HSOrlandos 2013 Journal: Being vegan in a non vegan world

There's no keeping any secrets where I work. I didn't want everyone to know about my training session yesterday, but apparently everyone pretty much knows. Anyway it went well, except the trainer did say I don't count reps very well. I don't know any trainer that does!

Besides that I took yesterday off, and on Tuesday I just did a step class. I've been averaging 3 miles of walking a day, but have not had a decent run all week. I tried today to run, but it was too late in the day and too hot outside. So I used the treadmill but my legs seemed too tired from all the walking. Did Body Pump today, and I increased the weight for a few different sections.

Warmup: used to be 10lbs each side of barbell added additional 2.5 each side total 25lbs

squats: was 45lbs total, increased to 50lbs

chest:25lbs, 30lbs

back:30lbs, 35lbs

after the first three tracks I was getting quite fatigued, and had to miss a few reps during some sections.

triceps:20, 25lbs

biceps:20, 25lbs

lunges20, 25lbs

shoulders: 20lbs

abs and stretching

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow I get a day off! With the new cardio area open it's been a busy couple of days for me. I've had a manager there at 5 am to help.All morning I've been walking back and forth so many times between rooms that I've probably averaged 2 miles just walking at work. Anyway I'm taking the rest of the day off! My legs couldn't handle much more right now since I was squatting more weight yesterday than I ever have before.

Let's try this again! I was just about finished when the stupid imac just shut off on me.

Robert, Florida is quite sunny, and hot, and humid, and at times stormy too. Things are kickin too, at least I am in kickboxing,

DCNINJA, I am very busy, but it keeps me too occupied to think about depressing things like finances. Looking at your training log you are in no way lazy.

John, Thanks, Hopefully one day at work my commitment level will earn me some extra brownie points. I feel like I'm in somewhat of a rut with my workouts, at least with the running, because of the extreme heat right now. But at least my gym has excellent group classes, and lots of people to motivate me.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been quite a while since I updated this. Anyway I am borrowing a laptop at the moment and figured I'd better post something.

Tomorrow is my first day off in 13 days. Was supposed to be off last Sunday, but someone didn't show up, and I happened to get there to workout, but ended up working instead. I just didn't see any point in not helping, call me a sucker if you want. :lol

This past week hasn't been that great for me as far as workouts go because I have a sore foot. I have no idea why, it just started hurting. I've talked to several people and no one seems to think it's too serious, so that's good.

Last week I also slacked because I wasn't 100%. But I still trained 4 days both weeks. Tomorrow I am planning on running about 4 miles then stopping to get coffee, and something yummy for breakfast. I have not run in like 2 whole weeks and I miss it so much. I don't care how hot it is I'm running tomorrow!

I have not taken any kickboxing classes lately because none of the times seem to work for me, so that's a bit upsetting. But I did go and tell off the group director about it, lol. I'm getting back into Body Pump though, so that's fun. I'm also finally getting a bike. It's not a tri bike or a road bike, but I think it's exactly what I need to get used to riding a bike again. Then if I fiind that I'm serious about riding then I'll get a more appropriate bike for that. At least now I won't have to walk everywhere.

This morning I made myself go out for a run. It was so great. I ran 4 miles, and only took a mini walking break. My foot hurt only a tiny bit, so I think it's on the mend. This week I'm dogsitting for 2 people that I know from the gym. The dogs are so much fun. I didn't realize how much I missed having a doggie. Anyway I won't be able to pick up my new bike until Monday, but I'm only 2 blocks from work this week while dogsitting.

It was 13 days of working not working out.

Overworking, yes, overtraining no

In the very distant future I may one day do a triathlon, but not at this time. I mean I'm not saying no, because heck I never thought I'd do half the things I've done, white water rafting being one of them.

Back to my workouts. Today I will take a atep class, and most likely do a fullbody workout on machines.

Oh, and yesterday I had an intense 45 minute cardio strength class. The instructor was out to kill us, or maybe it was the airconditioning not working 100%, but we were all sweating profusely.

HA, that is what I get for reading too quickly. Overworked is almost as bad as overtrained. I recommend taking two days and vegging out. I still laugh when you say you are slacking off. Your training is about as disciplined as anyone I know.

Thanks, for the compliment about my workout routine. It's not much of a routine though, because every week I end up doing something different. I was hoping to go for a run today, but my foots bothering me a little bit. I finslly got my bike, it's not a tri bike, or a road bike, but heck it is a bike. I just can't figure out the lock that somone gave to me. I may have no choice but to buy a new one.

Anyway I have a meeting at work at 1, then I plan on working out. I may just go and investigate the new weight area, everything is being renovated, and moved around, so it's quite a scavenger hunt at times for your favorite piece of equipment. Before I do weights I'll do some sort of cardio machine, if I decide not to run.

• 2 weeks later...

