Rant about picking a place to train...

dontxhide

I started my martial arts about 5 years ago. Because we didnt have any Jeet Kune Do gyms in Utah at the time I trained out of books and videos, occasionally having sparring nights in a basement of a friends house.

I joined a Muay Thai gym a couple years later because all of my friends were joining Not a very good reason. I didnt like the atmosphere and the bully attitude of most the people in the gym. Plus I felt I already knew how to fight I wanted to learn self defense. Sadly, most Muay Thai schools in america train for boxing rings and thats all.

I tore my knee during a horribly executed kick which I was never trained on how to throw. So I quit the gym and got surgery instead.

The next year was weightlifting and rehabilitating. Currently I have been training myself again in JKD, alone, which is horrible for learning, and doing crossfit exercises.

My question:

There is a Krav Maga gym here and a JKD gym here now. I am not going to be in Utah very long, Im moving to Portland in 6 months. So I want to take Krav Maga because its a fighting system that relies strictly on street self defense and dont mind taking for a short period of time, until I move to Portland and join a straight blast gym up there.

I would really like to take JKD, but I dont want to take it for six months, then leave :/

Anyways.

Krav Maga: 79 a month, classes are days I have school. Except Saturday. So only real day to take the class I can make is Saturday.

JKD: Classes I can take whenever. 125 a month. OUCH!

I need to make a decision.

Just ranting :/

I don't think you will learn much taking class 1 day a week. It's recommended that you go to class at least 2 days a week in any martial art. I used to train in Krav Maga for 4-6 months.

Here's what you'll learn in a beginner level KM classes.

Hammer Fists

Palm Strikes

Jab/Cross

Elbow Strikes

Knee Strikes

Low Roundhouse kick to the knee

Front Groin Kick

Front Snap Kick

Escape from Standing Choke (front, side, behind)

Striking from the ground. Kicks to attackers knees if you get knocked to the ground and your attacker is still standing.

Escape from Side Headlock/Choke

KM schools usually don't teach knife, gun, and stick self-defense until after the first level. I hope this post was helpful.

Thanks.

One my first try out class I was taught stick defense and take away, choke defense, and general krav maga stances. Its not a typical KM class. They broke away from the Krav Maga name and started doing there own. They also train in weapon offense too.

He said I could take Muay Thai on tues and thurs when I dont have school and KM/P3 on Saturdays. Even though I like Muay Thai, I wasnt looking to take Muay Thai.

I told him my worries, and he said he can lower the price to 50 dollars a month with taking KM only on Saturday. Thats 8 hours of class a monthfor 50 dollars.

With that that would leave me pretty good free time for my other training regimes. I know martial arts are muscle memory, and it seems after a week of no classes wouldnt my muscle never really retain that martial arts memory that is necessary?

A lot of it is how instilled that muscle memory is. I played so much tennis, and hockey when I was younger that I know I can still serve over 110mph and hit a puck over 70 and I haven't done either in nearly ten years other than going out to prove that I could do it every other year or even less in the case of hockey. If you were got good for a while and didn't stay there for a while then stopped then that memory will leave you pretty quick without more repetition.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been training at Straight Blast for 10 months and love it! The guys are awesome and there is a very positive vibe there. Before I moved to Portland, I did Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at a place in New Haven, CT.

I find that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu places tend to have good people because BJJ forces you to get your ego in check. When you first start training you will get submitted all the time and you will either become humble and learn from your mistakes or you will quit from frustration. This usually sends a lot of the tough guys packing after 1 or 2 classes.