Sad State

Guest Jackhammerjoey

I'm sorry but meat doesn't really have more protein that veggies do. And the thing is we all know now that pretty much everyone in the moder world eats too much protein to begin with so if anything it would have hindered us in that sense. Nobody "needs" 1g per pounds of bodyweight and less than half of that will do for pretty much everyone.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Protein is not really more abundant in meat...find the protein in 8oz of meat and 8oz of beans...I think you'll find beans have less water and has more weight in actual protein...same with nuts. And the point I was making is that we don't need that much protein and we never did...not to advance and not to even simply survive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the brain was fueled by 100% carbohydrates

I believe you are correct. However, brain growth and development is not the same as fuelling just like body growth and development is not the same as fuelling.

Protein is not really more abundant in meat...find the protein in 8oz of meat and 8oz of beans...I think you'll find beans have less water and has more weight in actual protein...same with nuts.

I accept your point, but finding several pounds of beans and peanuts is (or at least was) obviously far more difficult than finding that amount of meat. Therefore we ate meat and fish far more than veggies.

What is the point that you're making Bradders? It seems like you're trying to provide reasons for why you personally are not vegan, and trying to say why other people should stop being vegan. If that's not the case, then are you saying that some people don't know as much about nutrition as they think they do? That's a fair point, but not limited to vegans or indeed all vegans, and what you're saying about what humans may or may not have eaten in the past is pretty irrelevant, unless I missed something. Vegans clearly live healthily right now, and are not all unintelligent, ill or dying. So to say that meat has got us where we are today doesn't change the fact that veganism is a logical and ethical choice today.

Sure we ate more but that doesn't prove we needed it beyond the fact that we needed food in general. That fact is a far stretch from proving our brains developed thanks to the extra meat. If anything meat allowed people to live longer since hunger wasn't an issue in the winter...meaning nobody would die of starvation...thus much more time to actually learn...not more of a capacity. Then that can be handed down. If we chose to do so we could teach gorillas sign language(of course we have already) and if we left them alone they would more than likely hand that down. A well treated gorilla in captivity will live longer than one in the wild and this gives it the ability to learn more without any meat at all. You let them out in the wild then they'll teach that to offspring and so on and so on...they will also very likely develop this even more themselves. This is very likely what we did...of course we weren't captive but our diets let us live where we shouldn't have been living and extended lifespan for longer lives.

This is a bit strong

No.....This is a bit strong

I hope that you do not

become sick from your lack of proper nutrition.

To be fair I just read through this thread .....he is not convinced.... the information he has been given - according to him - isn't cutting it.
It seems you read through the thread the same way Jack read the info he was given - maybe with a closed mind, maybe while watching TV.

I've been a science inthusiast for 24 years, but as I became wiser(less incredibly naive), I became disappointed in scientists. They need to see something in a beeker or they ignore it. They have closed minds, don't use common sense....and they're corrupt. There are still scientists who say the mind and body are NOT connected, and say a back ache is from a "slipped disc" and can't be from mental stress. Here, their education is actually getting in the way. Turns out, science is not reallity....it's just a way for us to understand reality. And it's limited.

And, science has been wrong SO many times.

To say that eating meat is an idea thought up by our 'twisted modern society' is just wrong.
I didn't mention meat. You read into what I said. So it seems you're looking for a debate on meat vs veg........on a vegan forum. Why?

In particular, eating fish and meat has helped develop our brains.

How do you know?

A few good points were brought up in this thread but some were missed or not fully discussed.

First, it's not necessarily meat that helped with human development (and population explosion). If that were the case then cows should be evolving to take over the world - I mean, they're herbivores and we've been feeding them animal protein for years. But seriously, it was the ability to establish a CONSISTENT supply of calories from agriculture and a way of storing that food for lean times (dried grains, legumes, etc) that allowed humanity to rise to the top of the food chain.

As far as seafood and brain development, that's not too far off. However, the discussion of omega 6 vs. omega 3 essential fatty acids (with EPA and DHA in the family of 3s) and the physiology behind them is too much of an important topic to be hidden in a thread like this. Briefly, as Zack pointed out, DHA is needed for human fetus and newborn brain (and eye) development. Babies need a direct source of DHA and get it in the form of breast milk. Later in life, they can form DHA from ALA (omega 3 fatty acid parent chain). Unless their ratio of omega 6 to 3 is way off - as it is for many omnis and even more vegans. That's why omnis who eat a lot of fish along with a whole foods diet tend to have less disease than the general population, including vegans. This is a very important topic, again, and I'll eventually try to start this discussion on another thread - but I'm swamped with work right now and don't want to start it until I have more time!