Been working out pretty consistently the past few weeks. Just haven't been able to update because I haven't had a break. I am quite upset though about a work issue. One of the best managers is leaving. Me, along with a lot of other people consider him to be the heart and soul of the place, it just won't be the same without him. I already feel a void. Anyway there are still tons of great people there, so hopefully everything will be alright. I guess it just hit me hard, because I've been working with him 5-6 days a week, every week for the past year. Add in the group classes I take that he teaches, and I probably saw more of him than my family. I can't help but be saddenned by this. I guess I'll have to change my workout schedule now. Maybe it's time to stop taking classes, and just focus on running, swimming, cycling, and lifting weights by myself. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks. I'll try to be optimistic. I just feel like I'm losing not just a manager, but a friend, mentor, and quite optimistic person in my life.

Anyway enough about work! The past week I've done quite a bit. I ran, cycled, swam, done Body Pump, and Step classes, and lifted weights. I intend to keep up most of these activities too.

Hey Hayley!

Just wanted to say hi!

We now have reps in FL running the show for VEGA, so I'm not sure I'll be out there for VegFest unless I get my own booth....which I am tempted to do

I will keep you updated and if so, I'd love to have you work with me! It all depends on what I can afford to do as far as travel if it's for my own booth on my own costs.....and it's a very busy time, a different city every week during that part of the year...but here's hoping I'll make it!

It was 13 days of working not working out.

Overworking, yes, overtraining no

I know the feeling. but 13 days without a day off

At least you'll make good bank, then you can purchase new pricey gear

I was just thinking about you and hoping your training and work is going good

Take care hs

• 3 weeks later...

Been very busy! But that's a good thing. Works been terrific, the person who was leaving didn't leave and the whole atmosphere changed for the better as soon as people knew. Been training a lot. I'm finally getting back to running consistently. I'm up to 2 days a week now, and hoping to add a third day starting next week. I pretty much live at the Y, and I'm looking to buy the house that I've been housesitting at. Here's what a typical week looks like right now as far as my workouts go.It does vary abit. Inbetween my training I work, eat, and sleep, and try to get some other stuff done too. Right now I'm mainly doing classes because I really get a great workout from them. Monday to Friday I ride my bike to and from work which averages about 2 miles a day.

Sunday: run, when I get Sundays off I will be taking step, and Body pump

Monday:, cycling class 45 minutes, cardio strength class 45 minutes

Tuesday: step class, Body Pump class barbell strength training

Wednesday: run, swim

Thursday: cardio of some sort/ possibly a rest day

Friday: cardio strength class 45 minutes, run

Saturday: rest day

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought my first laptop ever!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the first day all week, I bought it Monday, that I've had time to go somewhere where there's free internet, and try it out. A friend at work, who's also a computer guru helped me with figuring out what kind of laptop I should get. Anyway I've been busy at work, and working out. Taking lots of classes which include step, Body Pump, cardio strength, and cycling. I'm also swimming, and running, and riding my bike outside. It sounds like I'm doing a lot, but I don't ever seem to lose any weight. Oh well, I feel pretty good about the way I look, but wouldn't mind losing 5-10 more pounds, That will probably never happen until I give up eating dessert, lol. Not much else to add except that I might be buying a house. Yikes! I'm probably crazy, but it just feels like the right thing to do.

As far as my progress with my workouts goes I've had a little. A couple of times I used a 50 lb barbell for squats during Body Pump. My swimming still sucks, but I'm slowly getting better at the breathing part of it, and keeping my head in the water. Step is still so much fun, maybe one day I'll be teaching it, even though its slowly fading away. I am still running, but struggling at getting back my consistency, probably because I'm doing a lot of things, and have to be at work by 445 sm, and can't run in the morning. By night i'm too tired, and that leaves me in the heat of the day for my runs. That's about it for now anyway.

Today I ran a 5k. I didn't start my run until nearly 11 am, I wanted to get to the gym earlier, but it didn't happen. It was super hot out, and I don't think I could have run much further. By the end of the run the heat was starting to get to me, and my head hurt a tiny bit afterwards. But I drank a bunch of water and fell good now. The run kind of drained me, so I didn't do anything else at the gym except cool down on a treadmill for a few minutes.

I really need to get a handle on my eating patterns, I know they should be better. I drink too much coffee, mostly because I'm starting work at 445 am Monday-Friday. I use soy creamer though, and Zsweet. I also have a tendency to eat dessert too often. I'll do good for a couple of days, even a week, but then I just start again. I don't eat too much, but what can I say I like vegan desserts. Other than that I would say my diet is pretty good, except that I need to eat more salads. I guess my main problem is that I don't like the kitchen, at all.

Veg Fest won't be the same without you there. Meaning it will be nice and sunny! Anyway if you don't get over heare to the East Coast I may have no choice but to come visit you in Portland, or LA. Keep me posted on what's going on!

Today so far I did Body Pump. As soon as my shift ended I set up a spot in the class, and only missed about 2 reps in the warmup. Then i walked over to a coffee bar where I am now sitting and typing away. Thank you wifi! Later I will go back and take step. Next week a new fall schedule for group classes comes out. I was part of a small committee that along with the person in charge of group exercise we came together and came out with a pretty amazing schedule of classes.

Anyway that's all that's going on here. Next stop Whole Foods to buy some food for my empty fridge.