Getting strenght back

aab1

Hi, I'm new to this forum. About 4-5 years ago, while still on a SAD diet, I started working out regularly like crazy and packed at least 22 pounds of muscle in about 6 months, increasing my weight to 165 pounds (can't tell you from what as I didn't weigh myself before, and it's my doctor that told me I put on 22 pounds of muscle, and before you guys tell me, I know conventional doctors are quacks, but I didn't know back then).

I then stopped working out ever since, and attempted to try to start again a few times without ever starting regularly again. My weight reached a maximum of 172, that added 7 pounds were of course fat since I wasn't working out, but I was never fat or anywhere close to it, at my worst I had a very small belly.

Now a few months over a year ago, I went raw vegan, my weight rapidly fell to around 135 pounds and has pretty much stayed stable at that since then. I then tried working out again and was terrified to see my bench press go from about 165 to 135 pounds. I used to be very muscular when I was working out, nearly everyone commented me on it, so I'm not too happy about loosing that. This motivated me to start working out regularly again, that was about 2-3 days ago and I'm addicted to lifting weights again, today is my rest day and I had to force myself not to go work out, each time I go in the basement where my bench press is, even if I'm going for another reason, I'm always fataly attracted to the bench press and work out a bit, even if I was just going to put clothes in the dryer or something. I'm glad I got the addiction back and hope it lasts, but when I saw what I now bench press I solidly pounded into my head "I will workout every 2 days for the rest of my life".

I was really discouraged to see my bench press fall so much, but to my great surprise, as I tried squatting, bicep curls, etc, I was as strong as I ever was, I don't seem to have lost any strenght at all in those muscles. This was a huge encouragement, as I was assuming my entire body had suffered the strenght loss.

My theory as to why only my bench went down is that in my every day life I pretty much use every muscle except the pecs/bench muscles so they all stayed in shape except those. Does this make sense? I see no other explanation. I'd also like to mention my strenght had remained the same even after 4 years not working out, it's the raw vegan diet that seems to have sucked it out of me (but only my bench strenght).

So my questions are:

-Why did my muscles stay intact for 4 years with no workout whatsoever?

-Why did only my bench press suffer, does my theory sound right?

And finally, I obviously want to get my bench back to the 165 I used to lift and exceed it. Are there certain foods I should be eating to optimize packing on muscle?

I have a lot of smoothies, sometimes for a few days I'll "eat" nothing but smoothies. What I put in them is:

-1 banana

-Fruits of choice (berries, pineapple, mango)

-Freshly pressed raw orange juice and/or water

-Hemp protein powder

-Macadamia nut butter

-Coconut oil

-Maca

-Chia seeds (flax are an alternative and what I used before)

-Sometimes I put mesquite and/or spirulina

-1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground stevia leaf powder to sweeten (the green natural powder, not the refined white one)

-Sea salt

These smoothies are very rich and filling, I sometimes make them so thick I gag trying to drink them, but I've started to get the right solid:liquid ratio for a good consistency, plus I'd rather drink 2 drinkable ones than one so thick I gag with every "sip" or mouthfull. So is there anything I should change to my smoothie recipe?

I also have HUGE glasses so I can easily consume 700-800 calories in one glass, in 4-6 glasses I can consume 3000-4000 calories. The glasses also allow me to drink my 8 glasses of water with only 3 or 4 of my big ones.

I also read of some saying watermelon promotes muscle building, this seems illogical to me as watermelon is mostly water, so how does it promote muscle building?

Thanks

I think the reason you gave for why you dropped in bench is correct...plus you lost a lot of weight so you should expect to lose some strength. You'll be back on no time though. As for watermelon being good for bulking I think it helps you with recovery more than anything...which helps you lift harder...which helps you grow more.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow your story is almost identical to mine, down to the weight and everything. The only difference being that I went from benching 205 to now 160 or so. I feel your frustration.

I was only off of working out for a year or so - so I believe I lost quite a bit of muscle mass in that year. I went from weighing 160 to my current weight of 134. I know I lost a little body fat, but for the most part it was muscle mass.

And just like you, I seem to be just about as strong in every other lift, just not the bench press, which I don't really understand.

I too just started lifting and I'm trying to pack on some pounds. Not too much though. I don't want to look bulky, just slightly over average mass - and cut... You know - the Mario Lopez look...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/jpandbp/mariolopez9260741.jpg

I'm not gay, but man that is one good lookin' body... (somehow I don't think my body will ever look that good, but I'm tryin'...)

Bigbwii you did that on all raw foods? Would you share some pictures of yourself after the cleansing process, when you lost the "false muscle" and were skinny? Looks good now, but I want to see what it was like after you stopped cooked food and lost that muscle, before you gained your raw muscle.

Bigbwii you did that on all raw foods? Would you share some pictures of yourself after the cleansing process, when you lost the "false muscle" and were skinny? Looks good now, but I want to see what it was like after you stopped cooked food and lost that muscle, before you gained your raw muscle.

