Skin Problems

Ever since I became strictly Vegan, my skin has been terrible. I have never had a problem with breakouts before, and now, my face is covered with pimples

I've even cancelled a couple of dates because of it. The frustrating part is that I've NEVER had bad skin. A pimple or two here and there, but never all over like this. Its like my skin is producing much more oil than it used to.

Any insight as to what could be going on? I'm taking in 60 grams a day of Hemp. Could it be too much Omega 3/6????? Those are the only fats I allow myself... the ones naturally occuring in the hemp. I don't know, just trying to think of what I've added different. Thoughts? Solutions??

Hmm, it could just be your body responding to a totally different source of nutrition. I know I broke out alot when I first became vegan. My skin is pretty clear now though. Sometimes I get a little oily, but I wash my face with a natural organic soap when I feel that way and then it's fine.

I have been experimenting myself to see what works for me in getting rid of my acne, and have found that eating lots of green vegetables helps a lot. My favorites being brocolli, brussel sprouts, green beans, kale, asparagus.

I tried introducing potatoes, but got negative effects when i did that (i wanted to try replaceing some brown rice too see what would happen).

I didn't notice any bad effects when eating whole grain brown rice(i was eating alot), but my right nasal hole got clogged completely for like 5 days and didn't know what the cause was, so i switch to potatoes temporarly..

I think the nose thing was just some freak occurance, maybe based on some allergies, but its possible it was from the rice and I have yet to reintroduce the rice..

also, ever since I stopped eating cooked beans and nuts and upped my greens, my acne has deminished greatly. I have yet to reintroduce beans and nuts.

I have though had some peanut butter a couple times since, and have noticed my skin get alot more oily after eating it and have stopped for good eating peanut butter for the time being.

I also eat whatever fruit I can afford. Papayas, apples, grapes, cantelope, tomatoes..

also, I stay away from bananas as they seem to make my skin oily too.

whether any of what i said will help, i do not know.

Have you changed your makeup, cosmetics or soap since becoming vegan? Many people do. If so, you might now be using something that irritates your skin.

Until you find out the cause you could wash your face morning and night with a teatree-based face wash. Aloe vera might help, too. But, then again, it might not.

With either or both of the above (should you choose to use them), it would be best to try it on only one side or one area of your face in case it doesn't agree with you.

I second that but since this is not in the raw section I would suggest to post it there again (if you are interested) so that there is no major bedate here

I have no complaint about it.

She isn't a raw foodist, It doesn't belong there. If someone has a problem with the fact that "Detox" was said, then they need to chill.

They are really weird bumps too. Very very large and spread out. At least it's not that kind of acne that is all in one area and looks really gross. These are more large red bumps spread far apart.... which is kind of just as bad though because they are HUGE! The one on my forehead is like a 3rd eye starting at me.

I had weird bumps too when I converted to a whole food diet.

Like big red pimples that wouldn't go away.

Mostly on my chest, stomach and the back of my neck.

They just kept getting worse for a couple months

Then one weekend I got very sick, like food poisoning symptoms.

It lasted 2-3 days. After that the bumps went away.

I had weird bumps too when I converted to a whole food diet.

Like big red pimples that wouldn't go away.

Mostly on my chest, stomach and the back of my neck.

They just kept getting worse for a couple months

Then one weekend I got very sick, like food poisoning symptoms.

It lasted 2-3 days. After that the bumps went away.

Yep, that's what I have! They are on my chest and back too. Big red hideous bumps.

Two months!!! I can't wait that long

Maybe I outta go get myself a good dose of food poisining

i think its either two situations..

you body doesn't need whatever it is getting or has too much of something and hence is eliminating it somehow..

or your body needs everything its getting, but it is a better quality of whatever it currently has so it is eliminating the inferior stuff to replace it with the better stuff.

I'm probably totally wrong though in my reasoning.

here's a wild question, are you sleeping differently in any way? could be checmicals on the sheets which may be aggrivating the skin. sometimes the indredients in products change without you knowing.

also, a crazy theory of mine which proably has no truth, is that maybe how you treat your hair is related to acne. Your body naturally tries to oil your hair, and when you wash it, all that oil is removed, so your body has to reoil it. so your body probably gets better at doing it and also adapts to put out alot of oil. so to counter this, short hair would not require much oilage from your body..

it probably has no truth, but it helps to think about these things.

Are you getting enough zinc in your diet? Most vegan diets lack in zinc, and this could be the cause of your acne. When I made sure my diet had enough zinc in it my skin looked clearer than ever, so you might want to give this a try. Good luck!

This question is about your topic

it may seem a strange question

but have you recently started tanning? The reason for asking is I broke out a little when I started going. But it'll clear up.

I started tanning for the purpose of getting vitamin D in my skin.

I like your quotes Veggie Princess

and your name one for being you are the as same ie as Vegan Potters

This question is about your topic

it may seem a strange question

but have you recently started tanning? The reason for asking is I broke out a little when I started going. But it'll clear up.

I started tanning for the purpose of getting vitamin D in my skin.

I like your quotes Veggie Princess

and your name one for being you are the as same ie as Vegan Potters

I don't think its the tanning because I wear a very wide brimmed hat and lots of sunscreen on my face (I tan outdoors), although the sunscreen could be contributing to clogged pores I'm sure but I'm not risking wrinkles.

You know, I definitely think it may have been a zinc thing.

The more I see these things, they are not like pimples. You can't squeeze them and they are larger than any pimples I've ever had on my skin. They are red large bumps, definitely in line with what it says is the beginning symptoms of zinc deficiency.

I took Zinc for 2 days so far, and I don't know if its my imagination or not by they actually look better already.

Thanks Warlock!

It's still not going away. And I'm not as patient as those willing to wait a couple months. Way to vain of a So Cal girl I guess....

So I broke down and got some acne medication. Yuck!

I'm actually making it sound alot worse than it is, but I just hate it. This stuff says it's supposed to clear it up within 3 days. I'm sure hoping so

Although it's a tad bit pricey, I personally use this Beauty Without Cruelty 3% Alpha Hydroxy Facial Cleanser which helps me clear up. I use this on my face instead of harsh soaps. Also, although it's expensive, it lasts quite a long time if you use a small amount once a day.

http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/46451/200.jpg