HSOrlandos 2013 Journal: Being vegan in a non vegan world

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't had access to the internet, so that's my excuse for not updating this for a while. My computer issues should be resolved this morning, but if there's no solution except buying a new computer, or upgrading, I'll just not be online that much. Had a terrible week last week with my working out. I missed too many days, mainly because I wasn't feeling that terrific! But I feel good this week, and I've written down everything I want to do this week, so I hope that means I'll stick to it. Gotta go, more later!

Ok, For the time being I am back online. But the connection is super slow, and keeps freezing my computer. The past month has been kind of bad for me as far as getting in all my workouts. The last two weeks especially I've just been really slacking off in the gym department. Anyway this week though I am back at it. And the musle soreness feels so good too.

Monday I used an elyptical for halfan hour, then did legs. I didn't go too heavy, and it was funny because I ended up just using a leg press that a guy had been on, and it was only 180 pounds. I did three sets, and I could have done a lot more. Everything else was also three sets, except for prone leg curls I did four sets of those because I got interrupted.

Tuesday I didn't train, I went to eat at Etho's Vegan Kitchen instead, because I was starving,and hadn't been there in over a month. Then I went to a support group I sometimes volunteeer at, and I got a lot of compliments on how I look.I haven''t been too any of the meetings in like 7 months.

Wednesday I was quite tired, but I made myself take two classes, Cardio Jump, and Body Pump. BP was so hard, and it was great taking this instructors class again. And as usual cardio jump was extremely difficult as cardio isn''t always fun, and I suck at jumping! It was intersting though as I''ve been working with the person who now teaches the class, and she has shown quite an interest in my vegan diet.

My back is super sore today, but in a good way. I'm not sure what class madeit more sore. Today I did a quick warmup, then a quick chest workout.I did four sets of incline bench presses, regular bench presses, flys, and then three sets on the pec deck. Then I ran for two miles. I have definitely not been consisitent this past month with running, but I hope I can get back to it quickly. I got back and I casually mantioned, because I was asked how far I ran. Anyway I didn't think it was a very good run, but I was told that any run in this heat is good, so I don't know maybe it is? Tomorrow I might do another Body Pump class, but that's all, and Saturday I plan on just running.

Glad that you're back at it consistently!

I had a week off for a family reunion and will be in Yellowstone Park next week (another week without lifting!) so I know what you're experiencing. You'll bounce back quickly!

Thanks DV!

Today I did a Body Pump class.My back was still a bit sore, but I kept my trgular weight on the barbell(30lbs), which I may need to increase soon. Squats felt good, oh the burn, lol. I really want to increase the weight to 50lbs, I'm just hesitant about lifting that overhead, I don't want to crush my skull. Anyway itfelt good to be doing another BP class, and I also did two other weight training sessions this week,so I think I'm getting back on track.

Tomorrow I'm going to go for a run, and I hope it'll be a long one! Then I get to have my picture taken,(staff pictures), and then we have a meeting. I'm not looking for them, but I keep getting some very nice compliments on my progress at the gym, and some of it is from some of the trainers too! So I must be doing something right.

I feel like I'm over my slump,because I'm really excited about making more progress, and getting back to my intense schedule.

Today I ran, but only for 3.5 miles. I felt bad about the short distance, untilI spoke to a guy that had been running, and he also only did 3.5 miles, because of the heat.

Earlier this week I treated myself to a smoothie at Tropical Smoothie, they rent out space at the Y. Anyway I was quite interested, shocked, and amazed that not only do they have whey protein, soy protein, and creatine, but they also have spirulina. I may have to start adding that to my smoothies for some extra benefits.

Everything is going quite well right now. I think I'm finally getting some better nutrition, because I can finally afford better foods as my brother is now working. Tomorrow I work all day, so that will be my rest day. On Monday I work from 6:45-11am, so I'm taking a cardio dance class at 11am. This is a brand new class, and sounded like fun. Then I get to work for another hour and get some training for fit linxx, finally!

I'm not doing the AFAA training seminar in September, instead I'll be taking the ISCA two day seminar that will be taught at my YMCA this October. I'm quite excited about this, and I think I'll end up learning more, as I already work with the person that will teach the course. Everything at my job is going great, I just need to build some more confidence and I'll be all set!

