Why do you train martial arts?

damdaman

I started training mostly for self-defense purposes, but also for the physical fitness/strength aspect. I wanted to get into better shape, and martial artists always seemed to be in the best shape. I also wanted to learn how to properly and effectively defend myself, were the need to do so ever to arise.

I have to say that while these motivations remain, my thoughts on training have definitely changed and evolved. I can't really describe how or why, but I feel like my reasons for continuing to train have changed and evolved as well.

It's fun, it's challenging, and I feel like it's changing me, and not just in a physical sense.

So, why do you train martial arts?

• 2 weeks later...

I train because the motions within the gung fu system are natural to the human body and its functions. I also train because the comprehension I receive from tai chi gung fu is more profound and insightful than forms of life education employed by our education system. My question would be: HOw has martial arts made an impact in your life?

I'm gonna be honest I've always been a VERY VERY shy person. That's because I had cancer as a kid wich was located directly on my eye... They cut it away but cut way too much wich made me blind and stuck with a pretty f*cked up eye. ( i had 28 operations after that to make it look decent )

I had like a half iris and stuff, it look sallright now... BUT, it's always red. People bug(ged) me all the time, cal(led) me names and I always looked down and never spoke in public.

Than i saw group of choy lee fut kids in my area doing performances in the street. It was amazing and they were REALLY confident. they reflected intergrity and strength. And above all .. postivity...

I wanted to be like that. So I joined...

The first thing i learned was to ALWAYS look someone in the eyes. That was probably the hardest lesson I ever learned.

I got smacked in the face, kids knocked my teeth out.. but looking someone in the eyes was definitely the hardest thing ever.

After a while I got compliments about my progression and for the first time ever I felt in place and pretty happy about my self. I joined a gym to gain even more strength and this where we are now...

Take care,

KEV //