Where do the majority of your calories come from?

Zack

I was listening to Dr. Fuhrman talking about expanding nutrient density in your diet through cooked and raw vegetables as the basis of calories in a diet.

Right now the majority of my calories probably do come from vegetables.

Where do you get most of yours? Fruit? Grains? Vegetables?

Just curious.

Bananas are my main source of calories and depending on the day peanut butter and jelly sandwiches maybe be a close second or slightly out number my banana calories.

Macaroni! Though I do eat a lot of vegetables, they are pretty low in calories. For example, a kg of cauliflower (my favorite vegetable) is still only 140 calories. To reach my goal of 3500 - 4000 calories a day I'd have to eat insane amounts of vegetables.

I've been eating less sweet fruit in the past few months, and moving more towards the vegetable fruits (cukes, avocado (not going crazy with it though), tomatoes, peppers, etc), and eating more greens, so it's moving towards a balance *mass* wise, but calorie wise it's still probably a little higher in the fruit category.

right now my calories come from Pasta mostly. I don't eat enough veggies and Fruit as I want to. I want to slowly begin a mixed plan of all raw veggies and fruit and only cooked pasta. but monye stopes me.

If you're only going to eat one cooked starch, there are several better foods to eat than pasta.

Hemp Protein Shakes, Pea Protein Shakes, Soy Protein Shake.... boring, boring, boring... Protein Shakes coming out my ears...

Lots of green veggies, peppers, onions, and some frozen berries and golgi berries... that's basically it right now until I reach my goal, or until my new Nutritionist rights up my plan.

Can you tell that I am so sick of protein shakes.......

right now my calories come from Pasta mostly. I don't eat enough veggies and Fruit as I want to. I want to slowly begin a mixed plan of all raw veggies and fruit and only cooked pasta. but monye stopes me.

If you're only going to eat one cooked starch, there are several better foods to eat than pasta.

So be helpful and name it!

I eat alot of stuff. In a given day I will have fruits, potatoes, RICE, pasta, oats, soy protein stuff, wheat protein stuff, pea protein smoothies, and probably lots of other foods. I honestly don't know what the most calories come from. I eat alot of carbs, but I also eat at least 200g protein daily. So I guess I really don't know, the only things I'm taking into active account right now is to eat 6 times a day, to eat protein rich foods, and to eat at least 200g protein a day, to reach my particular goals.

Flanders I love how you capitalized MELON! Have you quit with the occasional social cooked meal?

No. I still eat 2-3 cooked meals per week due to social reasons. We (especially my partner) want our daughter to see that we all eat the same for dinner. I try to eat as little cooked food as possible since each time I do I feel bloated and get tired afterwards. Last friday e.g. I was on a wedding party of some friends (where smoking was allowed ) and the next day we visited Marlas great grandmothers and I ate bread during brunch and cake in the afternoon. On Sunday I had a big spot on my cheek (which I usually do never have) and got the sniffles on monday (which I did not experience for about two years). Maybe it is just sheer coincidence - but I do not think so.

yeah, i think too that some dairy could cause worse reaction than just cooked vegan. But on the other hand, when you're used to eating raw, the body adopts and even healthy cooked food feels "heavy" in the stomach.

My calories mainly come from raw nuts. Raw almonds, peanuts, Cashews (i LLOVE them), avocados. and some chickpeas and lentils too.

Edited by health freak

Since I made the cake it was (of course) vegan (thats me and you)

IMO it was the combination of eating so much (for me) cooked food and being in a heavily poluted room for such a long time.

Fair enough. And you know I love ya like a brother Flanders. A crazy, waterfall and river jumping, fruit-eating brother.

Since I made the cake it was (of course) vegan (thats me and you)

IMO it was the combination of eating so much (for me) cooked food and being in a heavily poluted room for such a long time.

Fair enough. And you know I love ya like a brother Flanders. A crazy, waterfall and river jumping, fruit-eating brother.

You forgot about the retoxing and rawfood-addiction I suffer from! It is all that raw junk that makes me do crazy things

Btw: I love you, too, brother!

So be helpful and name it!

Any kind of bean, rice, quinoa, amaranth, etc. I don't know how much you're going to disagree with me, Josh, but I think wheat is terrible for the body (with how many people, including myself, are allergic to it), and that anything on that list is going to be better.

How is it terrible, assuming you don't have an allergy?

I meant because normally foods that are common allergens aren't all that great for the body anyway. There was a discussion about how wheat also feeds fungus growing inside the body too (Kathryn made a post about it a long time ago), and that it's a very big mucus producing food.

I was listening to Dr. Fuhrman talking about expanding nutrient density in your diet through cooked and raw vegetables as the basis of calories in a diet.

Right now the majority of my calories probably do come from vegetables.

Where do you get most of yours? Fruit? Grains? Vegetables?

Just curious.

Zack, I've read Dr. Fuhrman's book - Eat to Live. I think you might be missing the point. Dr. Furhman is an advocate of lower calorie, higher nutrient (nutrient dense) foods with an emphasis on green leafy vegetables...

When building muscle mass, as you know, you need extra than usual calories. How many vegetables would you need to eat in order for the majority of your caloric intake to be from green leafy vegetables?

I like Dr. Fuhrman's book - but I don't know that his ideology is very bodybuilding / weight gain friendly. I think he is more or less concerned with longevity and weight loss or low weight maintenance.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...