Do You Ever Cheat?

veggieprincess

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And for those of you that would never think of consuming meat or dairy.... what about other things.... for example your reading a label and it has a trace amount of Casein, or you see an item you want but it is made in the same facility that manufacturers something non-vegan.

I am curious to the extent that most of you take being a Vegan.

Your starving to death and the only thing available is bread that has Whey. Do you eat the bread or starve the whole day.....

How far do you take it?

I think you are either vegan or you aren't. Thats not to say one cant stop being vegan and then find their way back. But if eating meat or dairy is some weekly or monthly ritual then you aren't vegan. If one was ACTUALLY starving to death, I know I for one would eat whatever I had to in order to survive. However there is a big difference between literally starving and being hungry because you have trouble finding vegan food. Besides even the most redneck of places have produce. I hate this starving analogy.

I don't eat anything processed, but if I do, I will have to know what is in it. I want to see what it is I am eating. No weird chemicals for me. I stick to whole foods or as close to whole foods as it gets.

I have to be realistic though with my choices and buy what I can afford.

I was going to buy a package of green peas but it had salt in the ingredients, so I decided not to buy it. I don't know much about salt but my impression is that it is bad, with exception to sea salt. maybe there isn't enough salt in it to do harm?

If a choice to not consume something somehow could cause a negative effect on me or others, then I will usually compensate and eat a little (example a single cookie at some family event) to prevent any disrespect.

if I was on an island and had to survive, I would eat whatever was necessary.

this thread is quite provocative (in a good way).

It's really hard to admit "sins" in a community who stands for some ideals

However, i don't mind admiting that 2-3 times a year i might eat something that contains dairy. It happens when i'm in vacation and find nothing vegan to eat. But lately, trying to go more raw vegan, i find it a lot easier to buy some fruits and nuts in my vacations rather tha eat something that would compromise my personal ethics. At least that's what i did this summer.

When i first went vegan (4-5years ago), i did it only for health reasons as i was sick. Back then, i would eat some meat once a year but later Since i've learned about the ing reality that lies behind meat industry the thought of eating meat (even in hard times for me), never ever crosses my mind.

p.s. veggieprincess you havent told us yet...

No I don't. Because of my reasonings for going vegan. I am terrified of MAd Cow and went vegetarian then vegan. I am utterly scarred of consuming any and all products that contain anything animal related. and this has leaked to hygeine products too. I have become less afraid but te cravings just went away. So there is no need to cheat. If I did I would proaboably be worried lol.

I agree with darth.

That being said, when veganism was completely new to me and I was trying to get into it, I cheated on cheese a few times, then I just didn't want to anymore. That was a long time ago.

Well Said Zack and Darth

I wouldn't even consider of the idea of it either. It's apart of my lifestyle.

Good Post Vegan Princess

Edited by Tasha

I cheated with cheese a few times when I first went vegan around 6 years ago, but that's been a good stretch since those days. Everything was easy for me to give up except cheese, but in time after a few months, that craving went away. These days, it's pretty much just standard strict vegan fare, however, I'm sure that in dining out I've eaten something that had dairy in it but was told was completely vegan (you can never be 100% sure when you don't make it yourself!) I do recall about a year ago having some beans and rice at a fast food place and discovering a piece of rubbery chicken only after I'd attempted to chew it a few times, not knowing what it really was. That was some gross stuff

I won't eat anything that contains a listed non-vegan ingredient, but I will eat products from companies that aren't 100% vegan or who make their products on shared equipment (so long as the equipment is sterilized between the vegan and non-vegan production runs, as with 99% of all chocolate companies). That's pretty much unavoidable unless you're a purist - more power to people who can manage that, but to me, if it's a vegan product, it's a vegan product. In a perfect world there'd be a lot more all-vegan companies, but for now, we have to take the good with the bad, and besides, I'm not giving up my addiction to Terra Nostra ricemilk chocolate simply because the manufacturer isn't 100% vegan for all their products

I agree with Darth too...eating something every now and then makes you not what you claim to be. Its like the mostly virgin kinda person. We'll I think everyone on earth doesn't have sex more than they do(in terms of time) and that would make everyone a virgin....this is far from the truth. If I cheat on anything its eating a bit of junk food(all vegan of course)...VV didn't count because that was scheduled but two days ago a ate a bunch of Nature's Path brand oreos and thats about as far as a stray.

I agree with Darth and Zack. I never cheat on purpose. But, like VeganEssentials said, I am sure I have ended up with something non-vegan at a restaurant that I was assured was totally vegan. I also will eat things that are processed on equipment that processed dairy or egg, so long as the equipment is fully sterilized.

I eat things from conpanies that aren't entirely vegan. In Australia it is very hard not too. Also a lot of soy milk companies etc are owned by milk companies or similar anyway...

Sometimes when I'm out, I will ask all the questions and be assured something is vegan, then on the second bite, I find cheese or something so I throw it away.

When I first when vegan I would make myself throw up, to get it out of my stomach.

Now I sort of take the line, if you have asked all the questions and unintentionally consume something dairy etc, then it isn't really your fault and you have done your best. It's nice to think you can trust people.

