Hemp Protein versus Soy Protein

There are a few people on the forum who swear by hemp protein. What is the benefit of hemp protein over soy? At the very least I suppose incorporating hemp protein would diversify daily protein sources, which is a good thing, but people have been saying that hemp protein is "better quality protein" than soy, which I guess is really saying that it is more bio-available??? Is there any evidence for this or is this just opinion?

Thanks for the information.

okay, I'm going to try and find you some more solid info on this, but here is my two cents.

I think that your body digests, breaks down and processes the Hemp very easily. I also like the nutritional stats on the Hemp. It has more amino acids than Whey and it is chock full of Omega vitamins. And it is a raw protein source.

I take in Soy as well. I think that one of the problems with the Vegan Diet and Soy is that it is easy to take in too much of it. I know that when I'm doing just Soy Protein, eating high protein tofu and drinking Soy Milk, I feel really bloated because it's soy overkill. That's why I think it's really good for the body to diversify the sources. I have some Gemma Pea Protein on order too, so I'm going to try and take in 3 shakes a day, 1 tofu, 1 hemp and 1 pea and I think that's a really healthy way to get in your protein because your utilizing different sources which are providing a wide variety of nutrients from all different sources. Especially because the Vegan diet cuts out alot of things, I think it is especially important to eat the most varied diet possible to get the full health benefit

Even though I'm sure you don't do Whey shakes (neither do I), I thought this review of Hemp versus Whey was really interesting:

http://www.fitstep.com/articles/nutrition/direct/hemp-protein-review.htm

So, although I'm not going to give up Soy and I still believe there are lots of health benefits, I think diversity of your Protein sources is a good way to go!

Also, back to your original question about evidence of bio-availablity, I spent an afternoon looking into that myself a couple of weeks ago and they're really weren't many studies out there about Hemp Protein. I'm like you... I want facts and evidence.

I think maybe it's because there are so many restrictions placed on the use of Hemp still that perhaps its hard to get funding for the studies??? I don't know, but I agree that I'd like some solid findings on the benefits of Hemp Protein. Right now, I'm just going by the way it makes my body feel, and it feels like it is more easily digested than any of the other sources.

DV would be a good source for this question.

It is certainly difficult to get a lot of information on hemp protein, unless it's from a company that distributes it. I'm not sure about its bioavailability. I do know that soy has been proven to have high bioavailability. As far as amino acid profile, I'll post the two links I could find that give them:

First, from the makers of Living Harvest : http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/livingharvest/hemp101.d2w/report

Next, from nutritiondata, profile of soy protein isolate : http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c218n.html

If someone desires, they can compare the exact amounts of each essential amino acid but I don't think it matters until we know exactly the ratios of amino acids necessary to build muscle vs. maintain muscle, etc. They both have all essential amino acids.

Definitely, soy protein is cheaper and gives more protein per 100 grams, less fat and much less (zero) fiber. However, the omega 6 to omega 3 profile is better for the hemp but it doesn't really matter since soy protein isolate contains so little fat. And most vegans get enough fiber.

I'm all for variety in diet and believe that hemp protein is a good supplement. I also think soy protein isolate is a good supplement, probably better than whole soy products if you are looking to add a significant amount of protein without the addition of omega 6 fatty acids (of which vegans get way too much).

Hemp protein powder and soy protein isolate are both new food/supplement products with no apparent negative side effects so far. Until this changes, using them as supplements could be considered safe and effective, IMO. At least as safe and effective as the dairy industry waste product known as whey protein powder.

I hope that was helpful.

Yeah I agree that soy protein isolate is great. I was taking that way before I went vegan and from the time I was 14-18 I tried pretty much every legal thing you could think of and I actually liked soy more than whey...this isn't a vegan thing and I was telling people to eat soy protein way before I even thought about not eating meat anymore. Hemp is great and I get it when I have the money but soy mixed with some flax and you've got pretty much everything hemp offers for less money.

One really nice thing about hemp is how it is still a whole food, thus containing all its natural phytonutrients and such. The only processing done on it is the pressing out of much of fat. The profile on soy is actually better as far as EAAs go, but as DV said, we don't really know what amino acid profiles are best for what. I get soy through whole foods, mainly TVP, which has the fat pressed out similar to hemp before it is lightly processed to have a chewy texture. I like it because it is so easy to prepare and really tasty. I use hemp and pea protein for my powders, though. I got some Gemma pea protein in and I am loving it.

Hemp has edesin (I believe it's called), which helps the body break down protein, or is very easy on the system to break down.

Facts aside, most people prefer hemp from the easy digestibility of it, though Josh, I know you seek the highest protein content available, at which point I'd say any kind of isolate (Rice, Pea, Soy) is better for you. If you can't find anything about hemp protein powder, I'd suggest looking up hemp as a whole seed and seeing the benefits you can get from that.