300 - Spartan Workout?

The workouts are okay, but don't expect miracles. The guys in the movie look good because

- they got CGI makeup

- the lighting is everythin for looking good, and there is no better lighting than at a movie set

- you can bet your asses that they don't prepare naturally for a multi-million dollar movie.

Train hard and aim to increase your strength and athletic abilities, eat a lot if you want to gain, and diet if you want to cut. No miracles.

The workouts are okay, but don't expect miracles. The guys in the movie look good because

- they got CGI makeup

- the lighting is everythin for looking good, and there is no better lighting than at a movie set

- you can bet your asses that they don't prepare naturally for a multi-million dollar movie.

And on top of that they also have the help of proffesional trainers, dieticians and cooks.

Read the whole website at www.gymjones.com about the 300 training and Mark Twights opinions on the naysayers. Especially this link, this answers all the doubters.

http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=36

He actually argued every argument you gave.

This gym is here in Utah where I live, and my old ma instructor was a student of this gym. They are purely about hard work. I have patterend most my workouts from them, and have seen the increase in strength and size that I never felt with any other workout.

Mark Twight gets very angry when people say the work they did for 300 was cgi and not natural. He said the only thing not natural about these guys, were their work ethic.

• 8 months later...
Read the whole website at www.gymjones.com about the 300 training and Mark Twights opinions on the naysayers. Especially this link, this answers all the doubters.

This gym is here in Utah where I live, and my old ma instructor was a student of this gym. They are purely about hard work. I have patterend most my workouts from them, and have seen the increase in strength and size that I never felt with any other workout.

Mark Twight gets very angry when people say the work they did for 300 was cgi and not natural. He said the only thing not natural about these guys, were their work ethic.

Do share those with us.

Just go to the website, and look around the year they trained there, about 2005. Here is the fabled "300" strength test they had most of the actors do: http://www.gymjones.com/schedule.php?date=20051213.

If you go to gymjones.com and click on schedule, head back to 2005, or wherever actually, they have gut churning and muscle destroying workouts. SOme to give your strength, others to give you muscle endurance. The reason I gained some weight on em was because it was a different workout style I wasnt used, but by the time I did almost 3 full months of these workouts, I did loose bit of weight, and probably muscle, but I could dead lift much much more than I ever could, and looked more define than ever. I felt strong.

Im not saying this is the end all be all workout program, if you click on the link that says "knowledge" and read through all those writings, they even say their style is the JKD of martial arts, is not for everyone, and their job if they let you train there, isnt to get you "swol". Take everything away that doesnt work for the individual, including exercises that many can consider staples, so you have something you can push yourself towards the extreme, so you can become stronger in the sport you are in, and so you can refine your soul, toughen your spirit to throw up inducing workouts.

Maybe I was just out of shape at the time, but some of these workouts actually made me throw up once or twice. THey have YEARS worth of these workouts.

How does this work? Do you complete an exercise then move on? For example: 25 pullups then 50 deads then 50 pushups, etc.?

Or do you do: 5 pullups - 10 deads - 10 pushups, etc. for 5 sets?

I just did the following:

5x10 jumping jacks

5x10 burpees

5x10 pushups

5x10 db rows

then

5x10 clean and press

5x10 box jumps

5x10 floor wipers

This is the best/most exhausted I've felt after a workout. I think I'm going to modify my routine. Do 2 days weights, and 2 days something like the above workout.

but I could dead lift much much more than I ever could, and looked more define than ever. I felt strong.

Thats what im going for - more strength. I have a really small/scrawny frame, and I would like to gain strength rather than be big, and bulky. Thanks for the heads up.

25x Pull-ups + 50x Deadlift @ 135# + 50x Push-up + 50x Box Jump @ 24" box + 50x Floor Wiper @ 135# + 50x KB Clean & Press @ 36# KB + 25x Pull-ups

No rest between movements. Do the 25 pullups, then onto dead lifts, then the rest. This isnt something you should do everyday, this was basically a "test" after months of brutal workouts to see if they were in great as shape as they thought they were. Many of the cast couldnt complete it and laid on the floor for a while before they could even attempt to get up.

Most of their workouts arent like that, but are still brutal. I usually tried to do the circuits, or the strength exercises on the schedules, and defined them to what works for me.

I'm not one to cry "juiced" at everyone who makes good results, but truthfully, steroid use in the movie biz is a prevalent thing, and if getting the part based on your appearance and results is what gets you the job, there are a LOT of people who will go that route to ensure that they do what needs to be done. That, and while the people who run the program may say that everyone was natural, only a test would prove it for sure. Again, not claiming that those guys were doing anything illegal to enhance their results, but any time that someone has a concept/product/service to sell, take their claims of the wonder of said thing with a grain of salt for being 100% on the mark.

Not that these guys made progress that was downright miraculous (they definitely did well, but nothing that someone who dedicated themselves 100% to training all-out and eating 100% clean could not obtain), but it was definitely good compared to the results that most people get. Comparing photos, guy #1 definitely lost a decent amount of fat, but there's no discernable change in muscle size, and based on some of their workouts, I'd venture that he likely only got stronger if he came into the program after a layoff from any sort of weight training. Guy 2 was in great shape to begin with, and seems to have that "illusion of size" that comes with getting leaner (increased definition makes one look bigger even if weight is lost), so while he did lean up, he had an excellent base to begin with. Guy #3 doesn't even show a "before" pic, so we can't even tell where he started out. I would venture to say that it's something good if you want to go a different route to lean up, but for size or strength, those kind of workouts will get you about as far as you're going to get with taking a long run in hopes of increasing your bench press Good for pushing the body for fat loss, excellent for increasing your endurance, bad for bulking or working to get significantly stronger.

Not knocking the system, it's probably quite good for people who are concerned with changing their appearance to lose fat, but for goals of getting significantly larger and/or stronger, it's about the last type of training you'd want to go for.

• 5 months later...
Read the whole website at http://www.gymjones.com about the 300 training and Mark Twights opinions on the naysayers. Especially this link, this answers all the doubters.

Do share your workouts please.