To teach or not to teach?

michaelhobson

What do you think of teachers/teaching?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, I'm going to California University of Pennsylvania in January to start the long process of becoming a teacher. Yes, there is actually a town in Pennsylvania called California! Along with other such fine towns as Jersey Shore and Intercourse. Now, I would be a lot happier going to Pennsylvania University of California if ther were such a thing, but alas I am stuck here in Pennsylvania and can't move to California any time soon.

My motivations are to earn a reasonably good salary(yes I know what teachers make) while doing someting reasonably worthwhile, helpful and non-destructive, and to never work in the summer again for the rest of my life. Being a teacher is the best thing I have come up with so far, and having thought about it for a lot of years, figured at age 35 I better go ahead and get started.

So, what do you all think of teachers?

I think that being a teacher in itself isn't a 'good' thing, because you can be a good or bad teacher. Some teachers I had at school were total asswipes, and were just awful. However, there were some good teachers too, who I think are really valuable in providing good role models and support, as well as teaching their subject competently. I think it can really change someone's life for the better to have a good teacher. I think it's a tough job, and a worthwhile thing to do with your time definitely.

My motivations are to earn a reasonably good salary(yes I know what teachers make) while doing someting reasonably worthwhile, helpful and non-destructive, and to never work in the summer again for the rest of my life.

That's why I did it more or less. I'm two years in and haven't regretted it yet. Feel free to pm me if you want at any point to chat about it.

I'd probably do it for free (actually I did part time for a year). I can't say that about most jobs I've worked.

There's also some nice travel opportunities. And options to get into different fields still working with kids/education

As a teacher you do have the opportunity to make a positive impact, but it entirely depends or yourself. What are you gonna teach, and to who? In my limited experience there's a huge difference between for example high school and university. Anyhow, good luck! My advice to you would be to start teaching as soon as possible, nothing beats experience.

My motivations are to earn a reasonably good salary(yes I know what teachers make) while doing someting reasonably worthwhile, helpful and non-destructive, and to never work in the summer again for the rest of my life.

That's why I did it more or less. I'm two years in and haven't regretted it yet. Feel free to pm me if you want at any point to chat about it.

I'd probably do it for free (actually I did part time for a year). I can't say that about most jobs I've worked.

There's also some nice travel opportunities. And options to get into different fields still working with kids/education

I'm thinking about becoming a teacher after I get my B.S. in physics and minor in mathematics. For all the reasons you guys posted. Also, it's probably the most ethical thing one could do with a degree in physics (Raytheon and Lockehead Martin aside ).

I think the world of teachers if they went into teaching wanting to teach. Lots of people go into teaching because they can't find anything else which is sad but there is no substitute for a teacher that really wants to teach.

I think the world of teachers if they went into teaching wanting to teach. Lots of people go into teaching because they can't find anything else which is sad but there is no substitute for a teacher that really wants to teach.

I know. There's a huge difference between somebody who is passionate about imparting information to other people, and someone who is just teaching to make a living. I wonder which one of these people I might be everytime I think about being a teacher.

I am working on my degree to become a high school English teacher. I am looking forward to it and think I will enjoy it. That said, much of the reason I am doing it is so that I can make money with my English degree and have plenty of vacation time to focus on writing and traveling. I do love teaching people about stuff, though, so I hopefully won't be a douchebag. I want to work on my master's degree during my time off also and possibly move on to teaching college later.

alot about teaching in my opinion from my perspective of a student is about prepareing the student for the world and future.

Sure, you can focus on getting the highest grades from your students, but to me i feel theres alot more to learning than just memorizing facts. So I tend to appreciate the teachers which put in the effort to make the students experience unique and interesting. It also helps me get excited about wwhatever the subject is if the teacher emotes a sense of excitement in what they are doing.

and have plenty of vacation time to focus on writing and traveling.

When I was teaching at highschool, it was the most demanding job I've ever had... But of course, the long holidays are a plus!

Haha, I do expect to have no time to myself during the school year. I am just expecting to have plenty of "me" time during the breaks.

Yes, we should start a conspiracy to indoctrinate the children of the world into a vegan diet!

It seems that would be easy, I was surprised today to find two teachers and an education major at today's event of the Pittsburgh Vegan Meetup. Apparently vegan teachers, like vegan cupcakes, are taking over the world.

Yes, we should start a conspiracy to indoctrinate the children of the world into a vegan diet!

It seems that would be easy, I was surprised today to find two teachers and an education major at today's event of the Pittsburgh Vegan Meetup. Apparently vegan teachers, like vegan cupcakes, are taking over the world.

Woo! I hope to find some vegans in my field now.

• 2 months later...

I think the questions for the poll could have been improved. Radio buttons were used, but the choices were not mutually exclusive nor were the choices necessarily about the same issue.

Having said that I think good teachers are very important.

I think good teachers are not adequately rewarded and I think they are under- appreciated.

I think that is part of our anti-intellectual culture. If you haven't rent a copy of the fun, but dark comedy "Idiocracy" ( from the producer of "Office Space" ).

I've known a lot of teachers. They tend to be very civic minded, caring, intelligent and nice people.

The experiences in their job are often thankless, even beyond the financial perspective. I also think their jobs must be frustrating because their opinions are often not heard nor valued as they should be.

However, I do know that teaching does offer great intangible rewards when teachers are lucky enough to see the differences they make in people's lives when students work hard to work with them.

I think the questions for the poll could have been improved. Radio buttons were used, but the choices were not mutually exclusive nor were the choices necessarily about the same issue.

Having said that I think good teachers are very important.

I think good teachers are not adequately rewarded and I think they are under- appreciated.

I think that is part of our anti-intellectual culture. If you haven't rent a copy of the fun, but dark comedy "Idiocracy" ( from the producer of "Office Space" ).

I've known a lot of teachers. They tend to be very civic minded, caring, intelligent and nice people.

The experiences in their job are often thankless, even beyond the financial perspective. I also think their jobs must be frustrating because their opinions are often not heard nor valued as they should be.

However, I do know that teaching does offer great intangible rewards when teachers are lucky enough to see the differences they make in people's lives when students work hard to work with them.

Yes, there are great intangible awards to be had. One of my favorite teachers, a man who inspired me to want to teach, died of ALS about a month ago. There was a huge gathering at his remembrance and at a benefit for him months before that. He was told by many students before he died how incredible and impact he had on their lives. If you are a teacher willing to take time with your students, above and beyond what is required of you, they will take note of your kindness and willingness to help them learn and become better people for it.