probably a really fast fighter at 135.

I guess I still dont understand what either of you is saying. How is gaining 40 lbs of muscle going to affect my strength?? I understand speed a little bit but I doubt its going to affect my speed either. Prime example of someone that gained a bunch of weight and did awesome, Andrei Arlovski. He went from fighting at 185 and moved to heavyweight. Hes prob one of the fastest heavyweights in the UFC.

Puting on 40 lbs will put me near 200 lbs and when I cut to 185 ill be just the same size and strength as any other 185 lber thats doing the same thing. Plus im not going to be in fight training mode anyways. Ill be able to practise technique until Im ready to fight.

Anyways I wasnt really looking for advice on what weight class I should fight at. I was just asking to see how difficult it was going to be to gain that much on a RAW diet.

People that aren't naturally big exponentially lose speed with weight gain while people that are naturally big only lose a little bit of speed. Also its much harder to fight up in class but going down is easy. If you lose 20lbs sure you'll be weaker than you normally are but you have a strength base others at that weight didn't have. If you go up...you'll be fighting people that are used to being that weight...they may not have all the power you do because the muscle you have would all be lean muscle but they will normally be faster and have much more endurance since many of them may do cardio just to stay at that weight class while others try to get up to it.

I wasn't meaning to lecture you on what weight to fight at - my apologies if it came across that way. I just read 145 and gain 40 lbs and thought wow that's a big jump. If you're a comfortable 155 now (is that in fighting trim?) I would stay there until it's too hard to cut to make 155. As far as fighting up a class or 2 (!) I personally wouldn't push it. A guy who's 185 at the weigh in will be closer to 200lbs on fight day. I don't have any BJJ experience, but I have been in the ring with a 190lb fighter in muay thai and the strikes are way harder than anything I felt at 155. I still think it's going to be a struggle to gain that much weight without sacrificing your cardio. I don't know - eat a lot of bananas!

I believe he means that it may affect your weight, because you want to be strong for your weight, and make every pound count. He's probably a really fast fighter at 135.

It's not so much about speed - that wouldn't change, but it's about being big for the weight class and strong. It's about maximum ability to damage, knock out and thus win.

It's not so much about speed - that wouldn't change, but it's about being big for the weight class and strong. It's about maximum ability to damage, knock out and thus win.

The weight class, there we go, I knew there was a method to your madness.

Aw ok i get what youre getting at. Well I would actually like to stay at a lower weight class because I think my height would be a major advantage for me. So if I can actually gain alot of strength and still be able to cut to a smaller weight class I would do that. I just figured gaining muscle im ultimately going to gain weight considering muscle weighs more than fat. I guess I just figured I might at as well shoot for a higher weight class but if I can gain the strength Ill shoot for a lower weight.

And to answer your question about my weight now. 155-160 is what i walk around at now.

Can you gain some major strength without gaining too much weight?

On a raw diet you'll build lean muscle - so I guess you might be a little stronger pound for pound. Ultimately, if you really start to gain muscle, you'll gain weight.

I agree that your height can be a major advantage. Train hard, increase your strength and see what happens! Start sparring with heavier guys in your training and gauge your strength against theirs, see how you fare.

On a raw diet you'll build lean muscle - so I guess you might be a little stronger pound for pound. Ultimately, if you really start to gain muscle, you'll gain weight.

I agree that your height can be a major advantage. Train hard, increase your strength and see what happens! Start sparring with heavier guys in your training and gauge your strength against theirs, see how you fare.

Very good idea. Thanks!