HSOrlandos 2013 Journal: Being vegan in a non vegan world

I've been walking a lot the past couple of days. Let me briefly explain. My brother has been getting extra hours this week, and he has to have the car. So this week on Tuesday, and Wednesday I had to be at work at 445 am, but my brother didn't get off until 5am. So I stayed at a friends place, near the Y, and have been walking everywhere.

Tuesday:

415am walked to the Y, approximately 3/4 of a mile I think

10am walked (about a mile) to where my mom works and covered for her, as she has to watch the grandchildren while my brother sleeps

4pm walked back to the Y (1 mile) did full body workout on resistance machines and then took a step class

done at 630pm

Wednesday:

415am walked to Y 3/4 mile

8am (short shift, close early for New Years eve) walked to Drunken Monkey about 1mile

930am walked to where my mom works, close to 2 miles

have not run yet this week but plan on running tomorrow, Friday and Saturday

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took a Body Pump class today, and boy did I get pumped!

My weights for the start of 2009 in Body Pump are:

Warmup- 25 lb bb- consists of 3-5 minute warmup doing bent over rows, squats, deadlifts, bicep curls, shoulder press, lunges, etc.

Squats- 45 lb bb 3-5 minutes with some very short rests

Chest-25lb bb 3-5 minutes short rests

Back-35lb bb bent over rows, deadlifts, clean and presses, and wide rows

Triceps-20lb bb lying on bench did triceppress, tricep extentions, stood up did tricep french curls overhead using 10lbs

Bicep curls-20lb bb 3.5 minutes no break slow movements

Lunges-held 2 plates in each hand did lunges with step, dropped plates, did lunge stepped onto step with back leg stepped back a few times at various speeds did both legs of course

pushups before shoulders, which I still don't quite get

Shoulders- started on floor with 2 five lb plates bent over lateral raise- straightened up but still kneeling did more bent lbow lateral raises- then stood up- a few front raises, then one arm in a front raise and one arm in a bent elbow lateral raise, I think they call this a mac raise- then finished up with some overhead presses ouch!

abs- slow movements crunch up extend arms to side and one leg staright and off the ground, then use the obliques and do a sideways motion while doing this- then finished off on our hands and knees using the barbell in a prone bar curl, or you could do a plank with a forward motion

stretching

Then I put on my running shoes and went for a run! I think it was close to 3 miles.

Ran today for about 3.5 miles.

Then I worked for 6 hours. But first I went to a specialty shoe store. The reason why, because my feet always hurt. I have various problems with my feet, and being active and on my feet all the time doesn't give them much rest. The reason they hurt a lot is because I've got high, high arches. Anyway hopefully now that I have a pretty decent arch support that will help my poor tired abused feet. Then I'll finally be able to run further than 4 miles at a time.

Edited by hsorlando

Sunday: Step was all I did today. I seem to be battling a tiny cold. Mostly I just have a headache, and sore throat, nothing major.

Monday: after work I ran for about 3 miles, with my arch supports in my shoes. The run went pretty well, but I was a bit worn out afterwards. Then I stayed for a 45 minute cardio strength class. I wasn't really up for the intense cardio segments, but pulled it off. The 10 pound weights I used though were too light for me. I should have gone with 12s, and 7s, not 10s and 6 pounders.

Tuesday:Step class

Wednesday: rest day

Thursday: ran about 3 miles, felt great, and pretty energetic too

After my run, which was in some beautiful 60 degree weather, I trained biceps, and triceps. Everything was pretty much 8reps and three sets.

Bicep curls: 12lb dumbbells

Tricep Extentions (skullcrushers)12lbs

Bicep wide curls 12lbs

tricep press 12lbs

bicep machine 25lbs

tricep machine 20lbs

bicep hammer curls alternate 15lbs

tricep dips off bench bodyweight only

Tomorrow I may take another rest day, because I am planning on going to a meeting for the tri club on Saturday. This all depends on my work schedule, and how I feel Saturday morning.

