Hello!

klutch

Hello, everyone!

I have been vegan for a little over a year and was vegetarian for about a year before that. My diet probably is not even close to what it should be; right now I mainly subsist off of tofurky sandwiches a frozen stuff from Trader Joe's. I am looking forward to reading what other people eat so I can help bring my diet in line.

The reason why I am here is because I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu(BJJ) and I am one of the smaller guys at my gym. In BJJ, most techniques do not rely on physical strength, but when skill levels are close strength does give an extra edge. Anyways I was wrestling with a guy whom I had never really talked to before and after we finished, he looked at me and asked if I was vegetarian. The fact that it was so obvious to him made me feel ashamed because it made me feel like a poor representative of vegan-kind. Anyways he told me that he had met some vegan bodybuilder at a store one day and said he was super impressed by the guy's physique. He told me the guy ran a website and I should look it up online.

Currently I train BJJ 3-4 times a week but I am looking to supplement that with other exercise to help encourage muscle development.

I am 5'10" and I used to weigh around 250 pounds. A few months before I went vegetarian, I started watching the amount of food I ate and then weight started falling off. I am down to 160 pounds, but now my body looks quite ridiculous; I have super scrawny arms and legs and still have a little bit of flab on my stomach that looks pretty bad because of how loose my skin is. Anyways, I am looking to finally have a positive image of my body.

I looked around the forums a bit before joining and noticed there are a lot of Portland people here! I have only been in Portland for 10 months and love being in such a vegan friendly city.

I guess I will leave you guys with one more personal story. My older brother has been vegan\vegetarian for a long time. When we were both in high school I used to give him a hard time about being a vegetarian. It wasn't until several years later that I actually made an effort to understand his motivations. I asked myself "If I had to kill everything I ate with my own hands, would I still eat meat?" I thought about it a little and decided no, I couldn't do it. I no longer wanted someone spilling blood for my sake, and became vegetarian afterwards. To me it just illustrates how it is much easier to mock people than it is to understand them. A lot times to truly understand another person, you have to examine yourself.

Hope I didn't ramble too much.

-Drew

Hey, welcome to our group! Great to see another person from Portland. You're right, there are a bunch of us here from PDX, probably around 40 members.

We have other BJJ vegans from Oregon on here as well, including a buddy of mine who used to train at the same gym you train at.

Thanks for finding our forum and for joining. We do a lot of regional gatherings here in Portland so keep an eye out for those and come hang out with us!

All the best and welcome aboard!