If I am travelling and there is no vegan food, then I don't eat, it's simple (Fruits and nuts are almost always available). Once when travelling I hit a public holiday then caught an over night train, no food for 40 hours, but I stayed vegan

When I first went vegan 7 years ago, initially I wasn't sure what boundaries to give myself, or what I really considered to be wrong. So I wasn't so 'strict' on myself, and also sometimes I had cravings for certain foods and I gave into them initially. However, shortly after making the decision, I chose to be more serious about it, and I have rarely 'cheated' since. I avoid ingredients if I don't know what they are (chemicals, E numbers etc), and I do care about small amounts of animal ingredients, and will avoid them, but I guess from time to time there will be things I forget to check, like on drinks especially, but that's more forgetfulness than 'cheating' really, if someone said "Hey that's not vegan" I wouldn't say "Who cares", I'd stop having it.

First of all, labeling of any kind is totally unimportant to me. The label 'vegan' included. It's only a word I use when I need to eat out or make an explanation shorter.

I've knowingly cheated once during the last year. My dad had baked for the first time since the fifties and I just had to taste. Also there might have been vitamin D in something I drank. There might be more, I don't know.

Veggieprincess, what is your vegweb name??? This was just a topic on there!!!

So I don't call myself a vegan because I "cheat" very often. I consider myself a vegitarian who trys to avoid all animal products as much as possible. Times when I might eat a little dairy/egg in something are when I go out to eat, either restaruant or relative/friend's house. Or if someone comes to my house & brings something to share.

So I don't call myself a vegan because I "cheat" very often. I consider myself a vegitarian who trys to avoid all animal products as much as possible. Times when I might eat a little dairy/egg in something are when I go out to eat, either restaruant or relative/friend's house. Or if someone comes to my house & brings something to share.

So far, this is the only Vegan/Vegetarian forum I belong to Lisa

ummmmm

Once I've committed to something, I'm an all or nothing kind of gal. Going vegan has been like that for me-even the thought of an animal product or something ressembling it (I hate tofurky kind of products) truly s me. For me now, the struggle is to commit to raw because I cheat often with that. My resolve is getting stronger and stronger however.

So far no, I haven't but yesterday I was really tempted, which is what made me think of the thread.

I don't know why but my body was crying out for a chicken breast yesterday. I never even liked eating meat and I never have missed it one bit, so it made me wonder why I was craving this so bad (I don't even like chicken), and if I should give in because my body might be trying to tell me something. I fought off the urge and today I feel fine, but that was the only huge craving I had, so that's why I posed the thread.

cool.

Sometimes i get such cravings too (for dairy not meat) but i know it's all in my mind 'cause it happens when i'm somehow frustrated with something. I think the more we train ourselves to our natural diet (vegan) the less we get these fake cravings. i'm pretty sure it's the mind that plays games to us. Not the body. Raw vegans that i talk to, tell me that there comes a day when your body just craves for what is really natural to it and that is not meat and dairy...

good post veggieprincess.

I've been Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian for 21 years (since I was 7 years old) and Vegan for 5 years with a 1 year break.

Meat: I remember when I was 10 years old, and just came out of a dentists appointment. I hadn't eaten breakfast or lunch, and my babysitter took me out get something to eat. She got chicken wings and I got pizza. I don't know why, but she offered my a chicken wing and I ate it. Maybe it was the hormones that drove me to do that? Who knows...

The only other time I've ever tasted meat (including fish, etc.) in the last 21 years was when I was 15....I was at a party and they had a cheese plate. I saw this stuff that looked (and tasted) like pepper cheese, but apparently it had bits of some sort of meat in it (unbeknowst to me). That was a total accident so I didn't feel guilty at all.

Dairy/Eggs: I check labels and am good at avoiding non-vegan things now. However, I did go back to being a Lacto-Ovo-Veg after 2 years of Veganism. This lasted for a full year. I would eat pizza, have the occasional omelot, eat dessets, etc. I realized that I was doing a complete disservice to my body and to animals....so I stopped kidding myself and got back on the Vegan train. I stopped being Vegan for what (at the time) were important reasons...but after a short time it became clear that I was just being lazy. So...you can say I've been Vegan for 5 years with a 1 year hiatus.

Other Stuff: I do have some leather products (belts, shoes....) so I guess in a pure-sense I am not even Vegan now! Oh well...I've never been one for labels anyway.

Ravi

Edited by Ravi

So far no, I haven't but yesterday I was really tempted, which is what made me think of the thread.

I don't know why but my body was crying out for a chicken breast yesterday. I never even liked eating meat and I never have missed it one bit, so it made me wonder why I was craving this so bad (I don't even like chicken), and if I should give in because my body might be trying to tell me something. I fought off the urge and today I feel fine, but that was the only huge craving I had, so that's why I posed the thread.

I have a lot of friends that tell me things like this..."their body says they need milk"..."their body craves red meat," etc. I wonder how much of that is just a deep rooted mind-body connection that hasnt been purged out...or even just a symptom of not having a nutrient rich diet.

For me...I have a craving for pizza like 24x7...but I know there is nothing innately magically about pizza that my body really needs ...it's all in my mind and emotions. I have lots of happy memories eating pizza with friends and family...and this has an impact on me (consciously or subconsciously).

I remember when I went raw for 2 months...my cravings went away completely. I didnt even crave cooked food! It was really bizzare. I think having a high nutrient dense (as opposed to calorically dense) diet really puts a damper on the cravings.

i remember going to a party when i was really young and didnt know anything, and they asked me if i wanted a hotdog, and i had one, but I only ate it because I had eaten veggie dogs at home and couldn't concern the difference between a dog with meat and one without (they didnt tell me it was meat).. only when my mom came and picked me up did she find out i ate a hotdog and told me it had meat in it, and i was all shocked by this discovery..