Besides my workouts this week I've also worked about 33 hours, including tomorrow.

Yeah I feel much better today. I could taste my food!

Anyway tomorrow the tri club thing is just a meeting, I think. But I'm going to see what's going on with the whole thing and maybe I'll incorporate some cycling and swimming into my routine as a result. After the meeting I plan on running and doing some weights. But maybe they have something planned to do as a group, idk.

OK, long but very fulfilling day. Went to the very very very packed tri club meeting. For parts of it I felt like I was listening to a foreign language. The head coach/trainer was talking about things like race paces being z1, z3, z5, etc. I enjoyed listening to one of the women talking about swimming. And I don't know how true it is, but the head coach was saying that the central florida tri club is the most structured one in the nation. If it isn't it's got to be somewhat close to whatever is number 1. I am seriously thinking of joining some of the training sessions during the week. I can't do the early morning ones because I work. I can do the evening bike rides, although I haven't actually ridden a bike outside in over 10 years. There are a couple of people at the Y that may join me, including one of the managers.

Anyway after the meeting I must have been inspired, and motivated because I ran for 5 miles. Ran to a downtown lake, and then ran 4 times around the lake which is just about 1 mile.

When I got back I ate, then headed to the weight room. Ended up doing full body workout for 3 sets, and 8 reps per set for almost everything.

Leg press: 90lbs, good range of motion, and tried to do it slow

lat pulldown: 1 set at 70lbs, 2 at 65lbs

bench press: 1 set at 15lb dumbbells, 2 sets at 20 lbs

bicep curls: 12lbs

tricep extentions/skullcrushers: 12lbs

lateral raises (standing. slightly leaning forward): 1 set at 5lbs 2 sets at 6lbs

Got a nice comment from one of the guys in the gym, I see hime every day that I work on the cardio floor, and he was just complimenting me on working hard

leg curls(prone) 40lbs

leg extentions seated 40lbs

seated row: ???

incline bench press: 15lbs

bicep hammer curls: 12lbs

shoulder press(seated) 10lbs

tricep kickbacks: 10lbs

then I had to quickly get ready for work, and worked for four hours

Not sure what I'm doing today. May take a spinning class. I'm not doing step because it's a sub instructor, and I never seem to follow other instructors very well during step. The regular instructor is running the Disney Marathon today. Technology is a funny thing, there's a way via text message that you can follow runners and see how they're doing.

Besides if I spin I might get a chance to talk to the tri coach as he's teaching spinning.

OK, long but very fulfilling day. Went to the very very very packed tri club meeting. For parts of it I felt like I was listening to a foreign language. The head coach/trainer was talking about things like race paces being z1, z3, z5, etc. I enjoyed listening to one of the women talking about swimming. And I don't know how true it is, but the head coach was saying that the central florida tri club is the most structured one in the nation. If it isn't it's got to be somewhat close to whatever is number 1. I am seriously thinking of joining some of the training sessions during the week. I can't do the early morning ones because I work. I can do the evening bike rides, although I haven't actually ridden a bike outside in over 10 years. There are a couple of people at the Y that may join me, including one of the managers.

Well you have to start somewhere's right ?

You have your running down. So what's two more?

Don't get discourage. If you want to do something then do it. !!

Don't get uncomfortable if you see your group meet up eating pancakes and other non vegan garbage.

Bring your owned and share it with others. There's usually a ton of fruit that doesn't get eaten anyways lol

That was my only fall back at people judging me that I wasn't eating properly. But I didn't care I wanted to race triathlons.

It was cool to know that I had another girl in my swim group that she was a raw vegan as well.

Most people don't join because they don't know how to swim properly.

Clubs do wonders and it makes you strong and confident. You make the best of friends, and you'll like that rush the it gives you.

You rock HS, I can't wait to read more about it in your blog.

