Gorilla Greens

Guest Bikerdave

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're forgetting the spinach though, friend.
Thanks, ...... ooooooops !!! ----- Actually I only forgot to list it with my thread here ---- I love spinach and have consumed my fair share of it

This greens, size/strength thing just doesn't make sense to me, I've heard this point made so many times and it makes less sense each time I hear it....so are you saying that if a gorrilla ate anything else but greens it wouldn't be as strong or as big as it is and that if we all eat greens we'll automatically take on the strength and size of animals that eat greens, if that was so what's to stop us from inheriting the size/strength of animals such as sheep, rabbits, horses and if we really want to get huge why not eat what elephants eat?

Gorillas are naturally big and strong and they don't eat greens to maintain any muscle mass, a gorrilla is a gorrilla no matter what it eats, just the same as a human is a human regardless of what we eat.

I don't mean to be a jerk but it just doesn't make sense.

Good luck with the training!

All your information on this is very well researched, but I am still with Bigbwii.

Gorillas are big because they are gorillas. They have the DNA that makes them that big. They eat all those greens because its the most efficiant way to fuel their bodys.

Now I dont disagree that eating a lot of greens helps increase human strength, but if your eating a balanced raw/fruitarian diet I believe it works better anyways.

Now I dont disagree that eating a lot of greens helps increase human strength, but if your eating a balanced raw/fruitarian diet I believe it works better anyways.

I think that was the original point. To think there's a diet that allows you to become more like a gorilla is silly, but he saying that the research shows that animals in the wild can sustain strength on raw food, so we should be able to also.

Gorilla's have physical differences that cause them to be able to handle such a large amount of greens, we can't. Try eating what you juiced and see if it works out. I love juice, but the point is we don't have the same body structure as a gorilla...

That being said, I do believe greens are a very important part of muscle growth.

This greens, size/strength thing just doesn't make sense to me, I've heard this point made so many times and it makes less sense each time I hear it....so are you saying that if a gorrilla ate anything else but greens it wouldn't be as strong or as big as it is and that if we all eat greens we'll automatically take on the strength and size of animals that eat greens, if that was so what's to stop us from inheriting the size/strength of animals such as sheep, rabbits, horses and if we really want to get huge why not eat what elephants eat?

Gorillas are naturally big and strong and they don't eat greens to maintain any muscle mass, a gorrilla is a gorrilla no matter what it eats, just the same as a human is a human regardless of what we eat.

I don't mean to be a jerk but it just doesn't make sense.

Good luck with the training!

I think that's a really good question and I do not think that you are being a jerk at all. If you visit a food composition website, you will see that vegetables, especially greens, are loaded with minerals and protiens compared with fruits. It's just the way that nature did it. Fruits have an action of supplying calories that we all need in order to sustain ourselves, but vegetable are filled with the body builder such as our protiens and minerals. Let's look at a few comparisons, For protien, a 100 gram serving of apples contains only .4 grams of protien. In comparison, leaf lettuce contains 1.2 grams of protien per 100 grams. That's triple the protien. Juice that leaf lettuce and you've got a great source of protien.

I drank a 4 ounce glass of juice that had two heads of lettuce, one apple, and one carrot in it, and recieved 35 grams of protien. Not powders or shakes to add. Apples help to release the nutrients in other veggies, si I always add them to the juicer. Let's look at a few more items, Spinach has 2.1 grams of protien per 100 grams, Chard has 1.4 grams of protien per 100 grams, Brussels Sprouts have 4.4 grams of protien per 100 grams, even potatoes have 2.5 grams of protien per 100 grams. Since we all agree that we need protien in order to bulk up, it's easy to see that a gorilla gets really big eating greens that have on average, triple the protien content of fruits. I wish that I could get my hands on beet greens more, as they contain a whopping 2.2 grams of protien per 100 grams. But juicing a glass of juice like I do, has as much protien as a boneless, skinless chicken breast. I used to juice 13 times a day. But it would be unfair to talk only of protien as muscle mass is of course made up of many things. greens and all other vegetables have a massive amount of vitamins and minerals compared with any fruit. I would be happy to post comparisons if you like? But things such as lettuce, beet greens, and carrots, are loaded with nutrients. In order to survive on greens alone, one would have to munch quite a bit, and a gorilla does.

Greens just don't have as many calories as fruit, and they aren't as sweet either. Hence, fruit is more attractive. But try it for yourself if you have the extra money, and look at food nutrient charts and see what I mean.

I don't agree with the info about calories/protien, etc because I've seen results with my own training and growth to prove otherwise, plus anybody can get big/huge by stuffing themselves with meat or greens all day and abusing their system but does that mean your going to be healthy or it's all muscle mass?

Personly, I've learnt that food is not the be all and end all when it comes to muscle growth,

You've forgotten about "REST/RECOVERY" and "TRAINING"

Rest and intense training you do is just as important and plays a major role in getting good results, in my experience and opinion, food doesn't give energy, nor fuel, infact it takes away energy because it has to be digested, rest gives me more energy and fuel than anything I could eat.

In my case fruits merely serve to replace nutrients I have lost and to keep me hydrated, nothing more and nothing less.