I just realized how funny it must sound that even though I worked all day, it was still my rest day. Anyway tomorrow I'm looking forward to a fun group class, and possibly some weight training if I can find the time. On Tuesday I'm running after work at like 1030 am, because we're not doing our group run that evening. So at 5:30pm I'll be back for a Step class, finally! , and probably weights before if I don't get any done tomorrow.

Had an awesome day!!! I don't know, pretty soon my online journals gonna be more awesome than Robert's lol. Just kidding that could never happen.

Today was great I just had such a feeling of accomplishment at work. I also weighed myself first with shoes, then without. I can't do it unclothed as the scale is in the cardio area. Anyway without shoes it was 134.5lbs. So I am finally under 135.

Anyway after work I took the cardio dance class, and it was a lot of fun. Except the part where we were moving backwards, and I fell over some mats that were stacked up, and landed right on my butt. How graceful! I told the instructor later, she was quite upset she hadn't noticed, but I was quite grateful. Then I had an hour of training on fit linxx. The only thing I'm worried about learning is the computer part, the rest is just setting up the machines for the people starting to use them. I didn't quite get through all the machines, but I'll finish it later this week. Of course now they want me to use them when I train, so I feel more comfortable. I don't exactly love resistance machines, but I suppose I could use it as a warmup set, since it's a single set circuit that you go through.

Had an awesome day!!! I don't know, pretty soon my online journals gonna be more awesome than Robert's lol. Just kidding that could never happen.

Today was great I just had such a feeling of accomplishment at work. I also weighed myself first with shoes, then without. I can't do it unclothed as the scale is in the cardio area. Anyway without shoes it was 134.5lbs. So I am finally under 135. Anyway after work I took the cardio dance class, and it was a lot of fun. Except the part where we were moving backwards, and I fell over some mats that were stacked up, and landed right on my butt. How graceful! I told the instructor later, she was quite upset she hadn't noticed, but I was quite grateful. Then I had an hour of training on fit linxx. The only thing I'm worried about learning is the computer part, the rest is just setting up the machines for the people starting to use them. I didn't quite get through all the machines, but I'll finish it later this week. Of course now they want me to use them when I train, so I feel more comfortable. I don't exactly love resistance machines, but I suppose I could use it as a warmup set, since it's a single set circuit that you go through.

Yea!

Thanks John V.

Today I ran for 3.5miles after work, then I went back and took a step class. It was step circuit and also incorporated some weight training into the workout. It was a blast taking step again. It didn't even feel like I hadn't taken a step class in a month.

Thankyou everyone! It's so funny how things work out. The past several weeks I've been so tired. Anyway this past week I've restarted my insane time at the gym, and although I am doing so much more I also have more energy, and I am way less tired. I just feel like I always want to be active. Anyway with that thought in mind I will go to the gym later and do cardio jump and Body Pump. The only hard part in all this is that I am out of the apartment from 4:30am until like 7pm every weekday. But until I move back downtown I can't really do anything about this so I just have to deal with it.

Oh and before I forget to mention it I tried spirulina in my smoothie the other day. I ordered one of my favorites, and there was absolutely no after taste. I was worried because the girl told me there was, but then again I'm vegan and just eat weird food, ha ha! So even though it costs a buck more I think it's worth it to get the added benefit. I now need to rsearch spirulina and find out more about it, I guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

Ok, things didn't go quite as planned. I only did the first class which was cardio based. My brother needed the car, so we had to get it to him. Anyway I guess it's just as well because my legs were very uncooperative lol. I didn't realise until after I started jumping that my left calf was really tight, and that made jumping a bit more difficult than usual. I think maybe I overdid it yesterday going for a run, and taking the step class. Both focused on the legs, and then today with the cardio jump class made my legs feel like rubber.They're not really sore like when I do squats, or leg day, but they are tired.