Yes sir all on fruits.....but we've already discussed this and why on earth do you want to see a skinny pic, your kinda spooking me out man, nobody likes to be under the microscope like that man, least of all me....maybe if I can find a pic and can be bothered to post it, I will....on second thoughts you can just look at my current pics and imaging me 20lbs lighter and be happy with that!

I just want to see the proof, I don't think you're being honest about where your mass came from. I know you've done cooked foods in the past and I believe that's where the muscle you've got comes from. I haven't seen pictures from where you've gained any mass off fruit...

I just want to see the proof, I don't think you're being honest about where your mass came from. I know you've done cooked foods in the past and I believe that's where the muscle you've got comes from. I haven't seen pictures from where you've gained any mass off fruit...

Hey man that's cool, please yourself, I've got nothing to prove to you at all or anybody else for that matter, I've shared my journey and shown pics in the past but that gets pretty boring after a while and I'm sure as heck not going to do it on demand like that...."muscle mass" what "muscle mass" infact that's a big compliment to Fruitarianism because I don't think I really have any kind of "muscle mass" at all as that is not my goal and is not what I'm training for, so thankyou!

So I tell you what just imagine that I'm eating a bucket load of cooked food and working out with weights or what ever and lay it to rest....that way you can stop asking me stupid questions because you you want to give the credit to cooked food when everybody that knows the raw lifestyle knows that you cannot sustain the size you were on cooked food because you lose it while cleansing/transitioning on a 100% raw diet, especially on fruits.....until you've done cleansing then the rest is down to your training

Well at least you've made me laugh today!!!

Thanks man.

not to be rude or anything, but for someone who wants to represent the raw food / fruitarian life, I find your defense awkward and evasive. One who puts themselves in the spotlight as a person of experience should be mind enough to expect such inquiries from those on the outside.

Personally, it would seem to me easier to just post a pic than to try and explain why it would be too much work and a hassle. But hey, that is your decision and I respect it.

So I tell you what just imagine that I'm eating a bucket load of cooked food and working out with weights or what ever and lay it to rest....that way you can stop asking me stupid questions because you you want to give the credit to cooked food when everybody that knows the raw lifestyle knows that you cannot sustain the size you were on cooked food because you lose it while cleansing/transitioning on a 100% raw diet, especially on fruits.....until you've done cleansing then the rest is down to your training

You seem fairly confident, just back it up and prove it. You have never in the time I've been here showed the stage of transitioning before you gained your "raw muscle" and after you lost your "cooked muscle."

You seem fairly confident, just back it up and prove it. You have never in the time I've been here showed the stage of transitioning before you gained your "raw muscle" and after you lost your "cooked muscle."

Yes sir I'm very confident because I've lived it and am living it, I've experienced the raw/fruitarian lifestyle for myself so I have absolutely nothing to prove to you or anybody, this is funny because you don't care that I'm in great shape, you'd rather dwell on what you think is the easiest way to find fault, well you keep on finding fault my friend because I can find more fault with the lifestyle I was living before which is why I'm very content with where I am and I'm having a blast with my training.....I gotta say though that you have a way about you that causes me to shut down and draw away, I don't like your spirit, especially now after reading the post in the general discussion section about the forum and the raw section, Robert has trusted you enough to make you a moderator and you go and post that, you seem to have an agenda it may just be me you have a beef with but either way, I'm just picking up on it, so like I say take all your thoughts about me, believe them to be true and run with it, that way you won't have to question me or ask me to prove anything like some immature kid, people that know me, know that I've shared every step of my journey through out the years and those times have past and I only look onwards and upwards so do and think what you like.

Be good!

Edited by Bigbwii

not to be rude or anything, but for someone who wants to represent the raw food / fruitarian life, I find your defense awkward and evasive. One who puts themselves in the spotlight as a person of experience should be mind enough to expect such inquiries from those on the outside.

Personally, it would seem to me easier to just post a pic than to try and explain why it would be too much work and a hassle. But hey, that is your decision and I respect it.

That's cool too, you can take it anyway you like as long as your happy with it!!!

I don't put myself in the spot light at all, anybody that knows me knows how I feel about repping the raw lifestyle, nobody can rep the raw lifestyle because it's too personal, all I or anybody can do is rep themselves and share their own experience ands that exactly what I do, I just share a lot and I always have done, they would also know that I'm more about repping the fitness than raw foods, anyway I've got nothing to prove at all, I've done all that sharing/proving stuff in the past and feel no need to go back and do it again....it gets boring...simple as that....

Be good!

I'm not abusing moderator privileges by questioning things. You provide no proof for your claims, most people here do. I think the information you give is dangerous to people's health. I don't believe you're being honest about your gains, and if you won't show that you are, then stop making false claims, it is hazardous to other people's health and the health of this forum. Anytime someone questions you or your methods, you back off, or give some vague response, but never any valid proof.

