Do You Ever Cheat?

veggieprincess

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are either vegan or you are not.

Vegans do not use or consume animal products of any kind.

People who 'cheat' or 'make exceptions' or whatever are the reason that I have to deal with the general public asking me if I eat fish, cheese, etc. when I tell them that I am vegan.

Very few people if any are truly 100% vegan.

All we can do is as much as we can to reduce suffering.

I know that... But knowingly eating non vegan food and still claiming to be a 'vegan' makes you a vegetarian/asshole.

I agree.

Very few people if any are truly 100% vegan.

All we can do is as much as we can to reduce suffering.

I know that... But knowingly eating non vegan food and still claiming to be a 'vegan' makes you a vegetarian/asshole.

I agree.

I am glad you do I was starting to get concerned.

• 4 months later...

I agree with Offense74. The word "vegan," to me is just a label that has different meanings for different people. I obviously believe in minimizing our usage of animal products, but I'm not sure that a "true" vegan exists. Anyone who has put gas in his or her vehicle is not a "true" vegan. I believe that veganism is an ideal, a state we all try to achieve but inevitably fall short of. I can't criticize someone else's "cheating" when I cheat every time I fill up my gas tank. I think that anybody who actively strives to avoid animal product usage is on the vegan path and can, therefore, consider themselves vegans- if they want to label themselves at all.

Having said that, I don't think the term "vegan" would extend to a self-proclaimed vegan who gets a craving for a cheeseburger one day and heads to McDonald's.

Mike

I've accidentally consumed dairy products a few times. Once it was actually at a vegetarian restaurant, and they put regular milk,instead of soymilk into my coffee. The guy apologized a hundred times, probably thinking we'd sue the place. And I think once I missed an ingredient in a bread. The only other time was when I had a surgery procedure, and I'm almost 100% positive that the meds were not vegan. I do my best to buy products for cleaning that are vegan, but sometimes I can't afford them. I think with a vegan lifestyle we will always be finding more ways to be a better vegan. I just hope people don't get discouraged, and give up forever. I also have to admit one time I went to an Ihop, and I went off my vegan diet, and ate some dairy products, and eggs. I still feel terrible about my weakness that day. If I remember I was very, very, very hungry. But even while I aye my breakfast I felt guilty. I actually think that by cheating once, and feeling consumed with guilt about it, that it made me a better vegan afterwards. I know this sounds crazy, but I swore to myself I would never do it again, and I have made a big commitment to the animals that I can't with a clear conscience break.

I agree with Offense74. The word "vegan," to me is just a label that has different meanings for different people. I obviously believe in minimizing our usage of animal products, but I'm not sure that a "true" vegan exists. Anyone who has put gas in his or her vehicle is not a "true" vegan. I believe that veganism is an ideal, a state we all try to achieve but inevitably fall short of. I can't criticize someone else's "cheating" when I cheat every time I fill up my gas tank. I think that anybody who actively strives to avoid animal product usage is on the vegan path and can, therefore, consider themselves vegans- if they want to label themselves at all.

I agree completely, another example is that pianos have deerskin somewhere inside of them(I dont know the technical name for the pieces).

I'm going into a profession that gets a good chunk of its research from animal testing. Does that mean I'm not a vegan? I'm not really sure, labels aren't really my thing. I actively promote veganism and cut out all animal products that are possible while encouraging others to do the same.

As far as cheating, I've really recently made the full transition to vegan and I don't see myself cheating. While transitioning from lacto/ovo to vegan i ate some dairy in social situations when it was hard to avoid it and I hated it. I kept thinking, "once I get this settled out I'll never eat this garbage again" and so I just can't see myself giving up on that.

I cheat in veganism as often as i cheat on my other moral principles - not raping women and children, not using murder as a vent for frustration and anger, not stealing from the elderly etc.

Go figure

P.S.: didn't read the thread,just the very first post.

I cheat in veganism as often as i cheat on my other moral principles - not raping women and children, not using murder as a vent for frustration and anger, not stealing from the elderly etc.

Go figure

This doesn't tell us how often that is, just that it's equal to the number of rapes, murders and thefts from the elderly that you've committed

Go figure

If anyone sees Daywalker consuming animal products, contact the authorities immediately. Other crimes may be afoot!

J/K, Daywalker

Mike

DW ..... love your sig! So true!

Cheat? Not that I am aware of ..... the reason I say that, is I check all my ingredients. But who knows if the server at a rest is telling me, or frankly even knows what is in something (mostly have this issue, when trying to communicate with the servers at a Chinese or Mexican place, re: broth in the soup or sauce, egg or lard in the dish, etc ...... they tell me "no....only vegetable" ... so, fingers crossed). Some things are obvious, but other aren't so much. Blatantly cheat .... no. I'm do not eat nor crave, a steak, cheese, etc.

Go figure

This doesn't tell us how often that is, just that it's equal to the number of rapes, murders and thefts from the elderly that you've committed

that was hilarious

Go figure

I was fully aware of that

Go figure