Raw Food Budget, whats yours?

dontxhide

Being that eating raw foods seem much more expensive to me that being vegan, how much do you guys spend on your raw foods a week? I try to eat 100 percent raw, and when I do I use about 200 dollars a week on food. I try to lower this amount, and am the middle of doing a raw diet switch to cheaper, more filling high calorie foods. But its hard.

How much do you spend?

When I was eating raw last summer I spend only about $8-10 a day. If you don't try to get all glitsy with that not so "raw" designer raw foods it can be much cheaper. Sprouting makes it very easy to get lots of food down for not so much money.

I grow and forage for a lot of my stuff-tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuces, zucchini, peppers etc.. I've got two freezers full of blueberries, blackberries, wild cherries, bunchberries, crabapples, strawberries etc. which I will blend with greens to pour over bananas all winter long. I also buy organic stuff from a neighbour. I try to buy only organic, but it's not always possible. This summer I've been feeding 6 family members-4 humans and two dogs who eat exactly what we do. I've spent about $150 per week. In the winter it'll be more expensive however.

• 2 months later...

Mine's about $150 a week - summertime a little less due to farmers markets - Oct thru May it's mostly Whole Foods. I've about 75% raw since April & lost 30 pounds - had been vegan prior to that for 5 years and vegetarian for 20 years. I just ran my first full marathon, have studied martial arts for 6 years, and spend some time in the gym lifting & on the treadmill - sometimes yoga - also a dancer. People at work are amazed at how much I eat, and I'm amazed at how little they eat. I have my huge banana-based green smoothie w/ cacao & gogi berries every morning with my avocado, basil, garlic, tomato, jalapeno pepper, celtic salt, and olive oil Ezekiel sprouted grain tortilla, my gigantic green salad with seeds & nuts & fruit-like vegetables dressed with Brendan Brazier's new oil concoction and Bragg's apple cider vinegar - half an avocado, and my gargantuon fruit salad with coconut & nuts - probably too much fat, but a vast improvement over what I used to eat when I was a 40% raw vegan with fried potatoes and Tings (like Pirate's Booty) and other processed carbs being one of my main staple food groups. Yes, somehow I spend more now - possibly due to the superfoods and my increasing insistence on buying organic.

- Sue