Actually I took one of the head trainers strength classes once, and I was wearing a vegan bodybuilding shirt, and he mentioned that he had been vegan once. So I think I'll have support from most people there.

Of course they are having a social gathering at a burger place this month, I think I'll pass.

Well actually today it's overcast and in the 60s.

Today I did something different, and went spinning at 6am!

It was the first time I felt that I got a decent workout from a spinning class. I was very happy when the class was over. Then I did a 15 minute ab and stretch class.

Even if I never actually do a tri, I think I will definitely benefit from doing different things, and getting out of my comfort zone.

Tomorrow looks like it'll be weights, and running.

Will do my best to go to the tri swimming session on Wednesday morning. At least I don't have to be there until 6 am, 5 am is for advanced swimmers, and we were warned not to come if we were not advanced.

I woke up at 5am with very sore abs! I don't think I realised yesterday how advanced some of the abdominal exercises were.

Today after work I ran on a treadmill for 25 minutes. I was just playing around with the speed, incline, and basically doing unstructured intervals. I ended up going 2.4 miles. My fastest pace was like 6.8 miles per hour, I was not at this pace for much more than 30 seconds at a time. Most of the run was between 5.5 and 6.0 mph.

Then I did a full body workout using machines that are hooked up to a computer program that records all your info. I had a message from one of my co-workers saying that I've lifted over 200,000 pounds which is equivalent to 25 elephants. After my workout I had lifted 9,710 pounds, and that's with only doing one set.

Later on I plan on buying some stuff so I can go swimming tomorrow with the tri group.

OK! Went to Sport's Authority and bought my swimming gear. I got a new one piece swimming suit, swim cap, and goggles for less than $70.00. I can't really afford to go out and spend money, but it was better than just going out and buying a road bike for 500 bucks. That'll have to wait. Besides I have no clue of what I need to buy. So after putting money into this, I am definitely going to give swimming a try. No pun intended.

Well I did not swim yesteday. I was all set to, but the tri club was swimming in the outdoor pool, and it was 6am, and only in the 40s. If I was used to swimming I would have joined them, but I thought it was a bit extreme to have my first session in the 40 degree weather. Maybe next week it will have warmed up a bit. Anyway that pretty much threw off my workout, but I still managed a tiny bit of cardio, and three or 4 chest exercises. Then I walked for about 2 miles with my mom.

Today: No workout-rest day

Tomorrow: I work 6-12, and then plan on doing a cardio strength class,and then go for a run

Starting Saturday I begin my new work schedule. I will actually have 30.50 hours a week, yeah! Lately I'vebeen struggling trying to get 20 hours. Besides this I will also be helping my church a bit still, about 9 hours a week. So between two jobs I will be almost at 40 hours a week. And I will still have plenty of time to train too!

This is pretty much what my new schedule will look like.

Schedule starts Saturdays:

Saturday: work 8-2, run (longest distance of the week)

Sunday: work all day, this is the only thing that upsets me about my schedule as I won't be able to do the classes on Sundays anymore

Monday:Body Pump 6 am, work for church from 10-3:30

Spin @4pm with tri coach

Tuesday: work 6-12, run, then later on do Step at 5:30pm

Wednesday: swim at 6 am, I will start! then weights

Thursday: work 6-12, run

Friday: work 6-12, Cardio Strength class 45 minutes tri coach trains, work for church from 1-4pm

And besides what I have planned, occasionally I may change it up, and add a class, or a bike ride or something

Edited by hsorlando

Today I took the cardio strength class with the tri coach. I got to the class just as it began, right after work, so I didn't load my barbell very heavy.

The class was pretty fast paced with no breaks. Even though my barbell was extremely light I was getting fatigued at the end of squats, and lunges. I used 8 pound dumbbells for my free weights,and I'm surprised I managed ok on the shoulder presses,and tricep extentions. Everything else was relatively easy, so next time I'll have to go with the 10 pound weights, and definitely add weight to the barbell.