Today I went for a quick 2-2.5 mile run. It was a fun run, ha ha. Anyway after that I figured I'd better use the fitlinxx system and get used to it. I only did one circuit of like 8 machines, there are four others I haven't been set up on, so I'll wait when I get more training for those machines. I know how to use the resistance equipment, it's just the computer part I need to learn. So after a boring kind of workout I left. These type of machines are fine for beginners, but I think once a person is used to advanced types of exercise, like free weights, hammer strength,etc. there's just no going back. But I know I need to learn the whole process so I'll dutifully use them for a bit. But I will definintely miss my free weights that I get a much better workout on. I think I will just have to use the single circuit equipment as a warm up in the future.

I also had another smoothie with spirulina in it. This smoothie consisted of raspberries, banans, and lime I think, and of course spirulina. I don't know if it's just me, but I still didn't taste it.

I'm off to the gym this morning to take Body Pump, and then run. Then tomorrow I'll take step, and Body Pump again. I wonder if I'll be able to lift the same amounts of weight tomorrow. Maybe today I'll go a bit lighter, and concentrate more on form. Anyway I'm about to go eat some waffles, they were on sale at Whole Foods, they say they're for kids, but they sounded yummy, vegan banana waffles.

Ok, where to start. Because I don't have a vehicle of my own, and have to share I got dropped off late at the gym. I want to concentrate right now on getting my cert, then I'll think about getting my own transportation.

Anyway I missed the warmup track, and most of the squat track. I was stressed from being late, so it wasn't the most awesome workout ever. After BP Iran outside for 3.5 miles. It was super hot outside, and I got back to the gym a bit overheated I think. So I drank tons of water, but my head is still hurting a bit. Then more transportation trouble so I got the bus, or should I say two buses back to the apartment. Then I walked from the bus stop about a mile to the apartment complex. That was my morning, How was yours, lol.

I will have a great workout tomorrow though becuse I'll make sure of it.

Oh and so far today I've eaten two banana waffles with syrup, 2 cups of coffee, a sandwich with delis slices and vegan monterey jack, and some pineapple slices, and iced tea.

My computer froze yesterday when I was halfway through entering my workouts, so today I decided to try it again:

On Sunday I had to take the bus to the gym, so I got an extra run when I had to run to catch the bus, lol. I needn't have bothered because it stayed at the bus stop for another ten minutes at least.

I arrived 15 minutes early and used the extra time to stretch a bit. Step class was so much fun. I had all this pent up energy, I'm not sure why, but it came in handy for my workouts. I was worried I wouldn't be able to keep up, since I've missed a month because I worked 4 Sundays in a row. Anyway I only had trouble on one new series of steps. It incorporated like 4 different moves, and turns it's a wonder I didn't bump into someone. The choreography was difficult, but fun. The instructor had said he had no energy, but he lied, he was all over the place, but kept calling out wrong cues, ha ha.

Then while I waited for Body Pump I filled in my running log. Body Pump was awesome too! I think for some of the exercises I even got to failure, not just fatigue. At the end though I did ask about going heavier on squats, and I had a nice conversation about them. I think I just need to use my legs more at the end to clear the bar over my head and I'll be fine. However if I don't post for a while it'll be because I knocked myself out, lol. So next Body Pump class I'm going for a 50lb barbell for squats.

Nope, not full squats, sorry to disappoint!

Oh and why are you upside down in your avatar veganmomma?

Anyway I may not get to workout today because I'm having trouble getting back to the gym this evening. But tomorrow I'm taking a step class, lifting weights, and will run with my beginner running group. So maybe I ought to take today as my rest day.

Nope, not full squats, sorry to disappoint! :lol
Don't wimp out and do parallel squats.
Oh and why are you upside down in your avatar veganmomma?
I like to feel the blood rush to my head, then stand right side, and feel light-headed and dizzy. It's healthier than consuming that poison alcohol.

Yesterday after work I took a step class, but it wasn't much fun, anmd I didn't get the best workout. It emded up being a substitute trainer, and I just don't get great workouts from him. Anyway later I was asked about the class by the group exercise director, and I think I was a bit blunt to say the least,lol. After step I did a circuit of the resistance machines, and left.

The best part of my workout was later that evening when I ran with the group. I didn't think I'd do that well because I was extremely tired around 4pm. But it was quite the opposite. I was actually in the lead the entire time, and finished first. It was only two miles, and if I hadn't had to get home early I ould have run for at least another mile. It just felt so good to run, that's the best I can explain it.