If what a human or animal comsumes is not the factor, How can we account for the high level of obesity in our country? Trainers for Olympic Athletes say that what we put in our bodies, is the single biggest factor to our health. Sure we can have genetic propensities, if you feed anyone a high fat diet such as burgers and fries, they will not make the United States Olympic Team. I am with you guys that we need to do what works for us, but our bodies need fuel, and what we decide to feed them, will show in our overall health. Look at what Olympic Althletes eat that actually win the gold.

We have high levels of obesity because of the gradual shift in food choices and the increasing popularity of fast/junk foods as well as various other elements that are personal to each individual.

When discussing fitness and diet you have to be careful using animals as an example because we are not animals and we also make up sports and all sorts of activities/competitions to do for no real reason and animals don't so they can eat when they want and what they want without fear of it effecting their perfomance, so to the animal, what they eat is really not a factor in anything because to them they are simply eating.

Peace!

How do greens abuse your system?

food doesn't give energy, nor fuel, infact it takes away energy because it has to be digested, rest gives me more energy and fuel than anything I could eat.

What do you build muscle mass from then?

You can abuse your system by over eating/drinking anything!

You build muscle by using a little bit of everything for instants taking care of your emotional state and staying stress free and happy, consistant/intense progressive training, recovery and replacing nutrients, staying hydrated and repeating that cycle but no one thing such as food is responsible for muscle growth.

When discussing fitness and diet you have to be careful using animals as an example because we are not animals and we also make up sports and all sorts of activities/competitions to do for no real reason and animals don't so they can eat when they want and what they want without fear of it effecting their perfomance, so to the animal, what they eat is really not a factor in anything because to them they are simply eating.

We are animals. Many of us do play sports, yes, but to say that we can't compare us to animals because animals don't play sports is wrong, because animals DO play sports in a sense that they play the sport of life and the sport of surviving it.

Performance for an animal is everything, if it can't perform at peak level, then it risks being outperformed by other animals. This goes for surviving as well as mating and even social structure.

On the other hand, humans have surrounded themselves with an environment where they don't need to exert themselves at all to do anything. This in effect has an impact on people's entire lives including our food choices.

I'd be warry of any type of food which lacks our requirement to exert ourselves in order to recieve it. Anything which increases our passivity I would assume would increase our disease, and for a life of longevity, the materials required to perform must be acquired. If you aren't performing, then the body doesn't need as much, but expect your body to be at a level equal to the level of performance you're capable of. If you perform at a higher level, then expect a body conditioned at a higher level in relation to the quality of the materials being used.

You guys all make really good points and I am not saying that you are not right. I'm just saying that I believe that we are electro-chemical --- biological organisms that need fuel to operate properly. I mean more than just to look good. To be really healthy as well. There are a great many athletes that have been sick from an improper diet. Lance Armstrong was one of them. Contracting cancer is evidence of improper nutrition. Check out these sites if you like and let me know what you think ??? ------ www.gerson.org www.gersonmiracle.org

Cool...have a great time training, I've done my thinking for the day!!!

I think Lance got cancer from doing drugs not from his diet, hence his lack of honestly being able to deny taking drugs before he got cancer...he only denies taking them after up until now. As for animals playing sports...they don't quite do that but they do do things to prove they are the strongest...sometimes for power and sometimes for fun like we human animals do.

What makes those amino acids essential??? Just because we can't make these amino acids doesn't mean they are "essential". Essential should mean amino acids we need. Who says we need every amino acid known to man? This is a crazy idea. The fact that we can't make them means nothing. We can't make mercury either but do you need to consume it. We don't make bovine growth hormone but it would make us all stronger so it that essential?

Thats not completely true. It does not take 20 amino acids to make a protein...a true protein is different for every animal which is why cows can live just on grass. Does grass have all 20 amino acids...very doubtful. It has the ones a cow needs. Just because we know of that many doesn't mean you need all of them to be complete. A complete protein for a human was determined by what makes a rat grow the most...not a person. Its completely ludicrous since rats can live on pretty much anything and not change lifespan a bit. Those were the aminos that made them grow the largest(in terms of muscle) which doesn't mean they were the best. Animals in their own species that are relatively small(like say small dogs compared to large ones) tend to live longer than larger animals so who wants to be big anyhow. I can imagine lots of people in this forum do not eat the "correct" ratios of amino acids...maybe even most of us but I don't think any of us are gonna die short of what we would if we were eating steaks all the time.

Thats not completely true. It does not take 20 amino acids to make a protein...a true protein is different for every animal which is why cows can live just on grass. Does grass have all 20 amino acids...very doubtful. It has the ones a cow needs. Just because we know of that many doesn't mean you need all of them to be complete. A complete protein for a human was determined by what makes a rat grow the most...not a person. Its completely ludicrous since rats can live on pretty much anything and not change lifespan a bit. Those were the aminos that made them grow the largest(in terms of muscle) which doesn't mean they were the best. Animals in their own species that are relatively small(like say small dogs compared to large ones) tend to live longer than larger animals so who wants to be big anyhow. I can imagine lots of people in this forum do not eat the "correct" ratios of amino acids...maybe even most of us but I don't think any of us are gonna die short of what we would if we were eating steaks all the time.
I absolutely do not know what you are talking about and how it relates to my post ? ? ? ?