8 foods to eat everyday

ronnie kray

a report from MSN Health and Fitness and Best Life. 8 foods you should eat everyday.

Spinach

Yogurt (? why not soygurt instead!)

Tomatoes

Carrots

Blueberries

Black Beans

Walnuts

Oats

No meat, no animal products, except for one which has dairy. it also points to spinach, black beans, oats, and walnuts as being good for muscle building. it's nothing that anyone here didn't already know, but it is good to see something get out once in a while that backs up what we have been saying, and from a mainstream news source.

Protein makes up 30% of the calories from spinach and it's high in methionine, an essential amino acid that is somewhat lacking in many plant foods. If you cannot or do not eat much soy and you are looking to put on muscle mass, spinach might be a very good addition to your diet.

Protein makes up 30% of the calories from spinach and it's high in methionine, an essential amino acid that is somewhat lacking in many plant foods. If you cannot or do not eat much soy and you are looking to put on muscle mass, spinach might be a very good addition to your diet.

You are so smart, thanks for being here!

Thanks Zack! It's not so much about being smart as it is a keen interest in human nutrition. If I could afford the time off from work I would consider getting a degree in nutrition. But I would never use a nutrition degree professionally because I don't think people should have to pay to learn how to eat healthy, so there's no point. And I shudder to even think about another master's thesis project......

Gold! Interesting - I had no idea.

Since spinach is a green leafy OPEN veggie susceptible to pesticides & insecticides / chemicals - Would the organic one be a better option?

Gold! Interesting - I had no idea.

Since spinach is a green leafy OPEN veggie susceptible to pesticides & insecticides / chemicals - Would the organic one be a better option?

50% of the spinach grown in the states is contaminated with excess pesticide beyond government regulation, read that in a book at least.

I get organic, it's not too much more. I also soak it in water and some apple cider vinegar to kill any bad bacteria that could be in it (e-coli). Probably not a necessary thing, but I do it anyways.

Zack,

I think it depends on the processing of the oats. If you go by weight, each 100 gms has between 14-17 gms of protein (according to nutritiondata.com). I guess it depends on whether the oats are whole, rolled, instant, etc.

Crashnburn,

I buy only local spinach, either unsprayed or organic. Knowing where the spinach comes from allows you to know if there are any animal farms nearby that may contaminate the fields. If I can't buy local then it's organic if possible. I spin all of my raw greens in a salad spinner. That may not remove every last bacteria but it certainly decreases the bacterial load if something is contaminated.

• 2 weeks later...