Favorite Vegan Beer/Wine?

pelicanAndrew

Yes I can't technically legally drink beer but I still do it because I think the drinking age should be 18. I'm more of a conscientious objector to the drinking age.

Anywho, what's your favorite vegan beer? So far my favorite beer I've had is Brother Thelonius's Belgian Style Abbey Ale(all proceeds go to jazz education!!!).

Another couple I love are Fin Du Monde and of course Samuel Smith's Oatmeal stout. I really want to try some Dogfish Head brewing companies beer and some more beer from the company who brews the Brother Thelonius beer.

Not a big wine guy personally but if anybody has anything I must try post away!

Belgian ales all the way for me. La Fin du Monde, as you mentioned, is a favorite, but otherwise I head for Piraat, Duvel, Chimay, Houblon, Hoegaarden (more of a Belgian white), La Chouffe, and most of everyone in the Ommegang brewery lineup is quite good as well. Their beer, Hennepin, is probably the best reasonably-priced Belgian-style ale that I've had in recent times - costs about 30% less than the imports, but the flavor is excellent. Also, the Flemish red ales can be pretty good, too - Duchesse De Bourgogne is one that I've had a few times and liked a lot. Flemish ales are a bit odd - they're somewhat sour, not quite a tart fruit sour but an interesting flavor. Good stuff.

I'm with Vegan Essentials,

The Belgium's certainly know how to make beer ( I think there are over 400 Belgium beers, many of which are Vegan)

For me Duval are Hoegaarden are the picks.

There are some great Australian Vegan beers available, if you ever get the chance to try them ( BTW NO ONE drinks Fosters here!!!!! )

Coopers (Pale Ale, Sparkling Ale), Little Creatures (Bright Ale is my choice) and Blue Tongue are good places to start.

The Belgium's certainly know how to make beer ( I think there are over 400 Belgium beers, many of which are Vegan)

There are some great Australian Vegan beers available, if you ever get the chance to try them ( BTW NO ONE drinks Fosters here!!!!! )

Coopers (Pale Ale, Sparkling Ale), Little Creatures (Bright Ale is my choice) and Blue Tongue are good places to start.

All Belgian beer is vegan(almost 100% positive on that). The only reason Stella Artois isn't is because it's bottled in england. They have actual beer laws that won't allow anything besides the grains, water and yeast in their beer.

I'm going to try a Duvel or Chimay this weekend. Not sure which one.

And it's a good thing nobody drinks fosters, it aint vegan.

All Belgian beer is vegan(almost 100% positive on that). The only reason Stella Artois isn't is because it's bottled in england. They have actual beer laws that won't allow anything besides the grains, water and yeast in their beer.

Yeah I knew Fosters wasn't vegan....

It also tastes like someone has already drunk it once or maybe even twice...

Thats not really true, I know we are the best in making beer:) but Isinglass is still used alot. I think the only beers from interbrew that are vegan are hoegaarden and something else I dont know.

Duvel is vegan aswell.

The best beer tho hands down is gueuze, the reall stuff tho, not with added sugar. If you can find(I highly doubt it tho) girardin defenetly try it!

(and give it some time, you have to get used to it)

This seems like a good site, some of the info is a couple of years old so it might have changed but it's still good.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geraint.bevan/Vegetarian_beers.html

i was kidding about liking rolling rock. it was just a test.

my favorite vegan beer is HeckenCinTiangerweiss (people in the know call it HeckCin - pronounced Hexen). it's so thick, you don't drink it, so much as eat it. it's also really horrible tasting. that's you know it's good.

HeckCin is pretty hard to find. it's crafted in tibet by a group of blind, eunuch, dwarf monks. since they don't use any commercial equipment, actually holding the wort in their mouths for the entire fermenting process, only five gallons are year are crafted.

since they craft so little of it, it's a really exclusive brew. to even be considered to be allowed to buy it, you have to show them your record collection (and i do mean 'record'. everything you own has to be on vinyl) and your stereo has to be analog - all vacuum tubes, no chips or transistors. you have to have bought it in a thrift store - ebay purchases are not accepted.

if any of the groups in your collection have sold out (i.e. make enough money from music that they've been able to quit their day jobs) you're immediately barred for life from every buying HeckCin again. you're also banned if the record inspecting monk has ever heard of more than three of the groups in your collection.

drinking heckcin is more of a lifestyle than a pastime, but it totally worth it to know you're drinking the most hipster rotten grain water on earth.

Samuel Smith's Organic Ale. Or Molson Ice, but I haven't had that recently because they don't market it in Houston.

Does anyone know if Lambic is vegan?

I believe some Lambics are. I tasted some of a raspberry one my friend had.

I had the Chimay Grande Reserve on Saturday. I'm going to have to do some more taste testing, but it may have beaten out Brother Thelonius as my favorite beer.

I think you actually mean kriek lambic or some other fruit beer made with lambic.

I doubt that you can get lambic in the us, lambic itself is a flat beer, yes flat - no bubbles. They take some young and old lambic, mix it and optionally add fruit. Then let it ferment. Without fruit it's called gueuze and with its called kriek or whatever.

(it says lambic on the bottle cause it's made from lambic, but it's not:)

It's made a bit like champagne, no yeast added, the fermentation comes from bacteria(the lambic is left in big shallow containers so the bacteria can get to it).

Most of the commercial gueuze, kriek or other fruitbeers made from lambic have added sugar. The "reall" ones are much better.

I don't think you can actually get lambic in bottles anywhere, very few pubs have it on tap(close to where it's brewed) and you can go and get it from the brewers(not in bottles, in a barrel) but there is no distribution.

Also like champagne it's protected, supposedly you can only brew it in one area in the world: the zennevallei . (in Belgium afcorse)

What kind's of stuff with lambic on the bottel do you get in the us?

I think you actually mean kriek lambic or some other fruit beer made with lambic.

I doubt that you can get lambic in the us, lambic itself is a flat beer, yes flat - no bubbles. They take some young and old lambic, mix it and optionally add fruit. Then let it ferment. Without fruit it's called gueuze and with its called kriek or whatever.

(it says lambic on the bottle cause it's made from lambic, but it's not:)

It's made a bit like champagne, no yeast added, the fermentation comes from bacteria(the lambic is left in big shallow containers so the bacteria can get to it).

Most of the commercial gueuze, kriek or other fruitbeers made from lambic have added sugar. The "reall" ones are much better.

I don't think you can actually get lambic in bottles anywhere, very few pubs have it on tap(close to where it's brewed) and you can go and get it from the brewers(not in bottles, in a barrel) but there is no distribution.

Also like champagne it's protected, supposedly you can only brew it in one area in the world: the zennevallei . (in Belgium afcorse)

What kind's of stuff with lambic on the bottel do you get in the us?

This was a imported Belgium Lambic I tried. Not a fakey fruitbeer.

Framboise Lambic is the name. Belgian Frambois Beer. Vlezenbeek, Belgium, Brouwerij Lideman's.

That's all the info on the bottle.

Yeah, lindemans is with added sugar. It's to sweet for me. Not that I drink much beer but lindemans tastes like candy to me and I don't like beer to taste like candy.

The difference is huge tho, the reall stuff taste quite bitter and you really have to get used to it but it's really good.

But any bottle with lambic on it is not actually lambic but made with lambic.