I am not against the raw lifestyle, but I AM against misinformation and false claims.

Also, the thread in General discussion was not just my idea, several others including Josh and DV, It is a concern of a lot of ours, and I won't hesitate to be the one to start the discussion, even if it means losing mod status, which I have not abused in any way thus far.

I'm not abusing moderator privileges by questioning things. You provide no proof for your claims, most people here do. I think the information you give is dangerous to people's health. I don't believe you're being honest about your gains, and if you won't show that you are, then stop making false claims, it is hazardous to other people's health and the health of this forum. Anytime someone questions you or your methods, you back off, or give some vague response, but never any valid proof.

I am not against the raw lifestyle, but I AM against misinformation and false claims.

Also, the thread in General discussion was not just my idea, several others including Josh and DV, It is a concern of a lot of ours, and I won't hesitate to be the one to start the discussion, even if it means losing mod status, which I have not abused in any way thus far.

Good for you.... as far as the doubting and naysaying...take a ticket and get to the back of the line

I'm glad this topic came up!

I too am always curious about how much someone has changed their physical appearance due to dietary changes. Of course, I would also love to see their chemical/physiological lab changes as well.

I'm currently ramping up to add some serious muscle mass as a vegan and I am keeping a somewhat haphazard photo journal. I look forward to showing people who ask about a vegan diet that we get plenty of protein, thank you.

Just as they're curious, I am also curious about how much mass a fruitarian can add on that diet. I've seen pictures of Bigbwii as an omni and then as a fruitarian and thought, okay so he's lost some fat and muscle and leaned out as a fruitarian - which I would expect. I didn't realize that he lost a significant amount of muscle (was it 20 pounds?) and then added it back on fruit only. I must admit, I would love to see those before and after pictures! Similar to Robert's before and after pictures as a skinny new vegan to a bodybuilder, that would be very inspirational to someone who is leaning towards a fruitarian diet.

I'm glad this topic came up!

I too am always curious about how much someone has changed their physical appearance due to dietary changes. Of course, I would also love to see their chemical/physiological lab changes as well.

I'm currently ramping up to add some serious muscle mass as a vegan and I am keeping a somewhat haphazard photo journal. I look forward to showing people who ask about a vegan diet that we get plenty of protein, thank you.

Just as they're curious, I am also curious about how much mass a fruitarian can add on that diet. I've seen pictures of Bigbwii as an omni and then as a fruitarian and thought, okay so he's lost some fat and muscle and leaned out as a fruitarian - which I would expect. I didn't realize that he lost a significant amount of muscle (was it 20 pounds?) and then added it back on fruit only. I must admit, I would love to see those before and after pictures! Similar to Robert's before and after pictures as a skinny new vegan to a bodybuilder, that would be very inspirational to someone who is leaning towards a fruitarian diet.

Yeah, I'm actually working on getting that done but in a more presentable fashion, and not just crusty pics of me in my bathroom like I used do, I hate those pics now and it's generally something I don't like to deal with because it takes up too much of my time but I will if it will be helpful, to tell you the truth, it's something I should of done a long time ago but didn't feel the need to, I'm not sure if it would help people to see, but it would satisfy some of the more analytical peoples curiousity I guess, or maybe not, also I wouldn't advice people to be so analytical because none of us really know how our individual process is going to pan out, because everyone is different, for instants I lost about 50-60lbs then got back 10-20lbs, the same thing may not happen to you in the same way.

By the way I didn't lose muscle, that's a huge miss-conception that when you go raw you lose "muscle" just because you lose weight doesn't mean you lose muscle and you'd be amazed at how naturally small we really are once we lose the excess water, fecal waste and fats, the weight I lost consisted of fecal waste and old food debris, excess water and fat, that is a fact and I didn't gain that wieght back by working out, that weight came back all by itself after I had cleaned out enough and was not muscle per se, that is a fact....also building muscle on the raw lifestyle is not the same as it is on cooked food, therefore expectations need to be changed accordingly, the rest is history, since then I've kept the same weight and train everday, I'm not training for muscle mass, I'm training for over all fitness and because I love doing it!

I'll probably post a new before and after pic on my new site when it's done, see what you get when you ask nicely.....

F1

I've seen Bigbwii's/TheFruitarian's posts on other forums since at least a year and I highly doubt he'd be lying about anything. To say he's definately lying when you yourself have no proof either is quite disrespectful.

Bigbwii, can you explain what you mean by:

"building muscle on the raw lifestyle is not the same as it is on cooked food, therefore expectations need to be changed accordingly"

Check this out, these are my own articles!

You can read other articles too, hope it helps buddy!

http://www.realgainz.com/Fruitarianarticle2

WARNING: If your easily offended by Fruitarian opinions...DO NOT READ!!!