Protein requirement when working out?

aab1

If your raw don't worry about protien, just worry about your workouts!!!

That's just living the raw lifestyle by cooked food standards of nutrition.

Protien is for suckers!!!

Plus you need to give people more information in your post so they actually know where your coming from, for instance, are you raw, doing want to go raw, or are you just posting in the wrong sections?

Plus you need to give people more information in your post so they actually know where your coming from, for instance, are you raw, doing want to go raw, or are you just posting in the wrong sections?

As I said, excess protein, raw or not, causes cancer and heart disease (which kill over 1.2 million americains a year). I'm eating raw to be healthy, if I have excess protein I need to know so I lower my protein intake. Is my high protein intake ok considering I workout or do I need to stay around 35g/day in any case to prevent cancer/heart disease?

By the way I've been 90% raw for over a year.

Thanks

As I said, excess protein, raw or not, causes cancer and heart disease (which kill over 1.2 million americains a year). I'm eating raw to be healthy, if I have excess protein I need to know so I lower my protein intake. Is my high protein intake ok considering I workout or do I need to stay around 35g/day in any case to prevent cancer/heart disease?

By the way I've been 90% raw for over a year.

Thanks

As I said...."Protien is for suckers!!!" (juss kidding)

I think your answering your own question here!

Here's a question for you....if your so sure this 35g of protien a day is correct and that exess protien causes cancer, etc why are you still taking in 60g/70g a day and how will working out suddenly make it healthy and why you so worried about protien?

Sounds to me like your using raw foods as a diet instead of a lifestyle, raw food isn't like cooked food where you can manipulate food to get certain results, size, weight, it's a lifestyle that covers your mental and physical side....plus depending on what that 10% is that your eating you still have much cleaning and many changes to go through.

My advice to you is to look through this section very carefully and look for posts on raw nutrition, I know that Flanders posted a decent site on the raw lifestyle....the site was called rawfoodexplained.com I think, then do some more research, also experiment and find what works for you

Anyway I'm done coz your reminding me of bikerdave!

Good luck

P.s. by the way what country are you from?

I'm still taking a lot of protein because I'm not sure if I need more when working out. The reason I suppose you need more protein is that you DO need more calories if you workout right? Does that mean increasing calories without increasing protein? Or increasing both relatively?

I'm not using raw food as a diet, I have no intention on stopping raw food until I die. My other 10% can be:

-Pasta

-Baked/boiled potatoes

-Sometimes, but very, very, very rarely (as in maybe 4-6 times a year) because I know how toxic it is, whole wheat organic bread

I'm from Canada.

I'm still taking a lot of protein because I'm not sure if I need more when working out. The reason I suppose you need more protein is that you DO need more calories if you workout right? Does that mean increasing calories without increasing protein? Or increasing both relatively?

I'm not using raw food as a diet, I have no intention on stopping raw food until I die. My other 10% can be:

-Pasta

-Baked/boiled potatoes

-Sometimes, but very, very, very rarely (as in maybe 4-6 times a year) because I know how toxic it is, whole wheat organic bread

I'm from Canada.

Cool...don't worry about protien, worry about your workouts, I eat very, very little and I do fantastic!

I know for a fact that the little "amino acids" I get from fruits more than gets the job done!!!

You can check out my videos/photo's, etc....

The same rules for cooked food nutrition don't apply when you go raw infact you may find that it's that 10% that is holding you back from progressing!

Take care!

You really only need so much protein to build the muscles...carbs is what you really need to keep working the muscle and a reasonable amount of protein to repair them. Increasing carbs is more than adequate since the only way you can do that without getting amino acids is by eating sugar.

You really only need so much protein to build the muscles...carbs is what you really need to keep working the muscle and a reasonable amount of protein to repair them. Increasing carbs is more than adequate since the only way you can do that without getting amino acids is by eating sugar.

Exactly, this is the best piece of advice that I wish people would follow. If you want to up something, don't up your proportions, up your entire intake.

As I said, excess protein, raw or not, causes cancer and heart disease (which kill over 1.2 million americains a year).

I don't really know if excess protein is what can be blamed here. There are a LOT of people who consume high protein diets and don't get cancer or heart disease - if that were the case, bodybuilders all over the world would be dropping dead daily from their high protein intake. Now, if we're taking about the SOURCES of protein that people take in, a lot more can be concluded about what is truly damaging - for example, it's illogical to compare taking in 100g of rice protein to that of taking in the same amount of protein from meat sources as they're very different creatures.

Personally, I think super-high protein diets are overrated, but when I train, I still take in around .6 - .7g per lb. of bodyweight along with adequate carbohydrates for recovery and it seems to do the trick. I never saw better results with taking in 1g/lb of bodyweight or more, so unless you're someone who responds to high protein intake exceptionally well, there's little need to go all-out on it. I do know that for me, taking in 70g is what I get if I don't even try to add any extra protein to my diet, and 35g would mean that I'd have to be starving myself - that's a pretty low number to be taking in if you're going to be weight training, but who knows, maybe it'll work for you. Everyone's different in that way.

Zack,

Right now I'm coming in around 265 lbs. as of the start of the week - still on the lighter side for me, and I expect to go down a bit more after next week's post-surgery layoff for 2 weeks. I probably take in 80-100g of protein per day just from regular food, and on training days I'll add in 40-80g more of protein spread out over the night (usually some post-training and another dose at bedtime). I used to fall into that camp where I thought I needed 300g or more of protein per day, but since it never helped, I don't see a need in forcing it down. Some guys swear by taking in a huge amount, but I know that I just don't need it, so I stick with what works, not to mention it's a lot easier than choking down another 3-4 shakes per day!

Your build is pretty much proof enough. I don't really count protein, but I do pay attention to it. I'm somewhere between 1g/kg and 1g/pound. I've gained 6 or so pounds in a month, and increased many of my compound lifts as much as 30 pounds, so it seems to be working well for me.

Normally yes, but that's the benefit of owning a vegan shop - supplement companies like to get you to promote their stuff and tend to give plenty of free goodies for us to use so we'll "spread the word". That, and when a protein container gets damaged in transit and returnd to us (which happens a few times per year), you know who it goes to since I can't stand to see it get thrown away It certainly makes it easier on the wallet - I shudder thinking about the old pre-vegan days when I'd spend $200/month on supplements and never see a return in strength or size

Ryan,

When you were first putting on mass, did you consume the same amount of protein as you do now (when I assume you're just maintaining at this point)? I'm a slow builder and I was as an omni, despite the amount of protein I consumed. However, I've read occasionally that vegan builders should consume more protein than omnis or, at least, make it in the form of mostly bio-available protein such as soy. Your thoughts?

Thanks!