Vegan shoes..

xdtmepatx

I'm sure this has come up before, so I really do apologize if that's the case.

I've been on vegan essentials, peta, etc, and I'm sorely disappointed in the lack of vegan friendly shoes. I tend to wear alot of slip ons, as before I went vegan I had a wide selection of Nike Lo Dunks.

Anybody know of any more aesthetically pleasing, and comfortable shoes?

Moo Shoes certainly has a great selection, although they can be tough on your wallet. The beauty of many inexpensive shoes is that they are made of synthetic materials (including the glue, before anyone questions that). You have some great choices in White Plains because you are close to so many places to shop.

If you google "cheap shoes" you will find many ideas. I don't look for the word "vegan" when purchasing shoes because many companies don't market synthetic shoes that way. I look for the words "man-made" or "synthetic" or "fabric." Zappos.com has a vegetarian shoe section, but many of the vegan shoes are not listed there. Nine West has some great non-leather shoes, especially at their outlet stores. Many of the discount shoe stores offer synthetic shoes.

It takes a bit of investigating to find synthetic shoes but it gets easier once you know what you're looking for - just like eating vegan when you're at a restaurant or selecting prepared foods.

Moo Shoes certainly has a great selection, although they can be tough on your wallet. The beauty of many inexpensive shoes is that they are made of synthetic materials (including the glue, before anyone questions that). You have some great choices in White Plains because you are close to so many places to shop.

If you google "cheap shoes" you will find many ideas. I don't look for the word "vegan" when purchasing shoes because many companies don't market synthetic shoes that way. I look for the words "man-made" or "synthetic" or "fabric." Zappos.com has a vegetarian shoe section, but many of the vegan shoes are not listed there. Nine West has some great non-leather shoes, especially at their outlet stores. Many of the discount shoe stores offer synthetic shoes.

It takes a bit of investigating to find synthetic shoes but it gets easier once you know what you're looking for - just like eating vegan when you're at a restaurant or selecting prepared foods.

That's a very good point, Flanders. If one is looking to clothes oneself in vegan, environmentally friendly, fair trade, non-sweat shop items then the choices decrease significantly and the prices tend to increase. Some forum members may have the financial resources to shop in that manner but many do not. In a better world, this would not be the case. In the meantime, there is always PayLess Shoe Source!

Andrew I think vegetarian shoes and probably even vegan essentials sells those recycled hemp boots for about $70.

WAHHHHHH?

That might be where I spend the book money I saved from the 2 classes I had to drop due to endsembles. Niceeee.

edit- crap, they're still 115 bucks. I'd rather get an SM57 if I had that type of dough lying around. God I'm such a recording nerd.

The price on the Adbusters boots is going to come down soon, so if you can hold out for a bit...

We just received an email yesterday that said they'll be dropping the wholesale cost by $10 per pair, which will mean around a $20 price drop on our side in October once we restock, we'll reflect the new price on our site.

For the work boots, we have some of the older style ones from Veg Shoes in stock now (of which, the cost will drop soon to make way for the new ones we'll get in next month), though they are fairly expensive. Nothing but postitive feedback from the people I know who have worn them, though, so they're definitely a solid boot.

As always, if anyone is looking for a specific type of shoe, feel free to email me with details or images and I'll see what I can do to find what you're looking for, even if I can't get it I will try to point you in the right direction. It's tough for a vegan shop to have everything that people want - it's kind of funny that when we get in what everyone wants one season, the next one everyone is looking for something totally different. There are SO many styles of shoes, but when it comes to ethically-made vegan stuff, the choices slim down a bit but we're still left with more options out there than we can ever stock. Take it from me, carrying lots of shoes in your store is the surest way to drive your business to the poor house I could tell some horror stories about being stuck with $10k worth of shoes that didn't move and having to liquidate them below cost just to pay off the supplier (who shall go nameless as of now ), all after their styles were a smashing success just months before. That's how it goes in this biz - just when you think that everyone loves what you carry, next thing you know, there's something new in the way of footwear that everyone likes and you're sitting on a warehouse full of styles that don't get much interest.

Anyway, enough ranting from me. If anyone has suggestions for what they'd like to see us carry, let me know and I'll see what I can do. We're planning a big overhaul of our shoe selection in mid 2008, so any input I can get now will help for the future!

Ryan

• 4 weeks later...
Steve Madden makes many vegan shoes. Not all are vegan, so do a little homework. I love Madden's shoes! http://www.stevemadden.com/

He is on Peta's guide to compassionate clothing.

He makes some nice stuff but all the stuff I clicked on was leather : /

You know if there's a search option for non-leather stuff?

No, I don't know if there is a search engine. When I shop, it usually will say synthetic or made with leather trim, or soles.

I would use the online customer chat option and ask someone.

Or browse amazon, because it gives more detail there.

Alicia Silverstone rocks these....

http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Madden-Womens-Cecillia-Flat/dp/B000H6C97E#moreAboutThisProduct

For reference.

http://www.peta.org/Living/alt4.asp